1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oilers curse still endures - LOL

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Raven

Raven Member

Suck it up Bud.

You will never win the big one.

Har Har Har

www.nfl.com

Raven

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Odds and Ends

Eddie George should retire.

Are there any recievers in the NFL who CAN catch?

The Texans will win a Super Bowl before the Titans do.

Knowing Bud's history, (firing Bum for not making the Super Bowl)
    Jeff Fisher will probably be fired and Mariuci will be brought in.

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Raiders and Texans are my favorite teams. I been a Raider fan since 98 (when they drafted Woodson)

4. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

5. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I laughed and laughed and laughed some more. Even though I was only half right on picks tonight, it's the half I REALLY wanted to happen.

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

The thing I was struck by while watching the Titans play was how many players on that team I've never heard of. I mean, I know the big ones: McNair, George, Mason, Wycheck, but a lot of those offensive players (especially the receivers) I'd never heard of (or didn't know were Titans... like Robert Holcombe).

It was just such a difference, especially after watching part of that Buffalo game special on Classic Sports earlier in the day and knowing every Oiler on the field.

I guess that's what happens when you stop following a team very closely (and, sadly, I didn't get to see either of the Texans games vs. the Titans since they didn't put them on TV here).

Glad they lost, but only because they're Bud's team still. Once he kicks, I can't imagine I'll care. There's so little of the Titans left to remind me that they used to be the Houston team... and less and less with each passing year.

7. TL

TL Contributing Member

You don't know the receivers, because they are mostly young. I'm sure you know Mason and Dyson, but Dyson is out for the year (and his contract is up, so he may be done as a Titan forever). The other primary receivers are Drew Bennett and Justin McCareins. Bennett is a 2nd year and was undrafted out of UCLA, but seems to have great hands and has done really well. Justin is in the same class as Bennett. I think he finished his senior year as the 2nd best college receiver (behind Josh Reed), but went to Northern Illinois, so you never heard much about him. He's a good receiver, but had a few rough spots this year. The guy is a great performer, though and will be back strong next year. (plus he's a friend of mine, so I know he can rebound). The only reason you even saw Eddie Berlin on the field today was because Justin went out late in the first half with a concussion. Hopefully, with a healthy Justin and maybe another decent receiver, you won't see Berlin or Simon on the field too much anymore.

It's not quite the Oiler's curse, either guys. The Titans had a strong showing this year. Probably better than they should have had. They had a great year, they are just not the best in the league.

I gotta admit, as much as I can understand the hatred for Bud Adams, how can you NOT like players like McNair and George?

8. BALLhog 247 365

they suck...and of all areas to move the oilers, tennesee?

9. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I still like the Titans, and other than the Texans they are still one of my favorite teams. I also like the Giants and allways have, I guess I like there blue color. Super Bowl 37 is going to be a good one! One of the best imo. Battle of the Pirates! Go Raiders.

Raiders 27 Buccaneers 23

10. mrpaige

That was my point, though. So much of the team is made up of people who weren't ever Houston Oilers. I don't know who they are because I didn't follow the team very closely once they left Houston. But that's the point. I don't know them because they aren't on my team. I was noting how much that team has changed since leaving Houston (which was after the 1996 season, which really is a long time ago).

As for McNair and George, what did they ever do for Houston? Yes, they were on the Houston Oilers roster very briefly, but neither are Houston players anymore. Why should people like them any more than any other players on competing teams? Or any more than players who once played for the Houston Oilers then went on to other teams?

Personally, I don't dislike them anymore than any other player on a competing team, but by the same token, I don't like them any better just because they were very briefly Houston Oilers. (Speaking of, I hate that ESPN.com, on their player statistics, lists players like McNair as playing for TEN in 1995 and 1996 when there was no team in TEN).

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

McNair and George were just barely Houston Oilers...their time here was spent rebuilding so they could be contenders for some other city...we all knew that. I didn't have time to build any affection for those guys as hometown guys...they weren't here long enough, and the performance of their time here (as a team/unit) was quite underwhelming...hard to capture the imagination of a city with rebuilding youngsters when you know they won't be playing here in their prime...when you know the team won't represent here again.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The only Oilers game I ever attended happened to be McNair's first career start. It was against the Jets in December 1994.

13. mrpaige

No it wasn't. McNair was still in college in December, 1994.

14. mrpaige

EDIT: Not trying to be a jerk. I should've mentioned that you just got the year slightly wrong.

15. Elvis Costello

I know Bud is the anti-Christ in Houston, but his franchise has pretty much been a model organization since they moved to Tennessee. Bud actually stopped being an NFL version of Donald Sterling long before the Oilers bolted. The coaching staff and front office have been pretty stable there for years and they don't scrimp on scouting and payroll at all.
    On the football side of things, I think the Titans will be a force in the AFC for a long time, actually. They have a deep, young and talented defensive line and an offense that is built around Steve McNair who is at the peak of his considerable talents. With some more offensive line help and another consistent receiving threat they will be tough. It's not like they choked against the Raiders, anyway. They were in that game until the 4th quarter and couldn't overcome turnovers and a more talented and motivated team playing at home. They'll be back.

16. tigereye

tigereye Member

I just hope the Titans dont make it to the Super Bowl next year cuz its the big one is going to be played here. After all the heartache the Oilers gave us in not making the Super Bowl, to think of the thought of watching them play in the Super Bowl here wouyld truly suck

p.s. The Chronicle is reporting that our Super Bowl XXXVIII logo will be unveiled today. It is said to be in the shape of a futuristic oval but with a bold old west-type flair to it.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

tiger eye, that would actually be one hell of a story. Could you imagine if they came back to houston for the superbowl. That would really get the crowd excited one way or another.

18. tigereye

tigereye Member

That would suck!!!!!! I dont know about you but I am tired of seeing Houston fans cheering on the Tennesse Titans. Why dont we just cheer for the Cowboys while were at it. Bud drug this city through a ringer. For him to win a Super Bowl on our turf would suck big time. I laughed as he anguished in pain as his beloved Titans got their asses kicked by tha Raiders. CURSE THE TITANS, CURSE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

19. drapg

drapg Member

If the Titans make it to the Super Bowl in Houston, I will blow my life savings for just one measly ticket, no matter where in the stadium it is located.