1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

We should have gone after Harpring

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaDakota, Dec 9, 2002.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Would have been nice to have either had him last nite, or the Jazz not to have...

2. SLA

SLA Member

He is BIG and STRONG...AND he can SHOOT! He is fitting perfectly with Utah. We should have got him.
    His role in Utah is very simple. He receives the ball and shoots. They just pass around and find an open man due to the work of John Stockton and Karl Malone and Greg Ostertag. John Stockton moves around and passes the ball. Or he drives inside and then passes out or shoots. Greg Ostertag and Karl Malone are busy setting picks and screens. Then they hold the guards and prevent them from getting to the shooter. They are old veterans that know all the good tricks. They are good at it. And they have an array of perfect shooters.

Derrock, some of those idiot contracts would be Kelvin Cato and Maurice Taylor. We could get WangZhiZhi for minimum wage! Or we could have gotten Keon Clark. How much does he earn annually?

LOL DaDakota...
    "Because when he passes the ball, we pass it back."

AI...we talkin bout PRACTICE MAN !!

3. IVFL

IVFL Member

Geez imagine that. .. . a team that makes everyone better, stern better do somethig, he does not want one of those things in his leauge. Its all about the superstars baby, forget the team:rolleyes:

I think Harpring is just testement to what a player can be when put into a system that emphasises team play rather than me play.

4. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we had him and Jerry Sloan.

5. superjazzfan

superjazzfan Member

Isn't is a violation of board rules for a Rockets fan to post something nice about the Jazz or a Jazz player? :) ;) :D

6. slinslin

slinslin Member

Harpring is living off of Karl Malone and John Stockton as well as the Jazz system.

His FG% is totally overrated because the Jazz system gets him and almost any player open layups a LOT. That's why the Jazz lead the league in FG%. Harpring isn't half as good perimeter shooter.

He is a product of the Jazz system.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Harpring would have just been relegated to standing behind the arc and launching occasional and sporadically distributed 3's in our offensive scheme of things. Houston is where small forwards come to DIE.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Before this season if I knew we could have got James Posey for KT I would say I have no interest in Harpring for the MCE. Harpring is playing really well, and am I wavering a little bit on whether Posey will be the better player and better fit--but I still think it may come to fruition. A SF/SG combo with superior defensive and adequate offensive skills (Posey) may just prove more helpful to us than Harpring could. One thing Harpring couldn't do well is guard the elite wing players in the league. His shooting skills are nice, but you have to ask how much more he would afford us over our alternatives in the long run in the form of KT/Posey, MoT, Boki, TMo, etc for the price . I say it is not obvious Harpring was the right guy for us despite him looking like a great pick-up for the Jazz.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Funny, isn't it, how Harpring, Cheaney, Shandon, Eisley and on and on thrive with Sloan (and Stockton/Malone) when success is not there for any of those fellows 'on their own'.

I hate Sloan and I hate Stockton and I hate Malone, but maybe I shouldn't. Maybe I should respect and revere their sorry selves. I just cannot, but I should.