1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Rox get Howard,would you take Pau also?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Would u take Gasol with Howard?

1. yes,they work well together

20.1%
  2. no,we should get someone else

70.7%
  3. not yet,maybe later

9.2%
  1. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

No. I feel like we can get a better PF for Lin and/or Asik.

BUT, if we don't get Howard (specially if he stays with LA because that'd make Pau easier to acquire), then I'd love to get Pau. I think he'd be the perfect stopgap PF for us and he expires after this next season so we'll be able to jump right into the 2014 Free Agency.

2. munco

munco Member

This experiment already failed. Why risk it again?

3. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

The Lakers barely made the playoff with these two plus Kobe & Nash. They got wiped by the other ancient team the Spur in the 1st round. What makes you think when they move over to Houston they will get Houston to the final game of the year if Houston has to give up perhaps two of the best 4 players for them? If Kobe at this age is at par with Harden, the only advantage Houston has over Laker 2013 is Parson over WorldPeace, probably in offence but not defence. Does that little advantage get Houston to the final game of the year if Laker 2013 was that poor a team? Gasol is on the down hill fading fast just like KG and Pierce in Boston. Not worth uprooting Houston's roster for him.

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I wouldn't pick up Pau even if he's FREE. Dude absolutely sucks at pick and roll and get constantly exploited in the Playoffs by teams. He is slow and just weak minded individual....his confident fell when he gets criticized as he continue jacking bricks. His defense is horrible and constantly getting scream at by Kobe lol. He already past his prime and is getting old....

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Haha glad this is not a possibility, it would have too much Laker stain, no thank you.

6. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Kevin Martin left after a one year rental.

Thought fans that laughed at the OKC trade would have learned the lesson now. Lin + Asik need to net more than a rental.

7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Pau + Dwight did not work back in LAL land, why do you think they will work here in Houston?
    3-5 years ago yes, now? hell no....

8. Philosophia

Philosophia Member

Pau and Howard combo wasn't as bad as it was made out to be in LA. Dantoni's system didn't really help their situation, however, I don't mind Pau Gasol paired with Howard in general but I would have two problems with his acquisition:

1. He's on the decline at this point in his career. Pairing him would seem like getting 2 years of maximum quality. I would much prefer the rockets look for a better long term fit with Howard.

2. Unless Gasol is going to be amnestied (which doesn't look likely), trading for a contract around 19 million is going to have to involve Asik (even if in a 3 way trade) and if the Rockets are going to trade Asik I would hope it would be for a better long term piece.

9. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Like who?

But for real, I wouldn't take Pau for Lin & Asik. 48 minutes of Howard and Asik over super duper small-ball. And Lin is a nice 2nd play-maker and slashing guard that is too disrespected on this board, remember everyone crying when McHale sat both Harden and Lin for long periods of time and the offense turned into Parsons bailout threes?

10. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Pau is a great talent, but his defense has become suspect as hell and he's not too great playing alongside a ball-dominant guard and Howard in the low post which is exactly what's happening here. As flexible as he is offensively, and as incredible as he still is when given the opportunity to succeed, I don't want a sulky Pau in Houston on a one year rental over two fantastic young pieces.

11. tefunk

tefunk Member

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Hell yea. It would make us more competitive this year, then he's off the books next year when younger pfs are available.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Why we getting so personal,,its just a sports forum. Dude has the right to start whatever basketball related topic he wants too.

14. thisiscaketown

No, because Gasol's best position is still Center.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

His best years were playing alongside bynum. People have this jaded memory of Gasol in general and howard. Everyone in the world was asking how can gasol-bynum work so we'll and gasol howard wasn't as effective? Coaching,plain and simple. In the triangle and under jackson,gasol and his passing was a threat in the offense. Gasol and his ability to knock down 15ft shots were a threat. Even if bynum offensive game is a little more versitile than howard,its not like he was shooting jumpers. It was a lot of pnr,roll to the rim and high low action. Looking at the way duncan is playing, I'm pretty sure pau can play 4 more years at a 16ppg 9 reb level on like 13fga. He's a good athlete who moves well and plays with his size. After the year,they can probably get him to resign at a much cheaper price and they still have jones in the rotation with him.

16. thisiscaketown

Gasol plays best at the Center position because he is a bit faster than most plodding Centers, he has a large array of post moves, and his jumper is good enough that he can punish the opposing Center if that Center doesn't follow him outside of the post. Putting him at the Power Forward position takes away his speed advantage and forces him to rely on his jumper more, which, while good, is not good enough to be his main weapon. It's also showing signs of decline as well.

Gasol and Bynum did fine together...when Bynum's role on the Lakers was as a role player and not as a main option. Once Bynum started becoming one of the main options, Gasol started getting pushed farther and farther out of the post, which hurt his effectiveness. This happened even under Phil Jackson. With the Rockets being a running team and Harden (and possibly Lin, if he stays) needing to drive into the paint, the Rockets need a young floor spacer. I would prefer our core to be young and to be able to play together for 5+ years, which is why I don't want Gasol on the team.