1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before You Praise/Kill the Rocks, You Had To See It Live

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, Jan 12, 2001.

1. ktfirstbsktnewmillenium

Man, Franchise has been playing awesome!

------------------
    This is ktfirstbsktof01. I changed my email address, and I put it in the profile thing. I spelled it wrong, so I can't get my new password. Do you guys know how to recover the password? I can't use the forget your password? thing, cause the email address I put in is invalid. I'll use this username until I can restore my password.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

There is a name I have not heard evoked in a number of years. He was suppose to be the guy to take Buck Johnsons job.

Mobley kind of reminds me of Derrick Chevious with some of his wild shots. I guess Mobley can get his to drop a little more often [​IMG]

------------------

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I wouldn't say it's the first time. There have been a number of games this year that the lack of motion has caused the Rockets to perform poorly. Luckily last night the Knicks weren't hitting their shots(it wasn't because of the Rockets defense!) and we got the win. Unfortunately more often than not that won't be the case.

Everything else you said was pretty dead on. The refs weren't calling ticky tack fouls, but they weren't calling the game on both ends of the floor through the first quarter. Mo' hacked a few guys for sure, but he and Walt got their fair share of punishment and the refs let it go.

Sorry Crash5179, but you need to check that video because at least 3-4 of those offensive calls were bogus. They even used one as an example on ESPN that no way in hell was an offensive foul.

Anyway, I don't mean to complain, but it was an ugly officiated game.

ktwhateverthehellyournameis...no offense, but please lose that stupid signature. It looks ridiculous when your sig is 5 times longer than your post. A piece of advice, put your sig in an e-mail and send it to clutch at clutch@clutchcity.net . He should be able to point you in the right direction.

------------------
    Go vote for Steve Francis for the All-Star game!! You only have until Sunday!!

Vote for Francis!

[This message has been edited by RocketsPimp (edited January 12, 2001).]

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Was the call ESPN used the same one where Walt fouled out? I still can't beleive that the refs called that one. I agree that some of the offensive fouls were bogus...but most of the 9 were legit. Overall though I agree with you, the officiating sucked and was very one sided until the 4th.

------------------

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's not fair to compare Jason Collier to a draft bust because: 1.) He's still a rookie, 2.) He was playing well until he was injured and now he has to re-learn the system as a rookie. Collier will be fine.

------------------
    "I have a scale at home and it only goes up so far, I love that scale!"
    - Charles Barkley
    TNT Studios

6. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Thanks, Almu and Rocket Rich.

I'll be giving y'all a first-hand account from Staples next Friday ... wonder if Shaq will be gone by then? [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by wrath_of_khan (edited January 12, 2001).]

7. MManal

MManal Member

I think we should adopt a new way of evaluating our draft choices. Every time Rudy T doesnt take the player we expected, lets trash that player into oblivion. Even if he's done well so far, lets just trash him b/c he isnt a freakish athlete. Why cant Rudy just stack up a bunch of "ballers" with huge hops and freakish athleticism? How dare Rudy select system players like Jason Collier even though he fits this team like a glove. Who gives a crap about team chemistry? Rudy has only watched miles of tape on Collier and knows full well that he needed a pick and roll big man that can play inside/outside on the team, but he is an idiot b/c he didnt pick someone else the "experts" had targeted. I think this draft will set our re-building back 2 yrs like the so called draft experts running around New York were saying on draft day. Anymore enlightening conversations with the New York draft niks?

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

8. Arnel

Arnel Member

he he, nice post mmanal

------------------
    against all odds

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

You hit #4 right on the head.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

[This message has been edited by Lil Francis (edited January 12, 2001).]

10. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Good to be back, guys.

Clutch,

First let me say that you still keep up with this site even after the birth of your baby? Mine is not even born and the preparation has caused me to lose like 12 pounds. I got 2 weeks til the baby gets here and I am already stressed out!! [​IMG]

As to the game...

There were bad calls in the game. I should edit that part which I will do. But, while alot of people are focusing on the overall officiating, I want to focus on the inability to get to the line during this game, especially since this is the first time a defense has actually exposed the Rockets lack of motion and creativity away from the ball. The Knicks guarded the Rockets well and BEAT the Rockets to the spot each and every time(well, maybe except one or two). I looked right at the circle because I just couldn't believe what I was watching. To me, the only one that made the right decision in reference to dishing or attacking the basket, was Moochie. Francis didn't do it enough for me to judge.

HeyPartner,

I WISH I had season tickets. This was a request I put in a LONG TIME AGO for these corp seats. I haven't been to the Garden since 1992 when I saw a Janet Jackson concert. He happen to finally get the people in our company to give me some seats so that I can stop kissing his ass all the time! [​IMG]

One thing I have to say about the officiating and I agree with Clutch and others who were unhappy with the calls last night.

As ROCKETRICH can attest, the crowd was not loud yesterday. And you know what? The refs let alot of hacking go on. I don't know if this is the norm, but you hear ALOT of slapping and hitting on the forearms. Mobley does complain alot, but he has to realize the flow of the game. The refs were not calling those ticky tacks last night. Mo Taylor when up for a shot and was stripped, I believe, and I could tell you that it hurt me to hear that "POP" he received on his arm.

I just think that the Rockets didn't do enough to get the ball to the whole. You have to give the Knicks alot of credit. They play HELLACIOUS defense. They move to the spot on the floor where the guy is going to like no other team with the possible exception of the Heat. They can flat out shut a team down.

And the Rockets won the game which impresses me even more because early in the 3rd, I was getting ready to leave. I was not going to get humiliated!!

------------------

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I knew Almu hadn't fallen from the face of the earth!! [​IMG] Great post!

------------------
    WooHoo! The season's here!....I'm still gonna need that keg of Pepto-Bismol.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

mmanal flexing some attitude. Showing no smilies....get'em mmanal. Take some liberties!

13. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

You know what sucks the most about this game?

I have been BEGGING, PLEADING, KISSING MAJOR BUTT for 5 years so that my company can let me use the seats they reserve for those freakin, sorry excuse for basketball fan executives. When I heard about 6 weeks ago that I might get them, I was so excited that I almost slapped the CEO on his balled head.

Why was I so excited? Because I thought I would get to see Dream possibly play his last game live. And he didn't even play.

I haven't seen Dream on the court since 1988, right before I left Houston.

Sucks, right?

And Cat, Mo doesn't suck as MUCH as I thought he would. But for a man his size, he could definitely get 8 boards per game, don't you tink? [​IMG]

I will lay off on Collier. I might be too hard on him. I hope I am wrong on my evaluation. God knows we can use as many abled, big bodies as possible.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited January 13, 2001).]

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Mo doesn't suck at all, IMO. Many thought he sucked earlier this season, but I still believed he would produce for the team...and now he is. I think at first he was just adjusting to playing on a real NBA team. [​IMG] I think by season's end he'll be grabbing 8 boards per game.

------------------
    "Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."
    - Vince Lombardi

15. COACH SAMPSON

COACH SAMPSON Member

Clutch that was the best i have ever heard from you that the Knicks Rockets gam was the worst called game along with the 97 jazz series, Thats the truth.

Almu, Did you actually watch the game or were you

------------------