1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want the Texans to draft w/ their #1?!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ESource, Jan 14, 2003.

?

Who do YOU want the Texans to take w/ their 1st rounder?

1. Terrell Suggs, DE/OLB, Arizona St.

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. Jimmy Kennedy, DT, Penn St.

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. Charles Roger, WR, Michigan st.

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  4. TRADE down for extra picks

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I totally get your point, Ric, but if Rogers is even close to Randy Moss (and of course, who knows at this point), then I would gladly trade up to get him. That's a franchise player type of talent. I would hope the Texans would have major regrets about "the one that got away" if he does turn out to be a stud, and they didn't at least try to make a move for him before the draft. (But, of course, hindsight is 20/20.)

I'm not steadfast in my determination to get Rogers. Don't get me wrong; this is not an at-all-costs type of thing. I would settle for a slightly lesser quality wide receiver and keep the #3 pick. However, I just think that all the ducks are in a row (planets are aligned) regarding a trading-up scenario. Regardless of whether or not the Bengals WANT to trade down (or have discussed it), they'd be crazy not to consider moving down 2 spots. Why? Detroit is not a threat to pick up a QB, and I'm not convinced they'd actually consider trading their pick to a QB-starved team (they need a playmaker, too!). Therefore, Cincy would scoop up an extra pick or two for nothing and still get the player they wanted at #1. Or, they could trade down again with a QB-starved team, much the way we're thinking about doing it now. From the Bengals' end, it's win-win.

Now, from our perspective, yes, we'd end up giving away needed draft picks, but I still think the cost-benefit analysis favors us, especially if we don't give up an extra high-round draft pick in the process. Personally, I don't think it would take much to sway the Bengals. Is Rogers head and shoulders above the competition? Right now, yes he is. He's #2 overall on Kiper's Big Board (Kiper says: Big target (6-4, 205) with Randy Moss-like skills), #2 overall on The Huddle Report, #1 overall at NFL Draft Blitz, #1 overall at Hyde's Draft Central, #1 overall at AOK's draft site, #1 overall at Football.com, #1 WR on Boomer's site, #1 WR on All-Pro Scouting, #1 WR on Great Blue North Draft Scouting, #1 WR on HoustonProFootball.com, etc. I know you abhor pre-draft scouting and rankings, Ric, but there's almost a unanimous consensus among every draftnik out there that Rogers is the real deal. That's worth the risk in trading up, IMO. Plus, our offense scored 13.3 points a game last year, good for DEAD LAST in the league. On the defensive side, 13 teams gave up more points per game than we did last year. So, which side of the ball needs more attention in the offseason? Gee, I wonder...

Keep in mind that this is all just a theory. For all we know, the Texans could try to trade up, only to be seriously out-bid by the Lions, who got wind of our trade talks and offered the moon. If a bidding war for #1 to get Rogers erupted between our two teams, then I would definitely hesitate to trade up. My theory is based on the notion that, among other things, it wouldn't take much to trade up to #1. Detroit's involvement would blow that notion out of the water. In that case, fine, keep the pick, scoop up Kennedy/Suggs, and pick up Kareem Kelly/Brandon Lloyd/Bryant Johnson in the second round or something.

2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If Suggs is willing to play OLB I say keep the #3 pick and draft him. Second Round pick up Mike Doss SS. And in the fourth round get McGahee. But if L. Johnson or C. Brown are there in the second round it will be hard to pass them up.

3. VesceySux

LOL. That statement doesn't jive with your signature. :)

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Im still in shock that McGahee got hurt in the fourth quarter so its hard for me to change my signature.

5. VesceySux

Hey, Ric, did you show this thread to one of your staff members over at HoustonProFootball.com? Either they decided to copy what I wrote, or we have another case of "great minds think alike." You must admit that it IS kind of fishy that the below was posted to your site ONE DAY after I posted it here...

I'm soooo smart. Maybe I can write for your site, too. :)

Here is the entire article, in case anyone cares.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If Houston trades with Cincy, the Bengals would still be taking a risk. If they want Carson Palmer, they better hope Detroit doesnt trade down with the Bears, Cowboys, or Cards.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

nah. i don't think keith frequents CC.net.

others have suggested the same plan in our forum. rogers is, no question, the fans' choice. reminds me of the 2000 draft, when everyone assumed (wanted) CLE would add a weapon to couch's arsenal (warrick) and they wound up taking courtney brown, a DL from penn state. sound familiar, LOL.

btw, to quickly answer your latest rebuttal...

don't get caught overrating the texans' defense. they could use an upgrade at every single position, save walker, payne, sharper and glenn... and walker and glenn are by no means long term solutions; they're both 30+. and the team will have decisions to make on brown, foreman and posey, who all started and contributed. they may not be all-pros, but i guarantee they're better than whatever's behind them.

the D generated very little pass rush last year and had trouble shutting down the run. it also was one gary walker injury away from being very mediocre. imo, kennedy improves these areas immensely all by his lonesome.

the texans have a lot of youth on offense. i expect gaffney will improve, i think the OL will improve (pitts and weary, plus milford brown) and carr, of course, will improve. by doing absolutely nothing, i think that unit will be better. and if you did read keith's article, one of his most salient points was that, despite rogers' huge year, michigan state still sucked whales.

my opinion, if you're a player or two away, and rogers was that player, i'd trade up. but not now.