1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 24, 2014.

1. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Also let's remember he is 22... He has time.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros have released Minor Leaguers:
    Ydarqui Marte
    Colton Cain
    Jose Solano
    Tanner Mathis
    Francis Ramirez
    Vince Wheeland
    Chris Munnelly</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/580496522208514048">March 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

So, Robbie Grossman is the only player left in the organization from the Wandy deal.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FWIW Wandy had lost most of his trade value at that point. We went through about a year and a half stretch where we traded mediocre trade pieces, for a random grab bag of mediocre prospects to see if anything could stick. Nothing from that particular trade appears to have stuck. although Grossman is having a great spring and still could provide value, not likely though IMO.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Grossman has outplayed Wandy so not a bad deal even if inconsequential so far. While Grossman has lost some shine, he will be an excellent 4th OF and I still think he has a small chance to be a regular if someone can exorcize Engsberg out of him.

#185 Joe Joe, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. shutkip

shutkip Member

And sadly Wandy is pretty much out of the league too. He's on a minor league deal with the Braves.

7. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

So I know for those of you in Houston this isn't much closer than Corpus, but the weekend of May 9th, the Hooks will be playing in San Antonio.

Me and a buddy are planning to go, but thought it would be cool if a few Clutchfans made it out as well! Maybe we will get to see Correa and Appel!

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Jarred Cosart going all Pete Rose.

Idiot.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I would be extremely surprised if Cosart bet on baseball games, especially ones that would indirectly affect his team.

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I bet that as easy as it is to place a bet these days, it happens more than we think

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

One thing Ed Wade did to piss me off was not trading Wandy sooner. He could have traded him in 2010, but kept him and then signed him to a reasonable extension, but kept him for the one cheap year of deal.

He's been somewhat effective this spring, and his velocity has bounced back some. Very good chance he get back to the majors.

12. The Beard

I don't think Wade was allowed to trade veterans for prospects at that point. Drayton didn't believe much in the importance of a great farm system. Once Drayton have him the ok to sell off vets, Ed did well

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They traded Oswalt & Berkman in 2010, and in 2011 traded Pence & Bourn.

14. msn

msn Member

But didn't Oswalt request a trade? Memory is fuzzy.

15. The Beard

Yes he did. I just think Drayton had a very heavy hand in everything that went on

16. msn

msn Member

I think so, too. Makes me wonder how much Purpura was really to blame, in fact.

17. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

So my friend, who is a big Rangers fan, came into my apartment yesterday (to watch Rox) talking mad ***** about how the Astros were still a long ways away from really competing and how the Rangers were going to win the World Series in about 2-3 years.

This obviously infuriated me, but I couldn't debate him when I don't know anything about the Rangers farm and I have some doubts about ours. If the Astros sucking major balls for 3 years doesn't result in at least a division title reasonably soon, I'm going to be sad. Are the Rangers still going to be better than us when we have all our big guns in the majors? (~2017) I'm talking Corea-SS, Moran-3B, Altuve-2B, Singleton (who rakes)-1B, Castro and some outfield combination with Springer (battling Stanton as the best RF in MLB)Marisnick/Phillips?. I think Velasquez is made of glass. SP-Signed Ace/Appel/Keuchel/McHugh/Feliz as the starters. Are my hopes too high for this team? Are the Rangers going to kick our ass in 2017?

18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Wait - didn't we finish last year better than the Rangers?

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We were better than Texas last season, and we're probably gonna be better than them this season too. The rangers sucked lasy year, and they lost their ace pitcher for the season, and likely part of next season.

Both teams have really good farms. Prospects are unpredictable, so I don't see any reason to feel stronger about one over the other.

FWIW, I can say with some confidence we are closer to winning a WS than the Rangers right now. We could challenge for the playoffs this year, although I wouldn't bet money on it.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Would Cosart bet money on it? :)