1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'd like to see anyone try to be positive about this.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Feb 1, 2001.

Tags:
  1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

One game, regardless of how heartless, talentless, energyless or lack of effort cannot determine a team's fate for the season. I know you're all just pissed (and yeah, I watched the game, so am I) but this team is quite capable of bouncing back, IMHO.
    Maybe not against San Antonio, but, we will bounce back.

As far as keeping to the subject of the post...I'll get back to you. [​IMG]

------------------
    Jazzkiller

2. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

The only player who verbally showed his displeasure was Carlos Rogers, and I was glad to see that someone showed this shouldnt be happening.

------------------

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Its not the loss that is dis-hearting but the lack of effort, intensity, emotion or desire. Perticularly at a time when we are suppose to be making a playoff run!

Sure we were missing our leader for one halfe, but I thought one of Mobleys strong points was suppose to his fire and intensity that he brought to the game. And how about Mo? This was suppose to be his chance to finaly show L.A. what they missed out on.

------------------

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

nothing new. I can never find anything positive in your threads.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Its not just one game, its two in a row now...and at home where we never play well for some reason. If it were just one game I think we would be a lot more forgiving.

------------------

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Cat,

I am not and will never be a basher, this has been my view for a while. Since about the end of November i suspected we weren't good enough. And the longer the season goes on the more I am convinced this teams only consistent trait is to be inconsistent and till they over come that we will struggle to get above .500.

This does not make me a basher, just a realist who loves listening and watching the rockets play warts and all. Patience is the key and once the key players in Steve and Cat mature we will have a shot at being great, but that takes time.

I was heckled prior to the season after I posted about my views on the poor quality of our Defense and Front court and how it would stop us from major success. I stand by my views and have had them justified by their play so far this season. What does it say if we can't contain the offensive powerhouse in the Heat and Clips. The perimeter D is getting better but still needs vast improve and as it stands who in the front court is going to intimidate and stop and opposition penetrator from driving to the rack! There is currently no on on the rockets team or strategies put in place that scare opposition players from coming into our key way, we have to own the keyway at both ends of the floor and we are along way from doing this on the defensive end.

So if you want call it bashing then do so Cat, but you won't catch me criticising individual errors, turnover, mistakes, airballs, heaves cause no one ever plays a perfect game and they will all happen regularly in a game.

Smeg

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Smeg,

I understand that. I do feel we need a shot blocker in the middle to stop the penetrators before we can go far in the playoffs. But I think as we grow together we will make a run this season. I don't consider that bashing-- just the way you presented your last statement without backing it up, etc. just came off similar to bashing when I read it. Sorry about that Smeg.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Teams win and lose games, not individuals.

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Cat,

No probs are looking at the rest of Februarys schedule maybe a run is possible with 9 games against Eastern conference teams and 3 against Western conference teams.

If we could go 8 and 4 maybe

But how do you measure success, for this team is has to by improvement, which i have to remind myself instead of thinking NBA finals.

Smeg

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

9. sithpooh

sithpooh Member

A true fan can handle losses, even to the worst team in all of professional sports. A true fan can handle the missed shots, the bad passes, and so on. A true fan CANNOT, however, help but get pissed when your team flat out QUITS! Many fingers can be pointed, and many bones can be picked. Rudy's not to blame. This is a team of followers, and not leaders. Blaring case-in-point: Shandon Anderson. This guy is such a bust, and I'd love to see him go. He doesn't try, he's inconsistent, and he only comes to play when he's facing his old team, the Jazz. Maurice Taylor. An overweight, foul prone quitter. Sure, he has his moments, but the game is more than one quarter long. Of course, he's usually on the bench after the first few minutes of the 1st quarter because of fouls. He refuses to play defense, and he knows nothing of rebounding fundamentals. Walt Williams, the "Wizard". He plays like an old wizard who is afraid to cross the 3-point line. Steve Francis is having a phenomenal year. At the offensive end, that is. Yes, he's had some great defensive stops here and there, but he still can't stand next to the Glove. You wonder why he wasn't voted to the All-Star team? Cat Mobley. Again, a very one-dimensional player. The bright spots? A few. Let's start with the Mooch. This guy busts his butt every night for the NBA minimum. Kenny Thomas and even Carlos Rogers give their all. If Cato can ever get healthy, the Rockets might be a team to watch. But long gone are the days of true hustle. I remember watching guys like Allen Leavell who would leave their guts on the floor every night. That's what I miss, and what the NBA needs, or at least what the coaches need to stress to all these punk kids who would rather play ball than even attempt at getting an education. Don't get me wrong, if you have a calling to play pro ball, then that's what you should go for. But the NBA is not a developmental league, as you're expected to know the game. I don't know what else to say about the 2001 squad. Let fat Mo go, and let Shandon go play conservatively elsewhere. Let the Dream retire, and get in the hunt for Webber.

------------------

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Steve Francis actually played good defense today, and pretty good D in the Miami game after the 1st quarter. It was Mooch who was getting killed by Dooling/McGinnes. I do love the effort Kenny and Carlos bring. Cuttino is a great on the ball defender, but it seems like he's been getting burned by not seeing picks coming lately. Also he doesnt put a hand in the face once he closes out, so the shot is uncontested even though he played great D up to that point.These games happen. Deal with it.

------------------

11. Scarsdale

Scarsdale Member

Dan Langhi was 1 for 1
    Jason Collier was 2 for 2
    Carlos Rogers was 4 for 4

------------------

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I appreciate those who actually did respond with positive answers. I forgot about Carlos. He really was a positive. I think he should be the sixth man, in fact, because he has so much heart.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited February 02, 2001).]

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Thank God I missed todays game. I would have started crying....

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    GIANTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I have a few positives for you, ZRB:

1) Your reactionary posts have gotten better. Instead of generalized, blanket statements about the Rockets, you stated specific reasons why this game was bad.

2) You had the foresight to create a separate thread for Rocket bashing. I'll be sure to avoid that one.

3) I missed the game. Apparently that is a huge positive, from what I have read about the game.

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

Asking the question: What is more dangerous, an AK-47 or a scooter?

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Taylor had a pretty good game, despite the lackluster attitude out there.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

ZRB,

here's a positive:

at least we're one game closer to hakeem leaving.

thank you,
    verse

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Maybe the org. is proving that we are tanking the season. We will waive hakeem and trade next years first pick to the HEAT in exchange for some players ... or maybe its vancouver since they are looking for good picks ...

------------------
    its all good and fun till someone gets hurt ... then its absolutely hilarious!