1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Debate] Romney vs. Obama - 10/3/2012

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Oct 3, 2012.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I was reading subtitles while I was at the gym and Obama just sounded smarter.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

inevitable.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iNhUI8ktHuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. basso

Supporting Member

4. Major

Major Member

This may be true - but none of the people watching and possibly being swayed by the debates watches it the way you're suggesting, so it sort of doesn't matter how he comes across that way. Part of good debating is knowing your audience and knowing your medium. And the medium was a televised debate rather than just an audio debate.

5. bmb4516

bmb4516 Member

I've got a better idea. Re-watch it without audio. Obama was dejected the whole time and his body language showed it. I've never seen anything like it.

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Rope a dope might have backfired last night, but it will still pay dividends.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Obama clearly lost and I don't think any measure of that was calculated. I think he was cocky, rusty and preoccupied with running the country and he paid for it. The good news is that Romney gave Obama the gift of completely running away from his campaign and his base by lying through his teeth every time he spoke. I don't think anyone, including the Obama campaign, expected Romney to come out and not only lie so frequently but to then double and triple down on his lies. The bad news for Romney is that the media and Obama administration are about to crucify him on those lies.

You can't really expose a liar in a debate format but you can sure as hell expose him after the fact. Get ready.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Obama just seemed too passive...and let Romney just dictate all the punches...Romney came out firing with "5 basic reasons" and Obama...just seemed out of it...

Bottomline: The one that we expected to have a better "presence/charisma" just looked flustered, repetitive and flat out boring...

Obama just made the race much more closer than he wanted...

I dont care about either candidate, because neither party has delivered to American people. The government is overbearing, banks/lenders own this country, and middle east oil keeps everyone at its mercy...

I just want to see people( republicans and dems) just understand that a lot of people just want life to improve...Everything wont be easy...and people will have to make sacrifices...but it would be better to do it now than wait for it later...it will only get worse...

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watch the debate again, but this time, squint real hard, turn the contrast way up, the treble all the way down and jump up and down....then it is obvious who did better.

1 person likes this.
  10. Raven

Raven Member

Obama debated like he secretly wants to lose the election. Like he doesn't care. Let Republicans gloat, their guy won, but the election isn't today, and Romney is always one soundbite from self destructing, so I'm not terribly worried. Yet.

PS. Hillary should have gotten the nod 4 years ago. What happened to Obama last night would not have happened to her.

11. basso

Supporting Member

12. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

LOL, you're killing me, basso! can't rep you yet.

13. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Yes republicans, enjoy your circle jerk. The battle isn't over yet.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

They need to follow his act and hold him to the empty promises he was shelling out en masse in this debate. Because god knows that he's not going to live up to them.

15. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Understand.

But we're still partying like its 1979 :grin:

Seriously, we know it's not a one round fight. There will be more.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Obama may have lost the debate, but the initial comparison of pre vs. post debate polls seems to indicate it did little to move people's opinions. 47 to 41 pre-debate. 48 to 43 post debate.

Now, of course things might change over the next few days as the "Obama lost the debate" narrative bounce around the media a bit (the Mitt 47% comment took a week or so to make any impact on the polls, but then again many more people watched the debate than checked out the Mitt video on Motherjones.com) and if Obama doesn't do better next debate it may have a bigger impact, but I don't know if the debate has been that important when it comes to getting Mitt votes (which is the whole point of the exercise for the candidates).

17. Major

Major Member

Sure you can. In fact, with Romney, it's really really easy. All Obama had to was pick one lie that he was sure would come up. Let's say taxes, because this was an economic debate and that was 100% certain to come up. Just memorize a few lines beforehand. Say "In Denver, on March 6, you said "blah blah blah." In Ohio, on June 5, you said "blah blah". Now you're saying "blah blah". You keep changing your position on the most central issue to your campaign. I can't debate someone who won't take a solid position on a topic. Why should the American people believe anything you say?"

It's the easiest thing in the world to point out his inconsistencies in a debate because you have the floor to yourself and can repeat memorized talking points. Why he didn't do that, I have no idea.

18. SunsRocketsfan

maybe he is tired of being president..

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing as I was watching. I was saying to myself, "Conquistador, do you think Obama really wants to be President?" His body language, enthusiasm, and desire all pointed to 'no'. Has he simply burned out? If so, he needs to let us know, because we need someone who WANTS the job to take on the responsibilities of President. Otherwise, we're totally screwed.

20. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2eMkth8FWno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>