1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pool Owners - Plaster Questions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I just purchased a house in Clear Lake, and getting the pool re-plastered is the first thing on the agenda. I had originally just planned to go with the regular white plaster, but one of the guys I got a quote from showed me "Diamond Brite" and I'm leaning towards going with that instead. It costs an extra $2,500, but from the research I've done it seems to last longer and looks better.

Does anyone have Diamond Brite and can comment on it? My only concern with it is that it's rough on the feet. I understand it will be rougher than regular plaster, but I don't want it tearing up people's feet. As far as colors, we are leaning towards the Tahoe Blue. Thanks!

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Focus on the looks better. It lasts longer but is twice as expensive. So with regular plaster after 7-10 years you can get it rdone and looking brand new, whereas with Diamond Brite you hope it will last 14-20 years.

3. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

We replastered our pool last year and debated this issue. In the end we went with plaster. we probably got bids from 6 or 7 companies as we were doing a lot of work. Most preferred plaster. Of course, that may partly relate to them wanting do the plaster again in another 10 years.

4. Yonkers

Yeah. I replastered just a few months ago. Debated the same stuff. In the end it cost $3000 to replaster and double that for Diamond Brite and triple that for Pebble Tec. So I went with plaster and will just redo it when needed.

5. tested911

tested911 Member

Can you guys tell me how much you guys spent, Size of pool, And which company you went with?

Our pool is need of a major replaster but it looks like it will have to wait for next year. Funds kinda low. :p

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Our pool is 550 sq ft, plus a spa. We are also getting it re-tiled, and the price for that with white plaster is $4,300. With Diamond Brite its $6,800.

7. Yonkers

Hmm don't know the square footage but it's approximately 15-16k gallons. It cost me $3000 to replaster in white with some decorative tile on the steps. I went with the local pool store near my house. I'm sure they outsourced it.

8. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

The replastering part was around $3,000, but we had multiple layers of old plaster that had to be removed. That added about 2 days of work as there were guys scrapping old plaster for almost 2 solid days, which is the reason for the higher cost. It is my understanding that most of the time a new layer of plaster can be put on top of the old.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

We've decided to just go with the white plaster. Can't justify the additional cost right now. Thanks all for the input.