1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

And.... Portland fans are already making excuses for their 2014 first round exit against us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Apr 13, 2014.

1. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

In a democratic structure like a forum, all kinds of people are going to post all kinds of things.

I'm pretty sure Terry Stotts isn't going to focus on flopping, but rather how to contain your inside-out game. When that's going, it's impossible to defend.

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'll admit, I might be in the minority of Rockets fans....but I actually respect the Blazers and their fans.

Sure, you could talk about the connection to Drexler.

But for me, personally, they gained my respect during the 2009 playoffs. The second game of the series was being played in Portland, and on TV it looked like the stadium was packed and loud! And I still remember a play where Dikembe Mutombo went up for...a rebound? a block?...I don't remember exactly, but came down and collapsed and immediately grasped his knee. I remember the cameras zoomed in on his face and he looked like he was in agonizing pain, rolling around on the court gripping that knee.

I loved Mutombo. I loved how hard he played for us even in spite of all of Yao's injuries. I have loved reading about all the Humanitarian work he has done.

The playoffs are intense and extremely competitive, and the fact that the Blazers fans gave a standing, loud ovation for Mutombo as he slowly, painfully was assisted off the court has stuck with me since.

Looking forward to another intense series this year!

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Brandon Roy was a miniature Kobe. I firmly believe that him and Oden would have won a ring.

Rep for a good post.

4. scottie brooks

Great post and insight. BTW, I meant no disrespect in my post. That was a good-hearted gesture Portland gave Drexler to be reunited with his college teammate and one more chance to win it all. Houston may not have won that championship with out Portland Letting Clyde go. I do feel the Blazers and Rockets have gone through eerily similar circumstances that I would never wish on any team. Roy/Oden and Yao/McGrady. Amazing players who's careers were cut short and never were able to live up to their potential. Pay no attention to people speaking hate. They are the minority. Like I said tho, for some unknown cosmic reason, Portland and Houston will forever be connected.

5. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I have yet to receive rep for creating this beautiful thread that has connected Portland and Houston fans and has brought tears to many peoples eyes on opposite sides of the country, kind of.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Begging for rep is always a good way to not get rep.

7. haydenfisher342

Rep is overrated, especially on this board. I seen more sane and legitimate posts from neutral users then I have the majority of high rep'd people.

8. haydenfisher342

reminding someone to comment / rate / subscribe is common, maybe not among this board, but with many other sites it is. A friendly reminder shouldn't warrant a reason to not give provide it.

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

The only thing I have against Portland is that the NBA used footage of Brandon Roy's buzzer beating game winner over Artest and McGrady in 2009 in every tv ad for almost 5 years.

10. Raven

Raven Member

No beef with Blazers, none. Our hated enemies are Dallas and Utah.

11. Raven

Raven Member

No flames, good luck in the series, let's hope for some good injury free games.

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I'm a Cougar, so I actually hate Longhorns.
    Jazz, Lakers, Mavericks are my NBA sports-hate. I think most Rox fans are about the same.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Flopping in general is a pointless attack because the refs are very fair when it comes to rewarding flopping. The only difference is whether a player can take advantage of how the game is called. Specifically, two factors most important to whether the refs blow the whistle(fairly or not) are position on the court, and who the defender is.

The Rockets take half their shots in the paint. The refs call more in the paint. When players get tangled together and stuff happens in the paint, refs are more likely to call a foul, and more likely to call a defensive foul, fair or not.

The other factor is who the defender is. And yes, Dwight Howard can get away with more than Robin Lopez because one is Dwight Howard and the other is Robin Lopez.

Take your game against the Warriors. I actually watched the 4th quarter and OT of that game because I wanted the Rockets to rest our guys. When Bogut went out of the game, every time you guys got into the paint, the refs called something on the Warriors. Some of them quite flimsy IMO. When Curry was getting to the basket? Nothing. Perhaps there were fouls against you and no fouls against the Warriors, I couldn't really tell because of the lack of replays. But you get the idea. It works for every team. The difference is that the Rockets offense is predicated on getting to the paint, as well as a roster capable of doing that. It's the volume is what drives the foul shots. Not some hidden agenda by the refs. I mean, it's HOUSTON. Not NY or LA.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

begging for rep is pathetic bro

15. ROXCHAMPSIN2k8

There is no way he got that shot off in time. That still makes me mad to this day,and I hated seeing that commercial all the time. I think there was.8 left on the clock and Roy caught the ball, spun around, and shot it. Replay looked like it was still in hands, but somehow the refs gave it to him and we lost...

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't hate Portland. I don't think when anyone had anything against your fanbase when we played in 2009 in the playoffs

The concensus is back then was how impressive Brandon Roy was and Portland had a bright future.

But the injury bug hit both teams hard, I'm pretty glad we've clawed out way back and meeting in the playoffs once again 5 years later.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

really bro? I mean...really?

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

My wife, who has been a Rockets fan since the Olajuwon days, always thought Brandon Roy was a good as Kobe. We have had our share of injuries, but the Blazers, God have mercy on them....

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You sound like a level headed fan, you'd be surprised at how liked your team is by us rockets fans...we feel like we can find some common ground especially in the injury dept.

That being said, are you really going to cry about flopping in 09'?

That rockets team , outside of Scola, didn't have any floppers. You guys on the other hand had Rudy Fernandez, Batum and Pryzbilla flying all over the place. Yao could barely move before he was charged for an offensive foul. So, You can understand why you calling us out back then, is ironic to say the least.

20. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

no, bro, bro, not really, bro bro, it was a joke. Bro.

Cool story though.