1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best tablet for work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by glynch, Dec 4, 2012.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Best tablet for work.

I often have to read medical records or other 8/12 documents, which at times are online or on discs.

Need Office and some other programs that are Windows based.

My 13.3 or even 15 inch lap tops are a pain as a 8/12 by 11 page record must be shrunk down so far to fit portrait sized that it is a hard to read. I don't want anything heavy, but even an ultrabook can't be used in portrait mode.

I am thinking the soon to arrive Microsoft Surface Pro or a Samsung ATIV convertible where the tablet can be detached from the base. Both have full Windows 8 and in portrait mode a full page can be read without scrolling.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I just ordered my wife a Lenovo Yoga 13. 13.3 inches of entertainment and productivity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 rockbox, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Probably one of the full version windows 8 pro tablets would do what you want, but they won't hit the market til January I believe, and I would read some reviews on them before deciding which one of course. Ipads can read MS office documents, but don't have the program on them, though it is supposed to be released in the future:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/7/3612422/microsoft-office-mobile-ipad-iphone-android-screenshots

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Surface Pro

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

IDK if anyone has stated this yet. but get a Windows 8 Surface Pro tablet

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Thanks for the above response. The Yoga looks promising. I saw the surface at the MS Store. The pro has same sized screen

A 13.3 tablet is a bit of a clunker when used for fun which i tried to squeeze in between work, messing with streams to catch the damn Rockets and setting the world straight in the D and D forum

1 person likes this.
  7. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I am also looking at the Yoga. Dell will also have a similar ultrabook/tablet that costs a little more. If you want to connect to your office I have been told you need to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, which I think adds about $70 to the cost.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You need Pro to log into a Windows domain not to connect to the office. Here are the added features of Pro.

1 person likes this.
  9. platypus

platypus Member

I'd go with the surface rt that's coming out In January. It's basically a surface that allows you to install your own programs, has a core i5 processor and its pretty sleek.

Oh and it also has a digitizer much like the galaxy note and comes with its own pen.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Surface Pro when it shows up. Gonna kill

11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I am writing this on a Surface RT. It already kills. It has full Office capabilities that I use regularly now.

I am finding I do not require all these cute "apps" I used to have on my iPad (which I've sold now). If you have a requirement for specialized app, like if you are a pilot, then an iPad makes sense. If you have an iPhone and an Airbook, then an iPad makes sense.

The Surface Pro is cool if you REQUIRE to have extra applications and you don't already have a primary PC where that's loaded.

Personally, a have my work PC and my home PC so if I need to run those heavy applications then I can do those there. I prefer the Surface RT battery life which lasts a whole weekend on one charge. The Surface Pro will not last that long. 90% of what I do is web, email, calendar and Office ...and Surface RT does that already.

#11 krosfyah, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

13. Classic

Classic Member

Lemme ask, does it play sound? My voice mails are converted to a .wav file in my email. Could I listen to them on the Surface RT? Apple Ipad just doesn't seem the logical choice for me but maybe this is.

14. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Android and iOS will likely get Office next year, so that may expand your options. Your best bet would be the Surface Pro tablets, but you probably won't see those till early next year.

There are a few Windows 8 tablets that might be options for you. The Yoga was already mentioned. Dell has a 'convertible' XPS 12 that works as both tablet and ultrabook/laptop.

Unfortunately, I know for example that the Dell isn't available to ship until January as quantity is scarce. So even if you go W8 tablet hybrids you still might have to wait until 2013.

If you have an RT, outside of Office (which iOS and Android will probably get next year) you will still run primarily those 'cute apps'. Email, web, calendar are covered by pretty much any tablet.

15. Dei

Dei Member

+1 on the Surface Pro. Aside from being x86, it's 1080p. I actually find the keyboard attachment the best form factor for hybrids. I've heard that the Surface keyboard tears easily at the seams, though.

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Office that is released for iOS and Android will be read only unless you want to subscribe to Office365.

The keyboard is fully functional even with arrow keys, adds virtually no size to the form factor while still protecting ...and doesn't drain the battery since it isn't Bluetooth.

All my keyboard shortcuts that I use on my PC also work on my Surface. For example, I can Alt-Tab. So if you are a Windows person, it's familiar.

Also, USB is built in so transferring files from my PC is very easy.

Microsoft offers a 100% refund policy. I intended to test it and return it. I found I was able to replace it for everything I do on my iPad plus do a lot more productivity.

Surface Pro will not have Office pre-installed, btw. So if you want that, it'll be an extra cost above the $900 base price tag. Based on what I know about the Surface RT, I would hate it if it was my primary device ...but I love it as a 2ndary device. The Pro becomes interesting in that you can "dock" it with a full size monitor (I want two monitors, btw), keyboard and mouse. But battery life will be severely impacted with the Pro and that's important for me.

#16 krosfyah, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I did an extensive search, and I can't find any history of you doing that.

1 person likes this.
  18. Dei

Dei Member

So Surface RT has it but not the Pro? Crazy.

19. rage

rage Member

Is it sufficient for a college student to get either a Surface RT or Pro as the only device?

20. Freik

Freik Contributing Member