1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buffalo and Mario Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by platypus, Sep 11, 2012.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Mario and his agent were able to con a team into making him the highest paid defensive player in the league. Nothing wrong with that. When the Buffalo fans turn on him for not living up to his contract he can laugh in his Lambo all the way to the bank.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That's what Im worried about...Mario has this switch that decides when he wants to play up to his potential. It usually came during battle red days or nationally televised games...the game against Houston will be one of those moments where he decides to play with passion, and that can be dangerous. No doubt he is a force when he brings his emotions up to par with his talent.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Well said, that was my gripe at Mario, his motor seldom seemed to match up with his talent. When he decided to go all out, he was a load, but I thought he "loafed" a lot.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

lol @ all the people wrong on the first page.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They were clowning Mario in NFL Radio this morning.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This seems to happen every year yet he ends up with 10 sacks and making the Pro Bowl.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He's made 2 pro bowls. He's no Reggie White and that contract basically expects him to perform like a White or Bruce Smith.

9. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I hope the Bradie James signing don't screw them getting that 3rd pick.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

frankly, if his only motivation to go all out is to get revenge on his own team then good riddance. he should be motivated from the $100 million contract alone to go all out every game.

12. Win

Win Contributing Member

THIS ^^^ - I see this happening as well - I don't really understand the hate. He got a great offer and took it. I'm just glad the Texans did not match it.

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

he's made 2 pro bowls and been over 10 sacks twice in 6 years....

EDIT: and is the highest paid defensive player in NFL history right?? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

One of those years he only played 5 games due to injury (and he had 5 sacks) and in another he was a rookie.

In the other two he had 9 sacks.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't hate the guy, but you would think the highest paid defensive player in the league would have more than just 2 double-digit sack years to his credit.

The last time he played all 16 games in a season, he was tied for 16th in the league in sacks. Tully Banta-Cain (who?) had more sacks than he did that year. LOL.

Also, his sack totals have gone down every year since 2007.

But whatever. Not our problem anymore. :)

16. Win

Win Contributing Member

I hear ya brah... perfect example of the NFL mimicking real life - Some people can just sorta slide by, rising to the occasion when it's opportune and always come out on top. Williams was always just good enough and did some nice things for the community (not sure that HPD needed those sweet rides, but know those that do) so I have no hard feelings... I actually hopes he does well and like i said, glad the Texans are not obligated to his outrageous contract. He may not even heal from his last injury.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont hate him, he preferred a big paycheck when he still could get one, and this is the last big contract he could sign, so he took the money.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Mario with 2 tackles this week. Clearly having a Watt type impact for Buffalol.

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I've been guilty of it in the past just like anyone else, but this MW bad-game tracking is a serious case of schadenfreud, i.e. just being happy that he's performing poorly.

Letting MW go was a business decision based on sound logic. He continually underperformed relative to his stature and salary and giving him another contract at that level and age would have been foolish. Why continue bashing the guy after he's gone?

It's basically being on the other side of the MW/Bush/VY debacle where people couldn't wait to chime in on how bad those two were doing.

Like david_rocket said, I don't begrudge him taking the money if teams are willing to offer it.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I absolutely do not wish any ill on Mario, but there were more than a few posters stomping their feet January-April about letting a "Hall of Fame" guy go, even saying we should dump Foster, Myers and the rest to keep him....when others of us knew he wasn't anywhere near the part.

I wore his jersey, he's a very good football player, but he doesn't and didn't have near the impact on the game that his new contract demands. He's going to bounce back and have some 2+ sack games. The Bills aren't going to hang themselves with the contract, since they had so much money to spend and it's front loaded.

But Buffalo is a blue collar hockey town. They aren't going to be forgiving of a guy with a low effort, cut the check mentality. His comments about being fouled last week went over like a lead balloon in that city. And don't forget, this is where Bruce Smith played.