1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thanks Dream...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kidrock8, Feb 2, 2001.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

For distracting the Rockets to the point that they get their asses handed to them by the Clippers...

The guy is a cancer on the team and he needs to be released immediately... I don't give a damn about how "we need him to help us"... Help us go where? 10th seed? Face it, Rockets couldn't be playing any worse than they are now, at least do it without this hanging cloud...

CD and Rudy need to do us all a favor and pull the plug on the "Dream"... Ironic that the "Dream" is creating a nightmare for us...

------------------
    Check out my homepage! Loads of sports pics!

http://www.public.asu.edu/~sykim/

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

oh, lord.

I would normally say, "Be gentle" to everyone but I don't have the heart.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

3. themugg

themugg Member

Well I'd usually disagree with you concerning Dream(because he's still one of my all time favorite players) but I have to agree with you, the Rockets do need to do something with him!!

------------------
    TheMugg

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Steve: "Hey Cat, how could you miss a wide open dunk on that fast break??"

Cuttino: "I'm sorry, Steve, but I was just thinking so much about this Hakeem situation, that I lost my concentration and missed..."

I'm sorry, but this whole "Dream is creating a distraction" talk is pure B.S.

Dream doesn't play enough to cause a distraction....The dude can't be averaing more than 25 minutes per game this season. I'm pretty sure that Steve, Cat, Mo, Shandon, and company aren't thinking about Dream's trade requests while trying to run a high pick and roll...They lost these two game because they couldn't hit their outside shots and played EXTREMELY poor defense...plain and simple...

The "distraction" theory that everyone seems to be obsessed with is simply a cop out...Now, if Olajuwon were playing a bigger role in the offense, THEN you might have an argument

Back in '91-'92 when Hakeem was faking hamstring injuries....THAT was a distraction because he was a major cog in the offense...This skid is due to inexperience and growing pains

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

lol [​IMG]

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

6. Hasher

Hasher Contributing Member

Actually, I don't think the Rockets should do anything with him. Let him play over the next few weeks at his own pace. He says he's happy with Rudy's use of him now, let's see how he responds. I'm sure Les and Rudy are thinking the same thing. He certainly got shown up by Olowokandi tonight, maybe he'll take it out on the Spurs.

I think his teammates and coach understand where he's coming from and this is no big deal to them, as he's not being asked to contribute as much to the team and they've had to learn to play without him often this season. If he ends up in Miami, best of luck.

------------------

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Oh ok, so I guess ADVERSITY such as this has no affect on a young team? I guess young teams are immune to playing on emotion...

When Olajuwon was on the IL, the Rockets seemed to be playing a little better or with more effort than when he came back... Therefore I think that his shananigans might have the slightest affect...

Believe it or not, there are intangibles that win games, it's not all athleticism... If that were the case the Bulls would be a good team...

I would say the Clippers too, but we all know how good the Clippers looked tonight...

------------------
    Check out my homepage! Loads of sports pics!

http://www.public.asu.edu/~sykim/

8. Live

Live Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I like Olowokandi and think he's going to be a good NBA C in a few years, but NO WAY is he supposed to be showing up Dream like he did last night. Watching their matchup made me both sad to see Dream outplayed by an underdeveloped player, and at the same time satisfied that my wish for Dream to retire was somewhat validated.

But as Howie Long once said, "The player is ALWAYS the last to know when it's over, and up to that point, he thinks he's the baddest SOB on the planet".

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston

9. treeman

treeman Member

I'd tend to agree with "Hasher", whoever he is. This particular situation can sit on the burner for a bit, and all the rest of the team has only to keep playing & improving.

I personally wouldn't even take these last two losses very seriously (beyond what they do to our lottery chances). This team is going to miss the playoffs this year. Next year, they're practically a shoo-in - as long as they play the offseason right.

Hakeem IS GONE after this year. Period. Swallow it, live up to it, face it...

Since he's not making a significant contribution at this point (if he really was, then we wouldn't have had a game like last night), he can stay or go as far as I'm concerned. That's up to CD & Rudy.

We've always got to honor the man for bringing us 2 championships, but we don't have to take his senility... Not at the expense of the current ballclub. Life goes on.

BTW, did anyone notice that the Rox were much worse off tonight without Steve? In the first half? I wonder if Hakeem noticed?

I think Rudy's playing games here. I hope it works.

------------------

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

A-Train,
    Your example was a bit extreme. No, that conversation would never take place, but isn't it possible for a distraction like this to cause some dissention and frustration in people, thus creating some lack of concentration and focus? It happens every day to normal folks in their workplace, why couldn't it happen in sports?

It is not BS my friend....ever gone through a company merger, or layoffs?

I will be the first to say that the Rockets should concentrate on their games and not let this bother them, but reality says that Hakeem, the cornerstone of Houston for 17 years, wants out. Everyone on that team, I am sure, is waiting with baited breath to see what will happen with their aging star, and likewise, who will replace him, and how they will fit in, if anyone comes aboard at all.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited February 02, 2001).]

11. RickQuick

RickQuick Member

It doesn't matter who or how professional you are, when a supposed-to-be-leader on your team tells the world he wants out because you are going nowhere, then it will affect you. It does not help that half of the team is already rumored to be traded. What we have here is a lack of confidence in each other, in the coaching staff, and in the game plan, compounded by a lack of heart. The only thing that is going to solve this is for someone to pull a Mario Elie, and take over the team. Though he left here bitter, he was the heart of this team, and willed them to win. That is what is missing. maybe Bird can come out of retirement.....

------------------

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Well I guess the Kobe/Shaq situation isn't affecting the team? I don't think Dream's situation is causing the Rockets to play to the extent that they are, in fact a little EFFORT would have helped, but it does contribute to it. How can you trust a teammate that keeps going public BEGGING to be traded or even waived from the team? And what if that teammate is as respected as Hakeem Olajuwon? I once worked at a business that was slowly dying, and even though I got out of there before it went out of business you better believe it was a distraction to everyone involved and affecting our work.

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .