1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] European championship 2012

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by arno_ed, Dec 15, 2011.

1. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Not quite the Roger McGough of Spain or El Salvador or the USA.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/inkWIIPV0JY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Missed the game on Sunday, but it looked like I didn't miss much.

3. Marteen

Marteen Member

I enjoyed watching the Euro Championship.

I like to call soccer "Football", because that is it's real name. Football is my favorite sport and I remember watching my first World Cup in 1998 (thought I have vague memories of it since I was eight at the time).

Football isn't quite what it used to be with all the flopping, but it's still awesome to see teams like Spain dominate the stage.

The better team won on Sunday, and I think they may win it all again 2 years from now in the World Cup.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The fifa world ranking really is a joke, There are some chances as a result of the EC.
    http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

How come Uruguay is third? England 4th?
    Brazil 11th below croatia and denmark????

Ofcourse we knew it was a joke when the Netherlands was 1 even though Spain was the WC and EC champion.

#1344 arno_ed, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  5. Margrave

Margrave Member

The USA has slid to 36th, yikes.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The FIFA ranking is the biggest piece of garbage, don't even look at it.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Has anyone noticed that Cesc Fabregas appears to wear comedy false teeth in interviews... <a href="http://t.co/l7gURmNt" title="http://www.itv.com/sport/football/euro/article/2012-07-01/exclusive-cesc-fabregas-interview-spain-are-not-boring-we-play-with-style/">itv.com/sport/football…</a></p>&mdash; ITV Football (@itvfootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/219756834230251520" data-datetime="2012-07-02T11:38:06+00:00">July 2, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

The FIFA rankings are not a joke if you consider what they are measuring. This is not a "Power Rankings" or anything. It's basically a strict performance based evaluation of team's results. While you heavily focus on EC and WC, the Fifa rankings use those but then also use friendlies, WC and EC qualyfing and other tournaments to come up with this ranking.

9. arno_ed

I know what they meassure. But when the current EC and WC is not number one on the list (spain, when the Netherlands was first), and you have team like Brazil not in the top 10 but teams like Croatia and denmark are there is something wrong with you formulas to make these lists.

Furthermore it is stupid to use friendlies in these rankings. Who cares if you lose a friendly match?

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Uruguay deserves to be #3 - they're reigning World Cup semifinalists, the Copa America champions and, outside of Diego Forlan, have a very young and experienced team.

11. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

That's mainly because the Netherlands always dominates qualyfing and plays well in friendlies (not leading up to this EC). Therefore, they were to more in form team leading up to those rankings. Big tournaments are all that matter in soccer but the rankings shouldn't only reflect those. Again, they're not power rankings. Otherwise Ghana and Paraguay would be ranked the same as Argentina and Brazil if you only used WC (and EC).

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

2014 WC will feature goal line technology

Goal or no goal? Referees will soon no longer have to decide themselves whether the ball has crossed the line or not without technical assistance. Following nine months of testing in England, Germany, Hungary and Italy, at a special meeting in Zurich on 5 July, the International Football Association Board (IFAB) decided to introduce goal-line technology into football. Of the eight companies that took part in the first round of tests, only two systems – Hawk-Eye and GoalRef – successfully completed the process and can now apply to become FIFA goal-line technology licensees.

GoalRef system – magnetic field technology
    The GoalRef system creates the radio equivalent of a light curtain. Low magnetic fields are produced around the goal, and as soon as the ball, which is fitted with a compact electronic device, fully crosses the line, a minor change in the magnetic field is detected, thus allowing the exact position of the ball to be established. If a goal has been scored, an alert is transmitted to the match officials via a radio signal within one second, with a message displayed on their watches and via vibration.

Hawk-Eye system – goal-line camera technology
    The Hawk-Eye system uses six to eight high-speed cameras set up at different angles at each end to calculate the exact position of the ball. The data from the cameras is then transferred to video software. From this data, the system generates a graphic image (3D) of the ball's trajectory. The match officials are informed of whether or not it was a goal within one second.

The FIFA licensing process
    With immediate effect, the manufacturers of goal-line technology can apply to FIFA for a licence to install their system. Before obtaining a licence, the technology must undergo a series of extensive laboratory and field tests as well as testing in simulated match situations.

Once the tests have been passed and the application requirements have been met, the system is accepted into the licensing programme. After signing the contracts with FIFA, the manufacturer receives official authorisation to install the goal-line technology worldwide.

Once the system has been installed in a stadium, it undergoes a final inspection to check its functionality. The results of the final installation test must be accepted by the licensee's customer, i.e. the competition organiser, club or stadium operator, before the system can be put into operation.

As soon as FIFA has received and checked all of the signed documents, the installation is awarded the FIFA QUALITY PRO mark. The goal-line technology can then be used in official matches. More information on the GLT Quality Programme, including videos, Q&As and more information on the test manual and licensing procedure, can be found at: www.FIFA.com/QUALITY.

13. arno_ed

Van Gaal is the new dutch head coach. I'm not happy with this, I think the situation is to similar to the last time he failed as a coach.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wait, I just read (be it very late) that Torres won the 2012 Euro Golden Boot?? wtf??

Is this fantasy?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

same one assist with Gomez but played less minutes....

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

^^
    The best thing is that Torres is now one of the most successful players of this era, having won the WC, 2x EC and CL.