1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

kevin mchale's coaching (game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by filamswag, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Am I the only one who feels like the Blazers are the luckiest team ever? The shots they have been hitting this series are unbelievable

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Rockets bench has been shooting poorly. Daniels is shooting well. I don't see the problem. Troy Daniels can make a name for himself.

3. filamswag

filamswag Rookie

good job mchale for putting daniels in the crunch time

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

What a shot.

5. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Gotta say that took some balls. You gotta make those risky decisions to get the advantage sometimes, and he didn't take the safe way out here.

Give McHale a bunch of credit for this win.

6. swattx

swattx Member

I don't know if this was a coaching decision but I hated the fact that they went away from the pick and roll in crunch time and decided to go to Dwight in the post.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO can't people here are bashing Mchale for trusting Daniels who actually hit the go-ahead 3 pointers.

IMHO Mchale has been spot on for the player rotations tonight specifically for:

1) Not subbing out Lin after he made the almost game breaking missed layup+open 3 by Batum. I was ready to strangle Lin after that play however he has actually been playing the entire game, and was responsible for a ton of good plays+ a go ahead pass that sealed the deal.

2) Finally listening to common sense and putting DH on LMA instead of Asik on LMA. Asik is too slow to deal with LMA, LMA gets the space he needs to unleash that godly floating step back J from his that is actually a horrible shot but he seems to make almost every time. DH can match him step by step so his release isn't as refined and his shot gets rushed.

3) Aforementioned Daniels sub in over the brickmasters on the bench. Even if they are vets we need somebody who can knock open 3s. THat's Daniels.

Great job Mchale for ekking out the win.

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

PnR was working.

Then all of a sudden bunch of ISOs

9. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

McHale almost cost us this came. We won in spite of his bad coaching...that last play where Daniels drains that three...we were lucky because it was originally an iso for Harden who was running on fumes. We got lucky Jeremy made a great defensive play and more lucky that the rook hit the three.

McHale should get ZERO credit for this win.

10. Karolik

Karolik Member

Starting Asik turned out to be a good decision...but as usual the execution late game..

ISO ISO ISO ISO ISO ISO ISO ISO

really McHale?

we're lucky to win this game...

11. Asian Sensation

No other coach in his right mind would've even considered Daniels. He deserves all the credit in the world for this win.

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If Parsons doesn't foul out Mchale never puts in Troy Daniels... F Mchale I am still not impressed.

13. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm quite anti-McHale at this point, but I haven't got much of a problem with this game (would have said that in a loss as well). There was some good and some bad choices. That ridiculous lineup to start the second was the worst. Daniels over Garcia worked for me. It was also clear that some slightly altered schemes for LMA postups had been discussed - still a lot of single coverage but there were guys hedging into the lane allowing Asik to play almost exclusively for the jumper and not worry about being driven on, which helped.

It wasn't a brilliant coaching job, but it looked like the work of a mediocre to average NBA coach instead of a homeless guy they brought in off the street.

14. foofo

foofo Member

I was a bit worried. Luckily, Williams was fouled out, so that Daniels wasn't beaten on defense end. He did a good job on team defense and rotation though. Better than anyone on the bench, and can shoot and spread the floor.

15. Stats

Stats Member

By the way, is it me or does our PnR suck relative to Portland's? Our guys don't seem to know that you shouldn't leave space between you and the screener (or that the screener should try to set less noticeable screens) for the defender to go through while portland's been running Harden, Lin and Bev through walls.

16. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

Finally some solid pick and roll action. Then we stopped.

17. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

What?

18. Hmm

Hmm Member

You're absolutely right, if the coach instructs you that the key strategy to success is to "get open shots" and you miss them.... that's all on the player... I mean, what more can a coach do....

19. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Late game execution should be on the coach with a young team like this. McHale should be giving directions.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its not all his fault, but no his coaching still isnt all that great. why no h&h pick and roll till game 3?