1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ebola outbreak ravaging West Africa: ''totally out of control"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jun 22, 2014.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Amazing book

2. lpbman

lpbman Member

Greenland and Madagascar will be immune/isolated to any of Ebola's shenanigans, however.

3. HPD

HPD Member

Dayum u...when is walking d3ad comming back...i need fix

4. coolbluemoon

coolbluemoon Member

Great book, fascinating read. Scared the hell out of me though!

5. Moleb

Moleb Member

If this was happening in USA you guys would be taking it a lot seriously.

I hope things go well for those guys.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Probably the HERPs. Derek Jeter will have infected all of us beeshes. :(

LOL @ advertisements here on 'h e p C . c o m' :grin:

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

We have seaweed to worry about here.

8. Buck Turgidson

"you guys"..."those guys"...

What "guys" are you?

Hispanic?

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I forgot about this Ebola outbreak -- it's still raging in Africa.
    _____

Top Ebola doctor in Sierra Leone contracts virus

A physician at the helm of Sierra Leone's efforts to contain and control the Ebola epidemic has just been diagnosed with the virus, according to reports from Reuters and the BBC.

Sheik Umar Khan, a virologist, has treated more than 100 patients with the deadly disease and was admitted earlier this week to a high containment treatment facility, according to a statement released on Tuesday by the government. A source inside the ward told Reuters that the doctor is receiving treatment, though no details were given on his current state of health.

In June, Khan told Reuters that he had installed a mirror in his office at the clinic in Kenema so he could check to be sure there weren't any holes in the back of his protective gear before he entered the treatment facility to care for patients. "I am afraid for my life, I must say, because I cherish my life," he told the reporter from Reuters. "Health workers are prone to the disease because we are the first port of call for somebody who is sickened by disease. Even with the full protective clothing you put on, you are at risk."

As of July 12, there have been 964 incidences of Ebola and 603 deaths due virus in this area of West Africa since the outbreak first emerged in February, according to the World Health Organization. The virus has maintained a stronghold on the region because of the insufficient borders that separate the three countries.

Experts say this current outbreak is the largest in the history. In April, Michel Van Herp, an epidemiologist for the aid group, Doctors Without Borders, predicted the Ebola outbreak would develop into an epidemic on an unprecedented scale.

full article

10. KingCheetah

I'd be scared to death if I was on that plane.
    _____

Nigeria Fears Man Carried Ebola on Jet

Nigerian authorities say they are working to confirm what they fear is the country’s first case of Ebola, in a man who died after flying from Liberia. If it turns out to be true, it would be the first time Ebola has been carried on a jet and would make for a worrying turn in the worst Ebola outbreak yet seen. More than 1,000 people have been infected and more than 600 of them have died in the outbreak in West Africa.

Nigerian Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said Patrick Sawyer, a Liberian citizen, collapsed on Sunday after flying into Lagos. He died after being put into isolation. Officials said Sawyer’s sister had died of Ebola in recent weeks. "His blood sample was taken to the advance laboratory at the Lagos university teaching hospital, which confirmed the diagnosis of the Ebola virus disease in the patient," Chukwu told a news conference on Friday. It’s tricky testing for Ebola and the World Health Organization, which tallies Ebola cases, said it was waiting for the results of a second, confirmatory test.

link

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Me too, but they still believe it is primarily blood born, right? You have to be treating a really sick patient or relative, or cleaning up after them, etc. Or that's what I thought. maybe this current strain is more volatile.

Prayers for those affected.

12. droopy421

droopy421 Member

The doctor has died.

Liberia has closed its ground borders and the disease has hit into Nigeria now.

13. KingCheetah

'...contracting the virus spread through bodily fluids such as saliva, sweat, blood and urine...'

From the article below.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

From what I understand from reading the various reports in the media (which means that you shouldn't take it to the bank) is that the doctors/aid workers who've been affected are thought to have gotten Ebola from a co-worker who was infected, but didn't yet have obvious symptoms, and it occured in the dressing room where they were putting on their gear, preparing to go into that Hell to treat those obviously infected. So damn, working there is dangerous. Those willing to do so are far, far braver than I could ever be. Give me a gun and have someone threaten my family, and I could probably do damned near anything to protect them. That I can understand. That I can relate to. Willingly being in the living Hell of those medical facilities filled with people of all ages, incredibly, violently sick, and if lucky, being able to save a small fraction of them? What amazing people.

2 people like this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If Liberia and Sierra Leone's governments had reacted to this the way the Nigerian government is, this outbreak wouldn't be happening. What a terrifying situation to be in.

16. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

This.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's pretty tough in the rural areas, though, where superstition rules and the people don't trust medical officials or anyone from the government.

Updated article from the LA Times has some good information. Seems to me that medical personnel are contracting it faster than in previous Ebola outbreaks, but what do I know. So scary.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80927154/

18. Moleb

Moleb Member

Well its spreading, and it was 1 flight away from coming to the USA. And reports are saying it might spread you Europe.

If it comes here I bet all you people who were making jokes earlier, wont be doing it any longer.

19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

At this point is it nearly guaranteed to happen? I can't imagine successfully stopping it from getting to Europe/North America now.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Guess I need to make an ammo run this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up!