1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers white jerseys a hit

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Free Agent, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

This just makes me even more anxious to see our new gear.

Lakers' Sunday dress whites a best seller

By Oscar Dixon, USA TODAY

The Los Angeles Lakers have been able to regain some of their NBA championship swagger, but it's their new white home jerseys that are dominating the competition.

[​IMG]

Since they debuted the jerseys in their Christmas Day loss to the Sacramento Kings, the Lakers are 5-1 and the jerseys have become a top seller. In the last three weeks, more than 25,000 have been sold.

"The white jersey has been a great update to the Lakers' on-court identity and, based on current sales, it will be the must-have sports apparel item for 2003," says Sal LaRocca, senior vice president of the NBA Global Merchandising Group.

The Lakers, who all say they like the jerseys, wear them for Sunday home games. They were 2-1 entering Sunday's game against Miami when they play in the white uniforms, which have topped all licensed merchandise.

For the week ending Jan. 5, Kobe Bryant's white jersey was the best seller of the top 30 overall licensed products, which include merchandise from the NBA, NFL, NHL, Major League Baseball and the NCAA, according to the Sports Trend Info news bulletin.

League officials say the white jerseys have been among the top-selling items each week since Christmas at the NBA Store in New York and on NBA.com.

#1 Free Agent, Jan 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2003
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The Celtics and Lakers should *never* change their jerseys. That jersey does not say "Lakers" to me at all. I mean, when is the last time the Lakers or Celtics have changed their jerseys??? This white one is just another jersey, imo

Probably the only reason they are selling is because they are soon to be discontinued, making them a good thing to collect now.

3. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

The lakers changed their jerseys three years ago after the first championship

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK, I didn't mean never updating a jersey to new cuts. I meant they shouldn't change logo or colors. Aren't all the changes made just cosmetic changes like changing the collar and the number's font or the stripe under the armpits. Has the shade of yellow ever changed or the logo?? What about the shade of blue for the road games?

Changing from yellow to white is drastic, and it makes them look like just another team, imo.

5. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Looks like the Indiana Pacers uniform.

[​IMG]

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

They actually changed it before their first title. They got new duds when they got into the Staples Center.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You beat me to it. That's exactly what I was going to say when I first saw the Laker unis.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All of your comments beat me to it.

Laker fans I know absolutely HATE IT.

First Chick, then Jerry and now the jerseys. Do they really want to F* up a good thing?