1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford Mock Draft 9.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2012.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I don't see why more teams are not trying to court Charlotte ... they need much more than a rookie with potential...they need a draft for like a whole team at their disposable.

Sacramento, Portland, Cleveland, and Toronto at least have enough pieces and high enough picks to at least make them think about it.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

1. Anthony Davis
    Position: PF
    Height: 6-foot-11
    Weight: 222 pounds
    School: Kentucky

Analysis: The Hornets' big trade with the Wizards last week put their blueprint in sharp relief. This team is going young and will build around Davis. Although the Hornets won't be great next season, they're building a rock-solid foundation. In addition to the No. 1 pick, they now have the cap room to re-sign Eric Gordon and another significant free agent, plus the No. 10 pick.

2. Charlotte

Thomas Robinson
    Height: 6-foot-9
    Weight: 244 pounds
    School: Kansas

Analysis: Robinson is a bit of a placeholder right now. The Bobcats have had the major players in for workouts but are in the process of seeing whether they'd be better off trading this pick. As we've reported the past three weeks, they're looking for multiple young assets in return.

The most likely scenario has the Bobcats swapping the No. 2 pick with Cleveland for the No. 4 pick and either pick No. 24 or picks 33 and 34. Obviously, the Bobcats would prefer the 24th pick, but the Cavs would prefer to hold on to it. Although the Cavs aren't the only team in play for the pick, they have the most realistic scenario right now and likely would take Bradley Beal at No. 2. If the Bobcats end up keeping the pick, it sounds as though Robinson has a slight edge.

3. Washington

Bradley Beal
    Position: SG
    Height: 6-foot-5
    Weight: 202 pounds
    School: Florida

Analysis: The Wizards made the first big trade of the offseason, sending Rashard Lewis and the 46th pick to New Orleans for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza. With the deal, the Wizards essentially upgraded their front court -- Okafor likely will be their starting 5, Nene their starting 4 and Ariza their starting 3.

With John Wall running the point, that leaves them with one big hole: at the 2. I think this makes Beal a no-brainer for the Wizards, who are lacking a lights-out perimeter shooter. He's a perfect fit for this new roster. And if the Wizards believe they are in danger of losing Beal, don't be surprised if they offer the Bobcats the No. 32 pick to move up one spot. If Beal is off the board, it looks as though Harrison Barnes is Plan B.

4. Cleveland

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    Position: SF
    Height: 6-foot-8
    Weight: 233 pounds

Analysis: We'll be going back and forth on this one right up until the draft. If the Cavs don't move up to No. 2 to take Beal, this is between Barnes and Kidd-Gilchrist. Both camps are confident their guy is the guy in Cleveland. But after hearing on Monday that Barnes was, in fact, the pick, it looks like the pendulum has swung back in MKG's direction. Both guys desperately don't want to go to Sacramento. If I'm Chris Grant, I make them go one-on-one, Kwame Brown-Tyson Chandler style, on Thursday morning.

One other scenario worth reporting: Terrence Ross will be in Cleveland on Wednesday for a private workout. He won't go No. 4. But he also won't be on the board when Cleveland picks again, at No. 24. If the Cavs can't get to No. 2, are they thinking about moving down a few spots?

5. Sacramento

Harrison Barnes
    Weight: 228 pounds
    School: North Carolina

Analysis: Someone isn't going to be very happy and it might be Barnes. Not only does he really not want to go to Sacramento, but it's possible the Kings trade this pick and he slides down even further. We think the stopping point is Golden State at No. 7, but don't be so sure (see Warriors comment below). I doubt he would slide past Toronto, though. The Raptors love, love, love Barnes at No. 8.

6. Portland (via Nets)

Damian Lillard
    Position: PG
    Height: 6-foot-3
    Weight: 189 pounds
    School: Weber State

Analysis: The Blazers need a point guard and a big man. They'll have to make a very tough choice here between Lillard and Andre Drummond. Lillard is a steady, athletic guard who can shoot the lights out and get to the rim. Drummond is a super-athletic big man who can block shots.

While teams usually opt for size, the fact that Drummond is two to three years away might tip the scale toward Lillard. The Blazers, remember, aren't rebuilding, they're retooling. Dion Waiters is the sleeper pick here.

7. Golden State

Andre Drummond
    Position: C
    Height: 7-foot-0
    Weight: 279 pounds
    School: UConn

Analysis: Not sure which way this goes, folks. ... Not sure the Warriors do either. Jerry West is a big fan of Dion Waiters. Owner Joe Lacob isn't sure if they can pass on the size and potential of Andre Drummond. I usually pick the owner in these types of fights. ... Then again, this is Jerry West you're talking about.

I'm also not totally sure if the Waiters thing isn't a ruse to get the Raptors to give up something to swap picks. That sort of stuff happens this time of year.

8. Toronto

Dion Waiters
    Height: 6-foot-4
    Weight: 221 pounds
    School: Syracuse

Analysis: I don't believe the Raptors promised to pick Waiters at No. 8; most signs point to the Suns making him that promise at No. 13. However, Toronto is the only team that has worked him out and really needs a guard who can get to the basket at will.

Jeremy Lamb and Austin Rivers are also possibilities here, but from everything I can gather, Waiters is in the lead.

9. Detroit

John Henson
    Height: 6-foot-10
    Weight: 216 pounds

Analysis: Meyers Leonard occupied this spot for roughly six hours before Henson reclaimed it. Why? Henson, Leonard, Tyler Zeller, Perry Jones, Terrence Jones and Jared Sullinger all worked out in Detroit on Monday, and the consensus was that Henson really shined. The Pistons really need a shot-blocker, and Henson fits the bill.

10. New Orleans
    (via Wolves)

Austin Rivers
    Weight: 203 pounds
    School: Duke

Analysis: After the first nine picks, things start to break down a little bit. The Hornets can go in a lot of directions and also are exploring trades. Sources say they offered the Rockets the 10th pick for Nos. 14 and 16 but were turned down last week.

If they keep the pick, they really need help at center, point guard and small forward. Although Rivers doesn't fill any of those positions, I'm told the Hornets have been enamored with him. Tyler Zeller, Jeremy Lamb and Moe Harkless are other possibilities here.

11. Portland

Tyler Zeller
    Height: 7-foot-0
    Weight: 247 pounds

Analysis: If the Blazers go with a guard at No. 6, don't be surprised if they go big with their other selection. Zeller isn't a sexy pick, but he is capable of playing right now, has solid size for his position and runs the floor well. Other possibilities here include Dion Waiters, Austin Rivers, Jeremy Lamb and Terrence Ross.

12. Milwaukee

Terrence Ross
    Height: 6-foot-7
    Weight: 197 pounds
    School: Washington

Analysis: Ross worked out for the Bucks on Tuesday. I don't think it was a game-changer, but if Tyler Zeller is off the board, I think they might opt for Ross over Meyers Leonard. Yes, they need a big man more, but they also need a big wing who can shoot the basketball and there is a lot of pressure in Milwaukee to win now. Leonard is a project. Ross can play right now.

13. Phoenix

Jeremy Lamb
    Weight: 179 pounds
    School: UConn

Analysis: Lamb suffered a high ankle sprain in a workout in Toronto and has struggled to get well enough to resume workouts. Although GMs think he's talented, they have questioned his toughness. His inability to work out has hurt him a bit, too.

However, Lamb went into Phoenix this weekend and toughed out a workout on the bad ankle. A source in Phoenix told me the Suns were impressed with his toughness and willingness to fight through the workout. His performance there could keep him in the lottery. If Lamb is gone, Terrence Ross, Dion Waiters and Austin Rivers are all possibilities here. So is Arnett Moultrie.

14. Houston

Meyers Leonard
    Height: 7-foot-1
    Weight: 250 pounds
    School: Illinois

Analysis: I have serious doubts that the Rockets are actually making this pick. Serious doubts. But if they are, they do need size and Leonard has solid long-term potential.

15. Philadelphia

Perry Jones III
    Weight: 234 pounds
    School: Baylor

Analysis: Jones might be the toughest player in the draft to project right now. Everyone is both scared to take him and scared not to take him. (I've heard the same assessment from a number of NBA GMs the past few weeks.)

Whichever GM first overcomes his fear gets a super-athletic, 6-foot-11 forward who lacks the motor or toughness teams usually look for in a big man. But at some point, the reward outweighs the risk, and that calculation probably starts here. Terrence Ross, Arnett Moultrie, Moe Harkless and Jared Sullinger are other possibilities.

16. Houston (via Knicks)

Moe Harkless
    Weight: 207 pounds
    School: St. John's

Analysis: The Rockets are looking for assets as they try to package players to facilitate a trade. Adding Harkless to their stock of young players might be a smart move. Lots of teams have shown interest in him. He is athletic, has great upside and can defend multiple positions. He's sort of a young Trevor Ariza.

17. Dallas

Terrence Jones
    Weight: 252 pounds

Analysis: Rejoice, Mavs fans. After weeks and weeks of having Kendall Marshall going No. 17 to the Mavs, we have a new name for you. Although I still believe the Mavs really like Marshall, it would be tough to pass on Jones here. His versatility, rebounding and shot-blocking would all be welcome in Big D. The Mavs are another team that has been actively exploring moving up in the draft the past few days.

18. Rockets (from Wolves via Jazz)

Arnett Moultrie
    Weight: 223 pounds
    School: Mississippi State

Analysis: The Wolves have agreed to send the 18th pick in the draft to the Rockets for Chase Budinger. We'll leave Arnett Moultrie here for now because the Rockets do like him. But the plan is clear. The Rockets are trying to package 14, 16 and 18 and Kyle Lowry to get multiple top-10 picks to offer to the Magic for Dwight Howard. I seriously doubt the Rockets will actually be selecting here on draft night.

19. Orlando

Jared Sullinger
    Weight: 268 pounds
    School: Ohio State

Analysis: I'm not sure when the bleeding will end for Sullinger, whose stock is falling now that concerns about his back have every GM in the league a bit skittish. However, sources say the Suns and Sixers are still considering him in the middle of the first round.

The Magic also could use a real low-post scorer. Sullinger is the top talent left on the board and a player who could come in and contribute immediately.

20. Denver

Kendall Marshall
    Height: 6-foot-4
    Weight: 198 pounds

Analysis: Andre Miller's contract is up with the Nuggets this summer, and, in most every way, Marshall is the perfect replacement. They have similar builds and games. Although Ty Lawson is the clear starter in Denver, the Nuggets could really use depth at the position. Royce White and Andrew Nicholson are options here, as well.

21. Boston

Royce White
    Weight: 261 pounds
    School: Iowa State

Analysis: White pulled out of all his remaining workouts on Thursday and has gone silent. He's not injured, and sources say he's received a coveted first-round promise from a team. Promises are notoriously hard to pin down. Two sources are pointing in the direction of the Celtics, but a Celtics source adamantly denies they are the source of the promise.

Either way, I think White is a good fit in Boston. As long as coach Doc Rivers can buy into what White is (a ballhandling power forward) and figure out how to play him, he could be a steal at this point in the draft.

22. Boston (via Clippers)

Andrew Nicholson
    Weight: 234 pounds
    School: St. Bonaventure

Analysis: Nicholson is another draft sleeper who might really rise with workouts. He's a big stretch 4 who has drawn some comparisons to David West. He would be another welcome addition to the Celtics' summer makeover.

23. Atlanta

Tony Wroten Jr.
    Height: 6-foot-6
    Weight: 203 pounds
    School: Washington

Analysis: The Hawks don't have any depth behind point guard Jeff Teague. Sources say that, in the past few weeks, they've become enamored with Wroten. His shot is broken and he can be wild, but he has enormous upside as a big point guard who can see the floor and get to the rim.

24. Cavs (via Lakers)

Fab Melo
    Height: 7-foot
    Weight: 255 pounds
    School: Syracuse

Analysis: If the Cavs go small with their first pick, Melo could be a nice get with No. 24. He's big and athletic, and he could end up being a terrific shot-blocker. The fact that they have fellow Brazilian Anderson Varejao to mentor him is a bonus.

25. Memphis

Marquis Teague
    Height: 6-foot-2
    Weight: 180 pounds

Analysis: The Grizzlies lack great depth at point guard behind Mike Conley (unless you're the guy who somehow voted Josh Selby to the all-rookie third team). Teague, had he stayed in school another year, would've been a likely top-10 pick in 2013. A team such as the Grizzlies can't afford to pass on his talent here.

26. Indiana

Draymond Green
    Weight: 236 pounds
    School: Michigan State

Analysis: The Pacers have a big workout scheduled for Tuesday with Green, Will Barton, Kim English and Jeff Taylor that could decide the No. 26 pick. I'm hearing increasingly that the Pacers are very high on Green. He's a smart, tough player who can come in and fill a need immediately for Indiana. Larry Bird has made similar picks in years past and done OK with them. I don't think Green will slide past here. If he's off the board, Barton could be the guy.

27. Miami

Jeff Taylor
    Weight: 212 pounds
    School: Vanderbilt

Analysis: The Heat could use Taylor's elite athletic ability, lockdown defense and spot-up shooting. He can't create his own shot, but no one will ask him to in Miami, making this the perfect spot for him to land.

28. Oklahoma City

Evan Fournier
    Weight: 206 pounds

Analysis: Fournier is the type of player the Thunder easily could stash for a year or two in Europe. Or, given the high level he has played at in France, he might be able to come in and get minutes for them right away -- especially if the Thunder decide they can't afford to re-sign James Harden this summer.

29. Chicago

Will Barton
    Height: 6-foot-6
    Weight: 174 pounds
    School: Memphis

Analysis: The Bulls are looking at a number of 2-guard options here, but Barton has separated himself from the pack in the past few weeks. He could go as high as 18 to the Wolves, and I don't think he'll slide past Chicago here.

30. Golden State
    (via Spurs)

Quincy Miller
    Weight: 219 pounds
    School: Baylor

Analysis: There are a lot of concerns about his knee and what position he'll play in the NBA. But his upside is so high that it might be worth taking a gamble this low in the first round. There's very little risk and a lot of potential reward here.

1 person likes this.
  4. jsuspect

jsuspect Member

How about we trade 14, 16 & 18 for Eddie Griffin?

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

HATE FORD's PICKS! Why draft another sf - When we got Parsons and MMo? We already got DMo comin over - and he doesnt have any bulk... We need some MEAT to bang down low! Im of the opinion we will move up for Drummond - or if that cant happen, take Fab at 18...

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider
    If I could have just one wish it would be this: Mock Drafts are banned forever. Working on 10.0 … (I just threw-up a little in my mouth)