1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What NBA players have you met on a personal level?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketfan21, Aug 24, 2013.

1. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Chandler Parsons at Chipotle.
    Aaron Brooks while walking in Baybrook Mall.
    Ronnie Price when he came to Clear Brook High School's Basketball Teams practice in 09.
    Carlos Boozer at St. Thomas Campus a few years back.

2. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

3 pages and still no signs of the 3 Indian dudes who stalked Yao up to his house? good times

Patience likes this.
  3. Jccdubb

Jccdubb New Member

Long ago, I think in 1993, Antoine Carr and Lloyd Daniels. Sat at the bar with them at the Yucatan Liquor Stand.

4. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

That depends on your definition of personal I guess. Everyone on my list was at minimum a 5-10 min conversation, at most lending one of them money & never seeing it back, I wont name him though. Some of the highlights:

-Horry: coolest athlete/celeb Ive ever met, sold him a radar detector for his Ferrari & hung out while it was installed, he remembered me by name over a yr later when I saw him again while I was working at a bar on Westheimer.

-Cato: whipped his @SS in back to back games of Madden while his Navigator was being worked on, quite possibly the biggest kid ive ever met in my life...wonder if he ever grew up?

-Melo: biggest D-Bag on the list(honorable mention to Franchise). Met him while working at a bar near Denver. Sent back a round of shots of Jager because they "don't smell right", refused to show ID at the door, tipped less than 10%. Lala was surprisingly cool though. I even convinced the people at the bar to not chant "We coulda had D-Wade", in retrospect, I should have let it happen.

-Curly: sat next to him at a Nugs/Rox game in Denver where they honored him, talked to him quite a bit, funny guy

-Dream: he whipped my @SS at a game of ping pong while my stepdad was installing lighting in his old house. I was young at the time, but I remember him being very humble & seemed like a legit good dude

Being a manager at a bar, you kind of have to establish a relationship to make sure they are happy...not just ballers, all guests. Its like getting paid a pretty good amount of money to host a part every night. Great job, until you have kids.

5. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Personal level I don't know Nate Robinson...but I used to play(once lol) basketball and watch him play during lunchtime at James Logan High. Nate was on track team with my buddy, and he still has the track team photo with him on it.

Nate Robinson was probably about the same height in high school and now, and DUNKING I might add. That was 1 reason alone to watch them play. At the time I didn't know if he was going to make it in the NBA because of his size, but good for Nate.

6. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

Dream
    Carl Herrera
    Mad Max
    Sam Cassell
    Robert Reid
    Jim Peterson
    Allen Leavell
    Ralph Sampson
    Mario Elie
    Earl Cureton

7. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Not going to include autograph signing sessions or random sightings because there were lots of those for me (especially during mid to late 80s).

I've met several NBA players but here's a short list of memorable Rockets encounters.

Sleepy Floyd: Met him at the Gatsby on University blvd back in '99. He was sitting at a roundtable near the bar with some of his friends. So I just went up to him and started reminiscing about the good ol' days. He was real approachable. Just remember asking them a trivia question... something along the lines of "what player holds the NBA record for most points scored in a quarter?" They all had this puzzled look on their faces... then all of a sudden Sleepy's eyes got big and he shouted (b/c music was loud), "Man, that's my record!!!!" I just busted out laughing and said, "yeah, man, you're damn right that's your record!" His boys started laughing too... Sleepy had this huge smile. Hung out at their table for awhile... then left when my guest arrived.

... but's what's funny is that he saw me again several weekends later at the Mercury Room (my sister's private bday party). Didn't even know he was standing near me when I heard him say, "hey man! they (speaking of my sisters gorgeous friends) all with you???" I nodded and shot him a quick grin and he said... "****, we gotta hang out". I just laughed and gave him my business card. He smiled, tucked it inside his suit jacket and walked away. Never saw him out again...

Moses Malone: Met him at the Gatsby too (different night). He was by himself dressed in a dark suit (no tie). He was huge. So this was a few months after a met Sleepy there. I walked up to him and said something about how much I respect him and all he's done for the Rockets. He was cold and standoff-ish and just nodded but never made eye-contact. Before I walked away I asked him about his son, Moses Jr. Most people knew things weren't going so well for him at UH. That's when he really opened up. Said everything was going to work out... they were looking at other options like Texas Tech. He thanked me for asking and that was pretty much it.

Kevin Willis: Mercury Room (around summer of 2001). Just remember how strong his handshake was... almost broke my hand. Similar experience as Malone. Real quiet at first but then opened up. We talked mostly about his side business interests... chat lasted about 10 min. Very nice, geniune guy.

Clyde Drexler: Saw Clyde quite often at Memorial Golf Course when I was still living in Houston. He was always there. On one occassion, in 2003, while playing a round with my client, we stopped at the turn to freshen up. As I'm walking out of the restroom I see Clyde ordering a soda from Beck's Prime. He just finished 18. Immediately, I sensed how comfortable Clyde was with talking to everyday folks. He laughed about how much trouble he gets into because he's always playing golf. Usually about 36 holes a day--3 times a week. (He lived only a few minutes down Memorial near Brenner's--probably still does). He chuckled when I said something about him wanting to dominate Jordan at golf. He took a deep breath and said something about Jordan being a machine when he gets determined. Not a scarier competitor anywhere. What's interesting is that he did comment on how much he would have liked to compete against Michael and Scottie during the 94-95 Rockets title run. But then thought about it and said (with a sly grin) "but it worked out just fine." We both laughed.

Hakeem: Never more nervous in meeting someone. Was at the galleria food court (sometime in 2004). In walked Dream from one of the private side doors. He was wearing designer jeans and a dark grey t-shirt (will never forget). As he walked towards me, I put down my cell phone, and said, "Mr. Olajuwon, the greatest to ever do it" as I extended my hand. He nervously giggled, overcome with embarrassment, and shook my hand while looking down. To this day, the most humble, shy superstar I've ever met. I simply told him how much I've always admired him... how proud Houstonians are to travel the world and say Dream is our champion. "Large majority of NBA fans I've met in my travels respect you greatly, sir. You bring great honor to us all." As I'm saying this, Dream is laughing nervously -- almost too embarrassed to hear the compliments -- saying, "thank you, thank you, my friend..." as he sheepishly walked away.

I've never met a more classy professional athlete. And I've met quite a few.

8. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

wow some of these stories are amazing. repped to OP for starting this thread love hearing stories like these. As for me I have signatures from alot of players but as far as actual meeting I've met the whole 96-97 team so Hakeem, Barkley, etc...won't go into detail how cuz its personal but it also corresponds to the First Iconic NBA Moment of your life thread my Rockets love began when I met the team.

signatures though:

(Rockets)

ariza
    brooks
    landry
    lowry
    morris
    delfino
    hilton armstrong
    kenny smith
    Horry
    Francis

(non Rocket)

TJ Ford
    MJ (alot)

9. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

what yr u graduate from Brook?

10. ILoveTheRockets

I have chilled with Shawn Kemp on several occasions here in Houston

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

P.J. Brown at Denny's. AAU tournament down in Florida. He was with his family but when he got done he took the time out to take pictures with all of us.

Shammond Williams ex-nba player and UNC PG - When I was in hospital he came to visit me.

Kevin Garnett - I played at his basketball tournament.

Kenny Smith at the YMCA here in South Carolina, he had a camp down here and he brought Allan Houston. I wasn't able to meet Allan Houston since everyone was surrounding him.

12. chrisgraham

chrisgraham Member

First post- been trolling for 2 years now...
    anyways I grew up playing basketball with Jimmy Butler in Tomball
    also say DEKE at the airport.

13. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

James Posey - airport, flight from houston to chicago at the time he was traded to the Pacers

Robert Horry - was with his son, flight from atlanta to Houston

Hakeem Olajawon - at a Mosque

14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I made eye contact with Marcus Morris once at the game. I guess you can say its pretty personal.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I have met a number of pro athletes. A majority of them are baseball players or professional soccer players. However still have met my fair share of pro basketball players.

First I must say an overwhelming majority of them were friendly if not overly friendly. I met Hakeem Olajuwon and spent the better part of two days with him hammering out a contract for a clothes line he was starting years back. He was fair and honest but a very tough businessman. He was a real gentleman. I mostly remember him telling me how talented Roy Tarpley was. Said he physically was so strong that when he moved in the post you felt the vibrations under the floor. Also was not a Celtics fan.

Met Steve Francis at a meeting discussing opening a restaurant franchise. Nice man, not stupid, but very antsy and could only concentrate for a short period of time. His friends were not as nice.

Met Charles Barkley when he was considering an endorsement deal with a beer company. Very funny and nice guy. Made jokes about everyone in the room and very polite and nice to the women when they entered the room.

Have seen/met a lot of basketball players with "other" women and have helped set up their interests.

16. basketballholic

Eddie Johnson- when he was a 2nd round rookie playing for the KC Kings in Kemper Arena. Used to talk to him b4 games when I was a kid.

Scott Wedman - ditto EJ.

Phil Ford - ditto EJ

Numerous other former KC King players. Went to games constantly as a small boy. Got to know most all of them by name and they knew me. Sam Lacey, Bill Robinzine, Reggie King, Reggie Theus, Ray Williams, Otis Birdsong, Tom Burleson, etc. etc.

Walter Davis - visiting Suns player in back hallway b4 game.

Alvin Adams - ditto Walter. Visiting Suns center at Kemper Arena b4 game in back hallway.

(When I was a kid we used to go to games at Kemper Arena in KC where I grew up. Most of the games only had about 5,000 people or so there, tons of empty seats. We could sneak down to the front after half time and we could sneak under the curtains and get in the back hallways to the locker rooms some times when for whatever reason there was no security guards around. I probably actually seen almost every player in the league in those days, although I didn't know most of them. I just enjoyed going back in there and looking up to see how tall they were. And a good many of them I met by being in that arena so much.)

Danny Manning - played pickup games against him on Saturdays at KU when he was there. (truly nice guy)

Michael Cooper - met him at hotel downtown night before a game (super jerk).

Jon Sundvold - former Missouri shooting guard. I think he played for Phoenix and others in the NBA. Used to ref some of my games. Super super nice man, very humble.

Larry Drew - one time Mizzou Tiger and KC King. Met him at a restaurant in KC when I was a teenager. Seen him at Kemper arena often.

Avery Johnson - met him at Woodlands Mall (another super nice person).

Mo Taylor and Kelvin Cato - together at McDonald's on 1960 (I think they were both high on mar1juana, acted totally stupid)

Moochie Norris - we had the same car insurance agent

Several prominent Rox players b4 games...Hakeem, Sleepy Floyd, Ralph, Derrick Chievous, Larry Smith, etc.

Rudy T of course, met him at IAH.

Mark Aguirre at DFW (he didn't want to be bothered)

There's more.

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Hakeem spoke to my 1st grade class. He spoke for 30 minutes and I probably understood about 2 minutes, but it was a great day.

18. DunKingDanny

DunKingDanny Contributing Member

I followed Hakeem into the restroom at the Toyota Center once. I stood at the urinal next to him and gave him the "dream shake" lol :grin: no homo :p

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dontae Jones dunked on me in a pick-up game about 13 years ago...well, I just saw him coming and just stepped out of his way. I met Jason Williams at a pick-up game when he was in NY for his trial. He was a super cool guy - he actually walked up to me and introduced himself. Hard to believe he was in so much trouble. He was still pretty good, hard to stop. But I blocked his shot! Boom!

Matt Maloney - we went to the same university. Saw him around a lot. He had a hot girlfriend.

20. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

forgot to add rafer alston to the signature list