1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does everyone crash into the paint on defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ag3ntgandhi, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Everyone always tries to help in or sags off their guy on defense.

On EVERY single play, there is someone open for 3, and we have been doing somewhat well with that so far since teams haven't been capitalizing as much as they could have.

But it's a sign of the defensive failing of this team- I don't care about our defensive rankings or anything because the truth is that this team does suffer some completely terrible defensive stretches. We don't even look like a team during these teams because we have zero discipline on defense. Leaving people that wide open during the playoffs will destroy us.

2. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Could be their strategy. A lot of teams sag into the paint, then run the 3 point shooter off the line. OKC does this A LOT. They're just better at recovering back to the shooter. If you can recover, it's a pretty good way of playing D. We just need to be better at recovering and rotating.

3. chandlerbang21

better question, wassup with NO ONE taking the midrange shots. OKC swarmed the 3pt line and collapsed in the paint every time on defense . rockets took only 4 midrange shots the entire game

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I noticed that too. Harden and Lin almost always sag off all the way to just outside the paint on the weak side when their man is waiting to shoot a corner 3. They could never close fast enough with that much space to cover.

5. archinkent

archinkent Member

This. Nothing wrong with providing help defense, every team does it. But in our case, hardly anybody rotates to the open man.

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I think it's because of slow rotations also slow defenders. Harden isn't quick enough to be able to chase 3 point shooters.

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

If our perimeter players are unwilling or unable to recover, then this strategy is dead wrong, for our team anyway. How many times have we seen Harden or Lin's man hit wide open 3's again and again?

8. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

We do this so consistently that it is evident it is a strategy, rather than the players screwing up. The start of this Zach Lowe article explains it somewhat, albiet for the Raptors:

http://grantland.com/features/the-toronto-raptors-sportvu-cameras-nba-analytical-revolution/

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Guys, when a player like Derek Fisher drives to the hoop, it takes a whole team to stop him.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

might as well play zone

11. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Morey.

Think about it, points in the paint are the highest percentage shots, you know hes mentioned this to McHale and said to do something about it. Think about the way we play. If a team takes away the lane and we arent shooting well we lost.

On a side note, I thought this was why we got Dwight... With him as primary or help defender we really dont need all these other bodies being in his way.

12. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

The second best shot is a 3 pointer though. I think we are overplaying the paint, especially with a great deterrents in the middle like Howard and Asik. I would rather us have a designated help defender that sags than have the entire team scrambling.

13. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

This has to be by design from the coaching staff, because it looks like their setting up for the quick rebound to break out in transition, or to keep the other team from getting the offensive rebound. It frustrates me because i catch myself yelling at Lin and some other players DONT LEAVE YOUR GUY ON THE PERIMETER OPEN. It's like they prefer you to shoot the 3 and miss while they wait under the basket instead of contesting it. YOu can see in the game a lot, namely Lin and Parsons a lot of times get caught not even looking at their man after the 2nd or 3rd pass goes around

14. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I agree, like others have mentioned, getting out on the fast break could factor into Morey's math somehow.

15. dje243

dje243 Member

It's true. This is the real reason why we get killed by OKC and LAC. We don't need 3 help defenders every time someone gets in the paint.