1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Is Morey thinking?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dubious, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

let's not go back to woulda and shoulda's in this thread please. Focus on where we are and what we want to happen, what can happen and how

thanks

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree. Possibly a combination of 1 and 2 which will all come out later for sure. Personally I think Fegan stuck it to the rockets and for me its hard to believe the rockets would put him out there without a wink wink deal before hand. Cuban then comes in right over the top with a poison pill contract and an offer Parsons would be out his mind to refuse. Im sure Les Alexander is completely pissed right now. Now the rockets fortunes are twisting in the wind at the moment with Bron Brons big decision. The rockets have put themselves in a tough spot for sure, but I guess its par for the course when your swinging for the fences.

3. jsuspect

jsuspect Member

If we match Parsons, then he gets an automatic no trade clause that lasts for a year. So...he'd need to consent to being moved to a MIN team w/o Kevin Love. I doubt that would happen.

p.s. I've now exhausted my allowance of one post/year. Carry on.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

3 scenarios

Match and have Parsons contract as a trade asset

If the 72 hours past without a decision... Wait and gamble on Bosh because that return is is greater than Parsons if it happens.

If the Rockets strike out on Bosh they maintain cap space or salary flexibilty to trade for a disgruntled, or unhappy, or surplus (suns if they keep bledsoe and sign thomas) third piece.

Last scenario I would keep Lin to preserve the first round pick but DNP him all season long in hopes of a buyout. though not necessarily the rockets buying him out.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I suspect #3

Rocket River

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is his favorite food?? Does anyone know?

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Take a look at some recent pictures. There is your answer. If he can still get Twinkies I bet he has an ample supply.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...it just seems like you want all your FAs to be restricted assuming they aren't already a max type of player. Let the market set the value - don't determine it on your own through player evaluations or rumors of what you think other teams might offer.

9. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

At 15M per he's already overpaid. Then you throw in the trade kicker, I doubt he would have a big market for trade.

At this point, I would just let him go and pursue Deng if at all possible. Deng would come in cheaper and play on both ends of the floor. I'd take him over Parsons all day.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

again, les is the one paying the trade kicker. it won't impact his trade value.

teams have shown they're willing to pay $15M/yr for the haywards and parsons in this league. as morey has claimed good two way SFs are second only to Cs in getting overpaid. the available talent at the position does not meet the need/demand.

deng needs some kind of surgical fix every year and will want around 12M/yr. he'll be difficult to use as a trade asset if he is at all.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What is Morey thinking????

Contingency upon contingency upon contingency.

Its probably very hard to keep up with what could happen under A. Optimal scenario #1, B. Optimal #2, 3, 4, 99, etc.

However each contingency has to be a move in the positive at the end of the day.

My only real problem with what Morey has done here is not exercising the final year of Parsons deal. He's got to be smarter than that and he has to know that alot of teams are going to whiff on attaining star players, and more specifically he had to know that Dallas in particular had a ridiculous amount of cap space they needed to spend, and would probably whiff on Melo/Lebron so it should have been obvious that Parsons would get a max deal.

My personal belief is that Fegen somehow got the upper hand and pulled a power play to convince Morey to do this whether it be (like Clutch noted in his most recent article) making due on a deal that was struck last year to bring Dwight to Houston or thinking he had a wink/wink deal in place with Parsons/Fegan that backfired when Fegen turned into what we all know he is at the end of the day.... a snake.

Morey is very used to winning deals, and having the upper hand in negotiations. For once, the tables turned on him, and I think the Rockets front office leadership walks away from this with a new-found strength in deal making skills.

The good news for Rockets fans is there is a contingency for this situation if it backfires and that contingency has always been Morey's strength in the first place..... TRADES.

If Bosh walks back to Miami, Morey has one major decision to make.... can I upgrade the team more through trades/etc. with or without Parsons contract on the books, or does it matter either way?

My guess is if Bosh walks, the Lin trade is pulled back (to save assets), and the Asik trade possibly takes new life (also no real rush to get done). From that point on, I think the one thing that Morey really excels at well we can trust will get done.... being able to make nifty trades to upgrade the team further.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rockets cannot trade Parsons contract for one year without his consent. I doubt Parsons would want to move anywhere esp Minnesota if he signs with us, at least not the next year.

Which means Parsons is only eligible for a trade after one year and the way his contract is structured, it becomes difficult to move him.

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Hmm, didn't know that. I thought the trade kicker meant his future salary after the trade would get bumped by 15%. Thanks for the correction.

But still, 15M for Parsons is still overpaid. And his taunting with Cuban has left a bad taste in my mouth...

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think he was thinking, "if it fails, I'll be fired; but if it works, we'll be a dynasty."

15. Remii

Remii Member

When Morey himself offered a guy like Eric Gordon a max contract offer after being hurt for practically all of his rookie contract _ his rational assumption of Parsons value is not that rational at all if he believed Parsons wouldn't have received offers of $14-$15 million a year.

There are many Rockets fans who thought Parsons could get that much money and we've been saying it since before the trade deadline on this forum... And now people are acting like they're surprised he got offered that much and I bet it's several other teams would have offered him the same.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, to get back to your OP, I really don't think the question is what is morey thinking or what was morey thinking, but his thinking has probably stayed very very even throughout.

I posted weeks ago that I worried people here were going to get their hearts crushed when serious posters were wondering if we could get TWO of Love, Melo, Lebron, nevermind one. It was just completely insane. We went into this offseason with a disadvantage, period. Our flexibility (Lin, Asik) is weak and, as you say, complex. The major free agents can in general make more money elsewhere and/or have loyalties/preferences for other teams (e.g. Bosh, Melo, et alia).

I think if Morey can't get a commitment from a big gun or a trade for a big gun, he's going to hang onto Asik and Lin and ride out an awkward half season or even full season as best he can.

Fans gonna be fans (not you, OP, but just in general). There is enormous consternation b/c the expectations were so stratospheric. It's not every summer you snag a Dwight Howard.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Keeps hitting F5 on Lebronjames.com

18. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

Possibly true...Asik and LIn's expiring contracts can be valuable next year.

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Why are we assuming he won't resign with us as a free agent?

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We certainly don't have to do a Lin deal without Bosh. I think we would have to do the Asik deal as promised unless NO can't/won't clear the required cap space.

I guess there is a fall back that we play 14-15 with the same 13-14 line-up (which I would be fine with... Dmo and Jones will be better). Maybe Morey can turn Asik+ into Ryan Anderson.