1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans wrap up draftee signings

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2011253

Camp opens today with conditioning test

Tony Hollings, who could be the workhorse running back the Texans have been seeking, won't have to kick open the barn door after all to get onto the field when two-a-day workouts begin Saturday.

The coaches will be more than happy to flip the latch, and they just might roll out a red carpet. Hollings, who along with second-round draft pick Bennie Joppru, signed four-year contracts Thursday, has been cleared for full participation during training camp and won't be placed on the physically unable to perform list, as originally feared.

Third-round selection Dave Ragone signed a three-year deal Thursday, essentially concluding the Texans' negotiations with draft picks.

Hollings, whom the Texans selected in the supplemental draft this month, had knee surgery more than 10 months ago, but the Texans have been so impressed with his workouts they see no reason to put reins on him.

"He's a go," general manager Charley Casserly said. "After having him here for two weeks, we feel the next step is to put him on the field. We're going to be cautious, but we are going in with the attitude of putting him on the field and seeing how he responds.

"When we took him, we all knew he would be better in three months and better three months after that. It's going to be a steady process, but we're excited about getting him on the field for the start of training camp."

Texans players began filing into the Medical Center-area hotel that will be their home throughout training camp, and with the exception of sixth-round pick Drew Henson, coach Dom Capers can be assured everyone will be on the field for today's conditioning test, which signals the start of training camp. Henson, the team's only remaining unsigned draft pick, is playing minor-league baseball in the New York Yankees organization and was not counted on to be in camp.

Ragone's deal had not been finalized when he checked in to the team's hotel Thursday afternoon, but his presence was a positive sign, although he tried to downplay his check-in with a bit of humor.

"I needed a place to stay tonight, so I hope they let me stay," said Ragone, whose deal is worth $1.35 million, including a $440,000 signing bonus.

The Texans originally believed Hollings would have to open training camp on the PUP list, meaning he could not practice with the team but could be activated at any time during training camp. If a player starts the regular season on the PUP list, he must sit out his team's first six games.

"I always thought I would be out there doing everything at the beginning of training camp," said Hollings, who got a four-year contract worth $2.3 million with a $933,000 signing bonus. "I'm clear. I'm ready to go. It's been almost 11 months, and I'm just ready to get on the field. At the same time, I know I can't rush anything.

"It was up to the front office and what they wanted to do. If they wanted to hold me back, there was nothing I could do about it. I'm just happy to get everything out of the way so I can get ready for camp. Now, it's just a matter of me getting in here and getting caught up with other guys."

Although Joppru, whose deal is worth $3 million, including a signing bonus of $1.635 million, didn't have the cloud of an injury hanging over his head, his sense of urgency to be on the field Saturday was just as strong.

"Me and my agent decided there was no way I was holding out," Joppru said. "When I signed with my agent, that was one of the stipulations -- that I was going to be in camp on time. I think it shows maybe a little bit of a bad image on yourself when you don't get to camp on time, maybe a little arrogance."

Casserly and director of negotiations Dan Ferens got all of the draft picks (excluding Henson) signed by the start of training camp for the second year in a row. That's music to the ears of quarterback David Carr, who needs all the help he can get in leading the offense, which ranked last in the NFL, out of the dumps.

"Coming into my second year, I haven't had to worry about guys holding out or all the things that other quarterbacks and other position players have to worry about -- guys not showing up or some guys staying back at home," Carr said. "We haven't had to worry about that. That's a sign that the people up top know who to bring in and a mark that the character on this team is really strong."