1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Pistons game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets2K, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Well guys, I really like what I saw tonite. Good team D was first and formost on my mind as I watched tonite.
    One thing I saw that I don't like, Walt.
    How long has this funk of his gonna go on??
    Shandon got more than 20! While on Stack most of the nite.Sweet!!! [​IMG]
    Mo with 9 boards?? Not to shabby..I'll take that all season long!

Any other thoughts??
    Lets hear 'Em!

------------------
    President of the CC.Net Thread-Killers.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I wont post beacuse You just killed your own thread - well ok if you insist

REBOUNDS TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MO WAS IN ON IT SHANDON WAS WITH IT KENNY T , THE FRANCHISE WAS WITH IT . WE HAVE TO HAVE REBOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!

And Shandon , Mo and Steve all had 20+ points which is a major plus .

Stackhouse had 46 so what he and Dana Barros were the only Pistons in Double-Figures

------------------
    "Its a good thing they don't make posters of European players"

-Walt Williams after getting "posterized" by Zan Tabak .

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

1 good thing: I would rather one person beat us than a whole team.

1 bad thing. Shandon our best defender let Stack score 50.

But shandon scored so he is partially exempt.

Nice game, Mo, kt, steve, Shandon "the brick fence" (not tonight), and cuttino.

------------------
    "Kenny, The Basketball scientist, Whoo Hoo."
    Charley B, on TNT

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Good point moe..ignore the sig then... [​IMG]

Can you imagine what Stack would have gone off for if Shan had NOT been on him??

/Shudders at the thought

------------------
    President of the CC.Net Thread-Killers.

[This message has been edited by Rockets2K (edited January 04, 2001).]

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Stack may have scored 46, but who else was supposed to score for Detroit? Chucky Atkins and Joe Smith shot a combined 6-25 from the floor and the Rockets cleaned the glass against the Pistons. Good win all around.

------------------

6. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

There were lots of positives this evening.

1) Francis shot the ball with confindence tonight, he may not of had a high percentage, but he never hesitated and he really looks comftorbale running the offense without Hakeem in there.

2) The Rockets players really picked up the slack for eachother on defense when it was necessary.

This team is too deep. Walt should not be in there. It's frustrating to see Rogers and Langhi sittng on the bench while Walt and Bullard rotate off it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited January 04, 2001).]

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I wouldn't cry a tear if Walt Williams was traded, he has to have value to another team because he isn't doing a thing for us on either side of the ball!

------------------
    "I have a scale at home and it only goes up so far, I love that scale!
    - Charles Barkley
    TNT Studios

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Good team D??

No offense, but what game were you watching?

The Pistons shot 44% and Stackhouse scored 46 points with almost 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter. From that point on they just traded baskets until the final buzzer. Only Atkins and Smith shot badly tonight.

Anyway, I'm glad that we won, but I would hardly say that we played good defense.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris Fan Club - est. 99-00

9. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

RocketsPimp,

Theres was good support defense, in spurts, when it counted, particularly at the end of the game. Detroit is one of the top offenses in the league.

Also, am I the only one who notices how much more crisp and clean and defined our offense looks of late, minus Hakeem.

Coincedence? I think not.

------------------

10. SwisherShot

SwisherShot Member

Overall, I think the Rockets played some good D. It may have even been a strategy on the part of Rudy. Like the murph said, I'd rather take a win over one player on the opposing end go for +40.

------------------

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I like the way the Rockets are defending the pick and roll. They are no longer giving up easy jump shots to opposing guards who go around the pick. Hakeem being absent is a minus, not a plus.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

12. RocketFuel

RocketFuel Member

The major plus I saw in this game was Shandon actually playing with some heart. This is something he has lacked all season. If he can do this everynight I believe we will see many more W's in the future.
    Fuel

------------------
    "WHO-HOO..BEER!!BEER!!BEER!!BED!!BED!!BED!!"..Homer Simpson

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

any thoughts?

yeah...we are masturbating without all our friends. Where is thecabbage??

14. treeman

treeman Member

This is just an echo by now, but...

Shandon. Double-double. Does anyone else see how important this is?

We expect double-doubles from Steve on an almost nightly basis (if only we could watch him play every night!), and we've come to expect 20+ pts from Cuttino. But when Shandon shows up as he did tonight, we are reminded of that unstoppable backcourt we were so high on last season.

It might take 3 men to stop (neutralize) a Stackhouse some nights, and it's nice to have 3 men who can do it when necessary.

That only works when Shandon is there. Good Things...

------------------

15. heypartner

treeman...are you a revisionist?

I love Shandon, but when Walt scores, we win also.

What is your point? Is it: when Shandon scores? or is it when Shandon or Walt scores, we win?

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 05, 2001).]

16. SwisherShot

SwisherShot Member

Let's just say it was Walt who scored 21 tonight instead of Shandon. It would be that same Walt trying to play D on Stack or whoever else was he would try and stop. The good thing of having Anderson play well on Offense is with the advantage he also brings to the defensive side. So I would much rather take Francis, Cat, and Shandon, rather than Francis, Cat, and Wizard.

------------------

17. treeman

treeman Member

HP: True, when Walt is hitting his shot, we win. He hasn't been hitting lately (Shandon starting in his place at SF), so...?

If you're asking me what I think the difference is, it's this: Shandon is a better defender (than Walt - hands down), and Shandon is a better scorer when the fast break is working... And as that works better when the defense is working, he (SA) should score more.

Put is this way: I expect Shandon to produce more than Walt. I also expect his production to be more valuable - not just trading shots, creating them. He might average 3 steals per game if he were used properly (I know, an absurdly high number, but there it is)

------------------

18. heypartner

Ahhhh...I see,

...the role players argument. That's right...they are offensive role players, and there is absolutely no correlation to Shandon scoring and us winning any more than Walt scoring and us winning.

In fact, as I've pointed out before: We are 0-0 when shandon, dream or walt leads us in scoring. It is only about them hitting their easy open jumpers like they should.

Now,,,if Francis can just lead a fastbreak that you talk about, we'd be set!!

19. treeman

treeman Member

Uh... 0-0? Typo...

But to answer your concerns: No, I don't think Shandon will make or break this team. He IS a role player - as would be any guard on this team short of Kobe. Anyone working behind Steve and Cuttino is going to be labeled a "role-player" - he simply will not see enough PT to hope to match their numbers. Moochie has been a lucky hyperactive genius when it comes to that. Shandon has been lucky enough to keep a starting position. His recent slump (which appears to be over, I should remind you) should have relegated him to pine-scrubbing indefinitely, but instead Rudy shifts him...

------------------

20. heypartner

0-0 is not a typo...just a fun fact.

Walt, Shandon and Dream have not lead us in scoring to date. When any of the 3 help us, we win. But we can not rightfully say that any of the 3 in particular is a key to us winning.

Hell, i don't understand any argument that says one particular thing is a key. for instance, how can we rightfully say that keeping Shandon in the game for D won this game when Stackhoser scored nearly 50 points. Stack's scoring was no more a deciding factor as Shandon's. As I saw it, Shandon better hit those open jumbers that was given him, or we lose...The game is different per opponent! Stat manipulation is for fantasy ball.