1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Announcers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarsdale, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Scarsdale

Scarsdale Member

For those of you who have satelite. How would you compare Bill and Calvin to the rest of the leagues announcers?

------------------

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I'm the kind of person that likes comedy and good entertainment so I LOVE Calvin and Bill! Chick Hearns is a bitter old man who talks over and blows off his color man, fitting for Lakers fans. Sacramento Kings broadcasters are shills and arrogant now that the Kings are winning. Most of the broadcasters around the league tend to be dry and humorless.

------------------
    "I have a scale at home and it only goes up so far, I love that scale!"
    - Charles Barkley
    TNT Studios

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited January 09, 2001).]

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The more Clipper games I watch, the more I like Bill Walton. He is just hilarious. They have a chemistry that is very entertaining.

Walt Frazier on Knicks games, is very good.

Bill & Calvin are in the top 5

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Bill and Calvin are the best! I havent heard anyone else.

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    JAZZ SUCK!!!!!!!

5. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Have to admit, Bill Walton used to be my least favorite announcer and he is quickly becoming my favorite. My 2nd favorite team to watch is the Clipps. He is hilarious because he makes fun of everybody on the court . "Where would the clippers be without Sean Rooks?"

------------------

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I feel that Bill and Calvin are the worst I have to listen to. If Calvin would quit laughing at everything and acting like he knows it all, they'd be better.

It's easy to tune out guys like Chick Hearn becuase they don't start cackling like Calvin.

I agree on Walton. He is annoying on National telecast, but is quite enjoyable on the Clippers games. If the Clippers ever get good, Walton may become annoying again.

------------------

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Bill and Calvin are great. They even make blowouts fun to watch. Calvin especially makes the broadcasts non-stop fun, and he knows what he's talking about. Bill Walton is great. I have always enjoyed his broadcasts, even if I don't always agree with them.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

8. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Calvin and Bill are Classic! However Walt Frazier is funny too. I love when he says.."Scooping and Dooping from the baseline!" Also, classic is when he uses big vocabulary words just to use them. See ya at the ROCKETS KNICKS GAME!! I'll be at the GAHDEN ROOTING for the ROCKETS!!!

------------------

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Bill and Calvin are awesome -- entertainment, good insight by Calvin . . . very good. MUCH better than the Spurs announcers. If you've ever heard a Spurs game, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about (ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ).

------------------
    "Any answer that can't be questioned is no answer at all. It's gibberish. It's the jabbering of startled monkeys flinging dung at the moon" -- Scott Christensen -- www.ewav.com

10. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

as a non rockets fan i think calvin is the 2nd most annoying annoucer after walton, who i despise!!!!

------------------
    the nuggets suck...i know, i know!

11. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Having a sattelight for over 5 years now I can honestly say that Bill and Calvin are the best. I used to hate them when I lived in Houston(I would turn down the volume on the TV and listen to Gene, even with the 1.5 second Tv delay) anyhow since I moved to the Bay Area I am convinced Bill and Calvin are the best with the Clippers a close second. Nothing beats Waltons comments on the Spurs and Clipps last year. In the first two minutes of the game the spurs jumped out to a 12 point lead when Walton busts out "Well the Spurs have just built an Insurmountable lead" The other guy answers back Bill its just the first two minutes of the game, and Bill answers back "with Mario Ellie and Avery Johnson being the two greatest players to ever play there positions there is no chance that the Clippers can come back"
    Anyhow the Warriors play by play guys are dry but very classy and the anti-Bill and Calvin if thats your thing. Minnesota has a decent announcer and thats pretty much it. If you think Bill and Calvin are bad wait till you listen to the rest of the league. The absolute worst is Chick Hearns, I go to LA a lot and have a lot of freinds down there and we all agree he is the worst. The Utah Jazz announcers are some of the most dry play by play guys but are quite funny in the sense that they never complain about a bad call, since they have seen some of the greatest bad calls first hand.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

12. tron70

tron70 Member

Being a Rockets fan but living in Chicago, I am forced to watch the NBA (and my Rockets) via satellite. I have watched every team at least once and I would have to say that Calvin and Bill are great. They root for the Rocks but do give credit to the opposition when they do good things. They also will criticize the Rockets when they aren't doing well. Chicago announcers are strictly homers and think they can do no wrong.
    Chick Hearns is the equivalent of Harry Carey. He constantly screws up peoples names and seems adrift. He's hilarious to listen to.
    The worst announcer is that jackass homer for the Jazz, Hundley. Steve Snapper Jones rules. Screw Walton err, I mean Bullwinkle.

------------------