1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets bench can't hold a 10 point lead...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fansince80, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

IT WILL COME BACK TO BITE US IN THE PLAYOFFS.... Thats just how the NBA works sorry. Unless the starting 5 can put games away for us without playing 40+ mins a game come playoff time. :/

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You guys remember how important bench production was in 07' vs Utah....

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

If the present bench won't cut it, you think Morey and McHale won't activate the DLeaguers in Canaan and Daniels?

4. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

The troubling thing is how much this team needs Parsons. Considering our 2nd unit has 2 of our starters from last year, and Lin generally plays better without Harden, I think we are seeing just how valuable Parsons was last year in getting better ball movement. Maybe Morey is hoping that Hamilton can fulfil a similar role with the 2nd unit.

5. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Rotations in the playoffs shorten. At most the rotation will have 8 players in the playoffs.

6. muratcet

muratcet Member

When the playoff comes, you dont play the second unit together, mostly Harden will be playing with the second unit when Omer is playing and Howard will get a rest, so there wont be any offensive flows. Possibly we will see something like Lin-Harden-Hamilton-DMo-Omer lineup, and when Harden rest Parsons and Howard will be the offensive weapons. You dont play 12 man rotation in playoffs, you cut it down to 8-9 most of the time and thats why Casspi and Garcia seems to be the ones out of the rotation when playoffs arrive.

You like him or hate him, Lin seems to be the x factor in playoffs, because he is the one that you can never know what you get on nightly basis.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This... you can have all the talent in the world but if you refuse or stubborn to take care of yourself you are worth nothing to a basketball team. They need to buy him out instead of paying his full contract. Then sign some decent free agents that have yet to find a home.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What if Canaan and Daniels don't cut it? You think Morey and McHale won't use Covington or sign other DLeague super stars?

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You do realize that even after a buyout he would still count $8.3M against the cap don't you? If NY could have bought out Amare they would have years ago. So please tell us what the Rockets would gain by buying out Lin, except for a huge hole at in the guard rotation?

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Are you guys sure you are really watching the games? Or did I miss the losing streak?
    The second team O was pretty flat in the third but Orlando was really playing well, they hustled on D and had some big guys that were really eager to make a mark. Even though the gave up the lead, Orlando expended a lot of energy and were spent when the starter came back in. And they put the game away.

I think Lin is pretty banged up and Hamilton did nothing last night to replace Parsons but he was hot last week. Don't worry little campers, we are looking good. Enjoy it.

1 person likes this.
  11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think the trolls have to just find something to b**** about, even when the Rockets have won 13 of their last 15 games. They must think that they are smarter than Morey and McHale put together.

12. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Both of them were working decently

Anyway it does matter who else is in their team, it does matter who else is the other bench players, and it does matter the role they play now differ from last season

13. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Lin is becoming a major liability to this team, and I am sick of hearing the excuses. The only player in this 2nd unit that I am comfortable with going into the playoffs is Asik. His D has gotten back to the form it was last year.

1. D-Mo has gotten better with each game, but he hasnt figured out how to relax and slow the game down. Possible replacement: No one atm imo....could be covington in the near future as stretch 4 (next year)

2.Hamilton has looked good in spurts, i feel with more chemistry, and when mchale figures out harden should be on the court with him to help with his pros hell be better. Possible replacement :None

3.Jeremy Lin: Leader of the 2nd unit has played his worst basketball in his career in the midst of our great run of play..His handling is lacking, his confidence is gone, his shot if off. What i saw from 1 P&R play with cannan last night i havent seen lin do all year.. his replacement is on the bench and ready, lets hope Coach doesent tke too long to see it....cannan need PT before the playoffs

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hamilton is playing great. His shot didn't fall last night, but made 2 incredible defensive plays in transition. He's not a complete liability unlike many of his teammates when he shoots poorly. Very good pickup.

Lin, damn. His confidence is shaken. McHale needs to run some back cuts where Lin gets layups. No dibbling, no jumpers... just catch the ball. Maybe get fouled, shoot FTs. Easy baskets. Bench scoring will be difficult until he figures it out. I think he'll play better.

Asik is playing like he always has. Clumsy, with good defense and rebounding. Agreed about Blake and LMA. Guarding those guys without doubling is huge.

Hopefully the bench plays better. Don't want our starters playing those minutes until playoffs.

15. archinkent

archinkent Member

I mean Parsons scored most of the bulk during that comeback.

Just means the bench on its own is just not good enough, its needs to include at least one starter.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

After the next 5 games the schedule gets really soft. I could see the Rockets winning 14 of their last 16 games easily. It looks like the starters will be well rested come playoffs. And the bench players will get more meaningful minutes down that stretch.

#76 jtr, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  17. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Trolls? Lol. If trolling is pointing out obvious flaws that'll come back to bite us in the playoffs, then a troll I wil be:)

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Asik was very solid last night. I like the thought of having two seven-footers (Asik/D-mo) going up against opponents' 2nd units. That said, I'm absolutely disgusted with Lin right now. Injured or not, he HAS to start looking for his shots and taking them. Thats the only way he'll break out of this slump. He has a knack for making tough layups, so attempt them. Stop trying to kick the ball out and instead look to score.

As soon as he starts back looking to score those passing lanes will part like the Red Sea. Force the defense to help and take the shot, Asik and D-mo will be there to clean the boards; Hamilton and whomever will be wide open behind the arc.

I disagree with all the people saying that if Lin is injured he needs to sit. He's obviously not too injured to play, so play through it. That's what he's getting paid to do. All my issues with Lin would dissolve into thin air if his mistakes and turnovers happened while he was attacking and looking to score or draw fouls.

I'm glad to see the team is winning despite Lin's play. But we're lying to ourselves if we say that this team, as currently constructed, doesn't need a productive Lin to sustain a high level a play. The table is set for him to redeem himself, and all he has to do is sit down and eat. And soon enough, this team will need him to do just that.

19. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

This the bench stopped the bleeding in first half.

Aski plays defense scoring is just a bonus when he does. IF HE GETS 10 POINTS THAT IS A BONUS.

20. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Good luck winning 14 of 16 and playing the starters less minutes. Those are mutually exclusive as long as the bench sucks. Lakers, Kings, Bucks could beat the bench.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.