1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drew Gooden

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by carayip, Mar 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. carayip

carayip Member

Seems to put up some big numbers since his move to Orlando. ROY?

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

No doubt he has done a good job, although I feel the ROY will go to Ming.........this coming from a person who thought Ming would need a few years to put up the type of numbers he is currently producing.;)

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Too late for Gooden to get ROY but his numbers in the EAST since the trade are much better. He really is benefitting from being on a team with T-Mac and all the attention that T-Mac receives and being in the Eastern conference.

I think he will thrive in Orlando. They made a really great trade.

Funny, in the West and on his OWN team in Memphis Gooden was a bench guy, but in the East give him one more year and he might be able to crack the all star lineup for the East! Just goes to show you how STRONG the West is in the front court positions and how WEAK the East is in those same front court positions.

Chris

4. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Gooden played well in the West to.

5. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

He's awesome. Like 19 ppg and 12 rbg. Along with Giricek who is like 15 ppg and 7 rbg. They are lookin nice. Won 4 out of 5 so far....

Good trade for them....so far.

But he won't be ROY. It HAS to be Yao. :)

6. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

And don't forget, Mike Miller is languishing on the bench with back spasms.

Double-good trade for Orlando.

7. SlamN

SlamN Member

Gooden has played well all year. He was putting up pretty decent numbers but then Lowe was fired and Hubie came in. New coach, new system plus the constant rotation of players. Guys like Mike Batiste shot more and got more PT than Gooden.

The Magic got the better end of this deal. Giricek and Miller are the same type of players. Gooden will be better than whoever the Griz select with the low pick and undersized PF Humphrey.

8. MagicFan

MagicFan Member

of course you think Yao Will win it... Look at what gooden is on pace to average the rest of the year... double double...
    yeah, and we will be in the playoffs...
    doesnt seem the rockets will be? and what about the suns? goodens averaging already better than him....
    his numbers raise every game..
    and who is more impacting, Magic without gooden, 5 games under 500.
    Now with him a game over and prolly 4 games over within the next 3 games...
    Yao and the rox are struggling to make the playoffs and slipping... so i doubt it, i mean ima rox fan 2 but lets be realistic, Gooden if hes consistant, wins the ROY...

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

THe east sucks against the west...hell the rox would be the 4th or 5th seed in the east if it wasn't for geography. I know you're trying to make a case for gooden ROY, but quit using the playoff crap as a 'valid' reason...its pathetic, considering your team is just barely in the playoffs as of now.

10. O-Mack

O-Mack Member

Well I'm a Magic Fan, but I honestly don't think that Gooden will win ROY. Gooden has been playing out of his mind lately, but everyone knows that he can't keep on playing at this pace. Amare and Yao have been bringing it consistently throughout the season and I think because of that, the voters see it as a race between these two for ROY. However, in the long run I think that Gooden is going to be a great player that has just as much potential as Amare.

BTW, I am really starting to like getting Giricek as a bonus in the trade. He seems just as good as Miller and he seems to be a big shot type of player. With him and Gooden(and hopefully a healthy Grant Hill), come playoff time we might have a chance to reach the Finals with the way things are going in the East.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On pace to average a double double? What time period are you talking about? Since he went to Orlando? I'm sure I could find a 5-6 game stretch where Yao Ming averaged a double double. Five games tells you nothing.

Gooden is a good player, but considering he was on a different team for more than half of the season, I don't see how you can give him credit for the Magic making the playoffs. Gooden could make a push, but I would be surprised. If you'll remember, things started out very well for him in Memphis, too, and everyone was predicting he would be ROY there. That changed over time. It could very easily change over time in Orlando as well.