1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Love Bill Worrell, but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 25, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What was the last user name you got banned with?

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

None of them..? :confused:

3. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

As in it's my first username.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

It would be much more informative if you know, he named which pick it was in which round.

5. tomato

tomato Member

I keep saying this! It may be my sole complaint for Bill.

6. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Funny cause I think this is Tinman's trolling account. Least the posting style and pattern matches.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

First, as Aroundtheworld correctly points out, if that were the case then when a team does not have a first round pick and takes a player in the second round, Bill would also refer to them as a number one draft choice. He does not.

But more importantly, most second round picks do NOT stick in the nba. So by not mentioning where a player was drafted at all and simply pointing out they were a first round pick, he is being extremely lazy. It's pointless. He may as well point out they are an athlete.

8. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

lol you got called out and clowned by aroundtheworld bruh. accept it and stop playing the tough guy

9. SeabrookMiglla

i like how bill sometimes ignores dumb comments by drexler and goes back to talking about the score lol

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Always funny when Bill says "(insert Rocket) was hammered". Funnier when there's little-to-no contract.

11. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Agree completely, it is infuriating. To me it's just a way of getting around looking up what pick someone was in the first round.

Even worse than this, though, is his tendency to say, "The Rockets can go for the final shot here" when there is like a 7 second differential between the shot clock and the game clock and plenty of time for the other team to get off a shot. This happens every single game. It kills me.

Despite these things, I must say I love Bill's calls.

12. cml750

cml750 Member

After watching so many other teams announcers through crappy streams since I have no other legal way to watch the team, I can live with Bill making little mistakes like that. While Clyde can be utterly unbearable sometimes, Matt B and Bill W. are awesome compared to other teams announcers.

#32 cml750, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is that how 1st round picks were referred to in the distant past? Maybe he's just using terminology from a different era, which he has a tendency to do (e.g. "dunk shot", "one plus the penalty").

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He's using a terminology from baseball and football where there are many rounds. It is nearly pointless in basketball, where there are only two rounds and most second rounders don't stick. If a player is on a nba court it's more than likely that somebody drafted them in the first round.

What bothers me more is that he never even seems to bother pointing out that somebody is a lottery pick, top 3 pick, etc. Just always with the "Number one draft choice" as if being #1 is the same as being #30.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I see. In the NBA, there used to be more than 2 rounds, so its terminology that was applicable when he started his Rockets announcing career.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hahaha, yes, I noticed that one as well. Like you, I still like him anyway!

17. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I like Bill because of his corny puns. You have to be a die hard Rockets fan to truly understand what he is saying.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is mentioned once a year yup.

It's just bad. There is a big difference between #1 draft choice and a first round pick.

19. House of Pain

House of Pain Member

Ehhh...I'd rather complain about that "3 points the Harden way" line that he likes to use that feels more forced than a final possession at the end of a game by James Harden himself.

Still love Bill though...

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

At least my threads have substance whether you like them or not. Not my fault he got jealous Lol