1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas Cowboys

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by 4chuckie, Mar 1, 2003.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. new facility would be necessary...and football stadiums aren't cheap, particularly in these economic conditions

2. the fact they have a basketball team doesn't mean they're a viable NFL market...see Salt Lake City...in fact, i would argue that for a town the size of San Antonio, having another pro sports team there actually hurts their chances of landing an NFL team.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I like Trung... but he doesn't run up the gut as well as Ahman Green does.

Similar speed though.

3. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Nice. :D

GO BEARS!!!

1. Bears
    1a. Texans
    3. Cowboys

4. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I for one did not want the Cowboys to get locked into a long term deal with Flozell. I would have perfered for them to Franchise him again for 1 year and find out if Parcells can really motivate this guy. If so then sign him long term next year. His contract is kind of big but it's the going rate on starting LT in the NFL these days.

As for Glenn ... I think it was a great trade. He still has amazing talent and it can be considered a steal for a 6th rounder in the 2004 draft. Plus he also agreed to restructure his contract to make it extremely cap friendly for the 'Boys.

It's already been reported that he will be given the opportunity to battle with Galloway and Bryant for a starting spot. There is going to be some fierce competition at the WR postion in camp this year which should only make the 'Boys better at that postion.

They do however still need to resolve the problems at QB, and the o-line (not to mention RB).

It's being reported that Jake Delohme(sp?) who played for New Orleans last year is scheduled for a visit in Dallas this week as well as Ryan Young. It's also rumored that Dallas has an interest in RB Stacy Mack from Jacksonville.

With their first pick in the draft I expect Dallas to draft either CB Terrance Newman or DT Jimmy Kennedy. Newman would give Dallas the best young secondary in the NFL.

5. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Point is we are suppose to be a "footbal state."

Football is suppose to be life.

Last I check Tampa and Jax isn't very big.

And No I'm not from SA. Born & raise in H-town.

Go Coogs!

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

And Dallas got Ryan Young as well! Makes the O-line a lil better (especially with Larry Allen returning). Here is the quote from the Dallas Morning News:

Young and the Cowboys agreed in principle to a three-year deal Tuesday night believed to be worth approximatley $8 million, including a $2 million signing bonus. "I enjoyed playing for Coach Parcells in New York," said Young, who also received two contract offers from Houston. "That was a huge factor for me."

Young will replace Solomon Page in the Cowboys' starting lineup, leaving only right guard for Dallas to solve if Andre Gurode moves back to center next season.

Young was drafted by Parcells in the seventh round with the New York Jets in 1999 and started every game for the Jets in 2000 and 2001 before going to Houston in the 2002 expansion draft. A left groin injury that required surgery limited Young to eight starts with the Texans.

7. drapg

drapg Member

I wouldn't say never about San Antonio.

Remember that Red McCombs owns the Vikings and has used San Antonio as leverage to getting new deals out of the city of Minneapolis. McCombs seems really sincere about moving his team to his home town.

I don't know how successful it would be, revenue-wise. But seeing as how he's from San Antonio, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I wouldn't say "never" about any place in regards to the NFL. Who would've thought that Nashville would be an NFL market? Or Jacksonville?

But I would seriously doubt we'd see expansion to San Antonio (of course, by the time the NFL expands again, which will probably be at least a decade away - probably longer, San Antonio might a more attractive market than now.... or worse. Lots of things can change in 10 years or more), but the NFL has not been one to stand in the way of teams moving (mostly because when they do, they lose in court). regardless of where the new market is.

If Red McCombs were serious about moving the Vikes to San Antonio, the only thing that would effectively stop him would be Minnesota - specifically the lease at the Metrodome (which runs several more years).

Personally, I think Red won't move the Vikes to San Antonio, but will rather sell them (the are unofficially for sale) and take the windfall. And McCombs really was the best chance, in the near-term any way, for an NFL team in San Antonio.

If the city were aggressive about attracting a team (which they are most certainly not), they could have a chance, but it's going to take giving away the world to make it attractive to get a team there. There isn't currently the political will to do anything like that.

As much as I love San Antonio (I was born there, after all), there are more pressing needs than spending a not-insigificant sum luring an NFL team to the city. It'd be nice to have one, but the costs are likely to far outweigh the benefits.

But that's just what I think.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

LA is building a new football stadium, The Vikings, Chargers and Cardinals are all canidates for relocation. I think some cities are only really big enough to support one professional team, i.e. Green Bay. I couldn't see the NFL allowing a team in San Antonio when they already approved Houston over the high market Los Angeles.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I probably shouldn't have said never about San Antonio, and I don't necessarily agree with the NFL giving S.A. the cold shoulder. I think it would be great for the state to have another pro team, but I just have heard over and over that for some reason, the NFL thinks very low of S.A.

They won't get one through expansion, not while L.A. still doesn't have a team, the only way to get one would be to lure one from another city with a great stadium deal.