1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need to make two moves...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by metalspd, Feb 2, 2001.

1. metalspd

metalspd New Member

The Rockets I believe need to make two moves before the trading deadline:

1. Let Dream go. The situation has been a big dirstraction to the team and it has been shown the last two ball games.

2. Trade Kelvin Cato. This guy has not been the answer and to get anyone for him will be a big deal. They someone who can play with some fire.

------------------

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Doesn't Cato come off IR now?

Maybe we'll see something happen now. The Rockets' effort has been erratic, very off. I agree about the Hakeem distraction. Whatever the holdup is, I hope it ends soon.

Shandon played 12 ineffective minutes. Has he, too, given up? "Guess what, Shandon, you're part of the trade package?" Very dispiriting game.

------------------

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

If Cato comes off the IR, does that mean that Doc Rocket will have to come back & modify his cryptic message? IR/_1x

------------------

4. treeman

treeman Member

The man hasn't even played for weeks (KC). He's gone.

I'd expect Jason Collier to get a few minutes here pretty soon.

------------------

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Metalspd,
    Could not agree with you more!

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dream - I dunno . .. I'm torn on what to do with him
    I still got love for him but , . ..
    this team is distracted by SOMETHING . . .
    This is the worse they looked all season .
    and other than the dream situation . . .what
    has changed?

Cato - I think we should play him. Let's
    see if he has anything. Maybe drive up his
    trade value.

Rocket River

------------------

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Agreed Rocket River. Play Cato until his trade value increases(then ship him outta here) or until he keels over. I didn't realize it until yesterday, but the guy is simply injury prone. He always has been. Look at the history. He never played in Portland and has played a total of 7 games with us this season. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm holding nothing back. This is Cato's LAST shot to redeem himself. Either sack up and play or get the hell out!

------------------
    "Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives,
    but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is." -- Barbara Bush

8. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

If Cato comes off the IR, who goes on? Also, how can you drive up the trade value when he gets hurt every time he touches the floor?

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

9. treeman

treeman Member

Chance? He's had a year and a half of chances. Unfortunately, he's been injured for at least half that time. Maybe he could've proved himself in a full year and a half?

Maybe he should wear kneepads? Or goggles?

His trade value has been dropping for over a year - ever since his first preseason double-double with the Rockets (after which we immediately signed him as the next Hakeem!)... And I of course mean that in value/psychological terms, not absolute $ (as his contract is baggage). Should we let it drop for another year before we cash it in?

He IS an investment, ya know...

------------------

10. DaneB

DaneB Member

Maybe the infamous "IR/_1x", means that we are waiting until Kelvin Cato somes off the IR to trade Hakeem to the Grizzlies, with Cato and Rogers going to the Heat. We get some cap fillers from the Heat and we get Shareef from the Grizz. I think if we were able to swing a dea like this, all we would really need is to get a feel role players through the draft and we would be set.

------------------
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/houstonrockets2000

11. treeman

treeman Member

DaneB - How could we possibly move both at the same time (Hakeem and Kelvin) capwise? Isn't that close to a $23 million movement, with Cato's contract tying up another $30 mil or so in future commitments? Elaborate...

------------------

12. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

We can't play Cato!!! If we plan to trade him, we can't let the rest of the league realize that he sucks!!! [​IMG] He's impressing more people on the IR than he's ever impressed on the floor.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

13. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

How realistic is a trade involving Cato? Since he's full BYC, wouldn't that mean that Chicago or the Clips would have to be involved in a deal? (since they have the capspace) When does he come off BYC anyway?

------------------

14. Valio!

Valio! Member

This from cbs sportsline:

The Phoenix Suns have expressed a season-long interest in Dikembe Mutombo but head coach Scott Skiles said that talks with the Hawks regarding a possible deal for the 7-foot-2
    center have cooled, according to the Arizona Republic.

MAybe this makes Cato more attractive...

------------------
    The nuggets suck...i know, i know