1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whitney Mercilus, too soon?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by BullRider, Sep 28, 2012.

1. BullRider

BullRider Member

Has he done anything? I expected more out of a 1st round choice. Wade had something to say yesterday that made me feel better. Thoughts???

Quotes: Thursday practice

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Way too soon. He isn't even starting. He has been getting around 10 snaps a game. He had a decent preseason with 1.5 sacks. I think his role will grow as the season progresses. Barwin and Reed can't continue to play these many snaps and not wear down in my opinion.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He's an edge pass rusher, and on passing downs they're not going to pull Barwin or Reed. I don't know how many snaps he's gotten on defense but I don't think it's been many...he's just going to have to wait for his opportunity.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Reed didn't do much until later in the season last year, so I'm not worried

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Mercilus was chosen to replace Barwin at season's end...dont expect much until next season.

6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

he had a good stop at the opening of the Denver game.

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

He got some pressure on Gabbert last week.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The guy has been putting some good hits in special teams though...For now...its a good thing we don't need to use our number draft pick for this year...He will get his opportunity in time...

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He looks like a monster on special teams and he's making it happen out there. They are definitely bringing him along slowly, nothing wrong with that, we don't need the guy right now. Smells like another case of Texans fan grasping at straws for something to complain about...

I wouldn't be surprised if we're saving him too. Making sure there's no tape out there then unleashing him on Rodgers or Flacco. Mercilus' time will come.

On a side note, Bruce Irvin who I suspect we wanted looks great.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It was widely known he was a luxury/depth draft pick. The defense is running great without him; that allows us to bring him along slowly (aka the non-Kareem Jackson method).

11. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

This was my understanding as well.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

We're in a new era of Texans football, one where we don't need all our rookies to come in and start for us. I for one, think it's beautiful.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree with this. He was brought in to be the third OLB so that the Texans could always have two OLBs on the field. He has played 19% of the snaps. He is fine for now being the first guy off the bench. He does make Barwin expendable it the Texans can't get him at a good price...even then, I think Texans franchise Barwin.

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

He is just for depth right now, and to keep practicing and knowing the system, its amazing that you dont need to play your 1st round pick, because all your players are great.

Also with Posey, he is too raw now, but with more practice with the team, he will be ready, maybe he will not play a lot this year, or doesnt play good this year, but he is going to be good player next year or so.

15. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Defense, they are slowly trying to work him in and he hasn't done much with his limited reps. He was also a late 1st round pick and teams picking at the tail end part of the 1st round are good and full of talent. On special teams though, I always see him around the play and I'm glad he's embraced that role.

16. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

He's no Melvin Ingram. That's for dang sure

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's too early, and the players in front of him on the roster are too talented for us to know anything about Mercilus right now. A year on the bench behind Barwin and Reed certainly won't hurt him.

18. delishman

delishman Member

You win some you lose some.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

In retrospec it wasn't the best idea to spend a #1 pick on a backup. If we needed a possible replacement for Barwen next season we could have selected someone to groom in the 2nd or 3rd.

20. Poloshirtbandit

Nah, don't want to end up in another Kareem replacing Dunta type of situation.