1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gentry gets the axe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pasox2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I need a new whipping boy.;). Lucas, Gentry - who's next?

Gentry fired by Clippers; Dennis Johnson promoted

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
    March 3, 2003
    LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Coach Alvin Gentry was fired by the Los Angeles Clippers during a disappointing third season Monday and replaced by assistant Dennis Johnson.

The Clippers went into Monday night's game against New Orleans with a 19-39 record, last in the Pacific Division, despite a roster loaded with young talent.

``These decisions are never easy and this one is especially tough, because Alvin and I had a very good working relationship,'' team vice president Elgin Baylor said.

ADVERTISEMENT

``But I reached the conclusion Sunday night that the players simply were not responding and I believe a change is necessary at this time.''

Gentry went 89-133 since becoming the Clippers' coach before the 2000-01 season. Before that, he was 73-72 as coach of the Detroit Pistons. He also coached the Miami Heat, after 10 seasons as an assistant with three NBA teams.

Johnson is in his fourth season as an assistant with the Clippers. Before that, he began his head coaching career with the La Crosse (Wis.) Bobcats of the CBA in 1999-00. Johnson was first hired as an assistant with Boston from 1993-97.

Considered one of the best defensive players in NBA history, he won titles with Seattle in 1979 and Boston in 1984 and '86 during a 14-year playing career. Johnson was MVP of the NBA Finals in 1979.

The Clippers have some of the best young players in the league, but they've been plagued by losses and injuries this season.

Leading scorer Elton Brand has a stress fracture in his left leg, and his status for the rest of the season is listed as day to day. He has missed three consecutive games.

Center Michael Olowokandi underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Feb. 3 and has not been attending games or practices during his rehabilitation. He will become an unrestricted free agent July 1. Backup guard Keyon Dooling is on the injured list because of a strained left foot.

After hosting New Orleans on Monday night, the Clippers begin a six-game road trip Wednesday at Washington.

2. Joel

Joel Member

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

so will this thread...

4. carayip

carayip Member

I don't want to open another thread. May as well post here.

About Sterling, I don't think he's as bad as he's made out to be. For those of you that are critical of Sterling, which ex-Clipper(s) that demanded a max contract would you have given one to? Seriously I mean, its not like they ever got lucky with a Tim Duncan or a Kobe Bryant. I think if players like that came along even Sterling would pay up for sure. It just seems the Clippers keep on getting players that think they are max players when they are not. The only player on the current roster that deserves a max contract is maybe Brand, but that's even pushing it. It seems like most of the players that leave the Clippers because they didn't get $$$ have ended up being overpaid busts anyway. Just see one of them we have, Mo Taylor.

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think DJ is going to do a good job. So far - each team that fired it's coach got a capable assistant or a better replacement to take over. Terry Stotts for Kruger, Keith Smart for Lucas, Hubie Brown for Sidney Lowe, and now DJ for Gentry. The follow-up article today really tells the story about how Gentry was tuned out because he's "too nice". I think Rudy has this problem.

Did you notice some of the worst performing coaches in the league have been around the longest ? - Rudy, Pat Riley, Don Chaney, George Karl, Lenny Wilkens - maybe these guys are too old school. They can't adjust to changes in the league. On the other hand, you have a few old timers like Jerry Sloan and Larry Brown who are getting their guys to overachieve. What's the X factor? I'm going to guess that it's teaching and system.