1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Darren Collison opting out to be UFA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Philip_Pines, May 29, 2014.

1. Philip_Pines

Philip_Pines Member

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's not a true PG.

3. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Is there going to be a thread like this created for every player that becomes available? Seems like it's becoming the standard around here.

On that note.....no, I'll pass. We need a real distributing PG, not an undersized SG.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He is a combo guard just like Lin albeit a better one on a friendler contract

5. rocketseagles07

He's a really good player to have coming off of your bench and he played surprisingly well when CP3 was out. But he's not starter material, if we're getting him as a backup I'm all for it

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good for him... but NO. The Rockets have no use for him unless he's coming at the vet min as a backup.

IMO Collison is still trying to sell himself on the half season he had when he stepped up after Chris Paul went down with an injury. He's done absolutely nothing in the league worth mentioning since then, and had ample opportunity at growing into a NBA starter.

Pass... Good luck at getting anything above a min contract Darren.

(Watch the Spurs get him, and turn him into a stud)

7. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Is he a 3 & D player? That should be the question for any potential player acquisition save the coveted "3rd star" Morey wants.

On Collison (and the PG position in general) the Rockets don't need/want a traditional PG who controls the ball so a "combo guard" is just fine as long as he meets the "3 & D" criteria. Harden will be the one with the ball in his hands once it gets over half court majority of the time anyway otherwise you are wasting Harden's main strength (offensive efficiency).

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A PG's performance is a lot about fit.

Collison was a good rookie in New Orleans, but then faded into obscurity. Never really worked in IND and Carlisle didn't find him to be useful in Dallas. Was pretty ordinary in LAC, too, and then Chris Paul got hurt and he shined.

Similar story with DJ Augustin. Neither Toronto nor Indiana found use for him, and then was important in getting CHI into the playoffs.

Rather than spending resources on Collison himself, as oppose to using that money to address the need for a defensive wing or something else, I'd rather Morey try to find the next Darren Collison.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

I'd rather have brooks back. He'd be perfect coming off the bench. The team was awful when harden or Howard were on the bench. It shouldn't be hard to get him to sign here.

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

I went to U CA so I am admittedly biased but I think he would be a contributor on any team. If Bev is "starter material", then Collison definitely is. Depends on the contract I guess.

And he did play pg in college. He's only a "combo" guard in the NBA because he's had to play with CP3 a lot.

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, what this team needs is another guard who can't play defense.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

IMO there is no team in the NBA in less need of a passing PG than the Rockets. Harden runs the team, and the next option is Dwight inside. Why do we need someone else to dominate the ball?

What we need is a guy who can play D, hit the 3 and not turn it over. Otherwise we waste money on incompatible players like J Lin.

14. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

FIFY.

But I agree, the only thing he's remembered for is his stint in NO when Paul was there, and filling in, albeit quite admirably. I think he was a double-double machine.

It's a shame he wasn't able to quite replicate his success. Collison is a slightly worse version of Eric Bledsoe.

16. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

No, what always comes to mind about him is how he couldnt guard Jeremy Lin when he played for Dallas.

17. bmd

bmd Member

Even if there was... it wouldn't hurt because there are hardly any new threads being created.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

P. Bev is perfect then. The problem I see though, we need a good PG to offset lack of Xs&Os from the coaching, otherwise it is the same tune, ISO Harden, ISO Howard, which didn't work.

19. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I don't think he brings that much to the table. His signing wouldn't move the needle much either way.

20. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

We could use an Andre Miller type of backup to run the second unit. When our bench comes in and its just caspi, d-mo, garcia jacking up threes it can be a painful thing to watch.