1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ SIMPLE FIX ] There's a simple fix to end all the hacking!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BamBam, Apr 11, 2015.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Fans can help by blocking the defender running after our guy in the stands ;)

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is a great idea. Let's just foul their worst free throw shooter no matter who it is, all game. Make it an hours long free throw contest between Smith/Howard and their worst FT shooter whoever that would be. The game becomes too boring so the NBA decides to do something about it.

3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Can he run off the court lol

4. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Have the rowdies create a barricade

5. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

This suggestion is probably the best alternative to the rule that I have heard. Making it optional does in fact eliminate the loop hole. Its like a penalty you can decline in football.

Making the game more entertaining to watch is the biggest reason here. Its the reason they added a shot clock because they didn't want to see people holding the ball until the game is over. Fouling to shoot free throws isn't TRUE basketball either so I think a change needs to be had.

However I don't like the idea of changing rules because a current tactic that exists benefits some teams more than others. (A change would greatly improve the Rockets but not a team like the Blazers with bigs who can shoot FTs well) and what do we do about the last minutes of the game? Do we just implement that loophole back in the last 2 games? If we do then what is the point? TMACS 13 and 33 would have that asterik that says pre-bonus ft rule change because the Rockets implemented a tactic that was so unfair that the NBA eventually changed it

6. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Malice at the Palace: Toyata Center Edition? :eek:

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

My apologies, like the ideal however your seeing the product of AAU in your face. Most European bigs can shoot free throws why are expecting less from our players. This is your job, stop practicing threes and hit some free throws!!!

8. knucklehead3321

I 100% agree with this it will eliminate most hacking, but still give the opposing team a chance to foul. I have been saying this for years. The hacking makes the game extremely boring...I've been sick of it since shaq days. I've also considered having the FT's count for 2 pts each when foul is off the ball. We would see less hacking, but some teams would still risk it. I also wonder when we'll see someone start shooting FT's ala rick barry underhand or banking the shot. Theese big guys have such a tough time with free throws because of the size of their hands, but shooting underhand could help improve alot of guys FT percentage. It have large hands can palm the ball, I sometimes find it easier to shoot ala rick barry and I get alot of laughs because it is unorthodox, but it helps me when having a bad free throw shooting night.

9. bmd

bmd Member

Late game fouling will not go away because the fouling is done to the player with the ball.

So this rule change would have no effect on late game fouling.

10. bmd

bmd Member

This is nonsense. As long as there has been basketball, big guys have had trouble at the line. Wilt Chamberlain is one of the worst free throw shooters ever.

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't care if it is legal or beneficial or anything. It is horrible to watch. It ruins the game. I have always hated the Spurs, but I was quickly losing any respect for them as well as they resorted to a cheap, pathetic, wimpy way to play the game. In the second quarter, in the third quarter and most of the 4th quarter.

Sure, it is very easy to say that if our players would only hit their free throws then this wouldn't happen. And yes, that is true. But it doesn't change the fact that it is absolutely pathetically boring to watch.

eff the Spurs.

12. photojoe

photojoe Member

Tim Duncan is a 74% FT shooter this season.

Josh Smith is a 51% FT shooter this season.

Not only would this be absolutely terrible to watch. But it would not end well for us.

13. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Thank you. At the end of the day it is played for the enjoyment of fans. I hated it when it was done to shaq and every player since. I want to watch the game of basketball, not this crap.

14. dylan0023

dylan0023 Member

IF McHALE HAD HALF A BRAIN

TOOO bad McHale, never played any CHESS or was a Point Guard or even had an Offensive Coach who is not STUPID....

In the 2-Spurs games.

1. We should have lobber endlessly to Howard and Jones especially when we
    got down and at the end of each quarter and the end of the game for the
    WIN....

2. With the Spurs intention fouling;
    Whether the Rocket Player hit the first shot or not the player should
    just have thrown the ball, like a baseball above the square and it would
    have bounced passed the free-throw line and we had 3-players and the
    Spurs would of had only 2-players back there.

THIS SHOULD BE OUR PLAY EVERY TIME THESE 25% SHOOTERS COME
    TO THE LINE, FOR EVER

The Shooter could have tapped the ball to another Rocket as he was in the line of the shot

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't want it fixed. You deserve to be ridiculed if you cannot make FT's at an acceptable level in the NBA and also if you're coach cannot make the necessary adjustments to counter it

If smart coaches like POP want to expose McHale and our poor FT shooters, so be it.

16. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

You may be on to something about fouling back for strategy. So little time goes by and you can sub out someone like josh or Joey. Why couldn't Mchale think of that in the most important game of the year?

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

You know they're not getting paid millions strictly because their FT shooting is such a strength, right?

18. BAM

BAM Member

I don't see how these guys have been playing basketball all their lives and get paid millions of dollars and cant make a free throw :confused:

19. itony

itony Member

why not just make a circle around the worst free throw shooter so they can't get to them without fouling the guy on the outside?

20. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Some have said to change the rule where you are allowed to only hack 1 or 2 times per quarter. After that, it is free throws and the ball for the other team.

Others say to increase the minutes to like under 5 minutes for each quarter, so you would have to hack for the first 7 minutes. Hacking after that it will be FTs and the ball for other team.