1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All AFC roads lead through Oakland

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Mr.Scary, Dec 28, 2002.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the NFC has the better teams this year....Philly, TB, and GB are all better then the Titans and the Raiders.

However, I want the Titans to win it all...so that is what I predict.

DaDakota

2. drapg

drapg Member

I'm rooting for the Titans hard... but I just can't see them getting past that juggernaut in North California. :(

3. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Assuming they end up playing each other, I think the performance of the Titans' pass defense will be the determining factor in the game (along w/ turnovers of course). The Titans' pass defense has looked horrid at times this season, but it has improved by quite a bit lately and the return of Jevon Kearse certainly helps. The Raiders' pass attack is deadly, and it will be a challenge for the Titans D. Go Titans.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I am not going to take anything away from the Raiders. We all know they are good. But the Titans are just as good. One advantage we have is that we own the clock. If the titans play their style of ball the Raiders offense won't even see it. So it's gonna be a good match if we meet. You won't get a 21-0 lead again.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Any secondary with Samari Rolle and Land Schulters is capable of shutting down the house.

6. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

That secondary is pretty good but not what scares me. Last time vs. the Tenn secondary Gannon threw for 381 yards (29/39) and 4TD's. Also the fact that Oakland is home is a big advantage.

What makes Tenn so good right now is McNair's play and he is scary. Tennessee will have to be reckoned with. Hopefully both teams keep winning and meet up in what looks like a great game.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I didn't see the first Oakland game where you whipped us. So I don't know how you attacked the scheme.

But The Tennessee scheme is interesting against good passing teams like Oakland. The superbowl was a prime example. Warner lit us up. But never scored. The Defense, I believe, is designed to force the qb into quick decisions. Something Gannon has proven good at. But where the titans thrive is that we send so many people at the qb you can't run the ball. Every lane is filled. You've got to make the right pass under severe duress (kevin Carter and JEvon Kearse). If Rice and Gannon are in sync you will move the ball down the field. That's great. However, the problem is that all you have to do is miss one pass somewhere on the drive and suddenly Tennessee can drop back into dime and shut you down on 2nd and 10 and 3rd and 10. That may not occur until you are inside our thirty. But we don't care. We think it will happen somewhere on the drive. If you are lucky enuff to avoid those long downs you can effectively score against us. But most qb's can't handle that pressure. They always make a mistake and force themselves into long downs with an errant throws, interceptions, or sacks. The good news for the Raiders is that Gannon has proven for three years that he's very mature under duress.

The beauty of this defense is that most of your routes will need to be 10 yards because you won't have time to think downfield. Thus shortening the field we need to defend. Oakland can either think deep strike and risk staying in the pocket too long. Or they can be patient and take the 8 yard routes and slants.

You might wonder how our defense can blitz and cover for 60 minutes? It takes al ot of energy to do that. Well, our offense is designed to keep them off the field. This may have been the one reason Buddy Ryan hated the run and shoot. His defense needed it's rest to be effective.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If the Raiders score first, they never lose. In the Titans Game, The Raiders jumped out to a 21-0 lead by a turnover and 2 punt returns back to back for scores. When the game settled down. The Score at one point was actually 31-25. Then the Raiders woke up and tacked on 3 TD's to make it 52-25.

The Titans offense does not impress me, the Titans Defense does not impress me. Eddie George cannot run against us like he did the first two times he met the Raiders. The Raiders Defensive Line is way too versitile. Plus the Raiders can eat up clock if they need too, Ty Wheatley has been running well for the last month and a half.

These are two very hot teams, the Jets are too, so maybe a Titans-Raiders matchup isn't imminent. Its going to be exciting.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

The Raiders will get either Cleveland, Indy, or the Jets. Of those three Cleveland is the best bet to get creamed.

Raiders 31 Cleveland 10
    Cleveland is lucky. Which is one thing you need in the playoffs. But what else do they have going for them. They are far below standard when compared to the Raiders. No way to attack Raiders weakeness downfield.

Raiders 31 Jets 24
    Jets one advantage is that they can can take the Raiders deep. Could be a problem. But I doubt Pennington will be ready to do that. Playoffs are a big step for the kid. The Jets will offer little resistance to the Raiders passing attack. the loss of two very good db's to houston may hurt them.

Raiders 21 Indy 7
    Indy isn't the same team on grass. The Offense seems slower. Homefield could really pay off. Harrison is a deep threat, but if you double him up, who cares. The rest of the Indy team will be half as fast.

Raiders are definately moving on.

Pittsburgh is probably the most dangerous matchup in the AFC. They have a Defense, a volatile passing attack, and a big truck to run the ball. If they get hot they could blow out anyone. But they struggle so much to win they could easily get upset early.

10. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Go Browns!!

I agree, thats why I am rooting for the Clowns this weekend though its doubtful they will win. I think Oakland would just manhandle them. Even though I live in Ohio I recognize the fact that the Browns are the worst team still in the playoffs.

Yeah, what happened to Eddie? He used to be a monster a few years back. I figure injuries have really held him down. I met him when he was at Ohio State and he is a very cool down to earth guy. I wish him well (just not vs. Oak).

11. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Correct Spelling: Versatile

12. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

My bad, wrong thread.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What's sad is what passes for a 'great' team today in the NFL. The Titans and Raiders are both mediocre teams, yet they are some of the best the league has to offer. The quality in the league has got to be at an all-time low right now. The way the league is now just isn't fun to me.

14. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

i think that the league is pretty good actually. there were a ton of winning teams this year, more than usual. a lot of them didn't make the playoffs. i like this more than if there was one team that just dominated everybody.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Ironically he trained with Jerry Rice and his trainer this past offseason. He's not the same runner in terms of hitting the holes, but he doesn't have munchak and mathews anymore either. Both Hall of Famers. He did gain a cool 1,000 yards again and there's no other back I'd rather have when you need an extra inch. I'd still take him over any other back right now. He's got lots of heart and that can take you a long way.

Charlie Garner looked great. You can't say enough about how he played last week.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

of note. The Raiders had the toughest schedule of all playoff teams. If that really means anything. All the good teams had the easiest schedules except for the Raiders.

21. Cleveland Browns .486 123-130-3
    22. New York Jets .500 128-128-0
    23. Atlanta Falcons .494 126-129-1
    24. Indianapolis Colts .479 122-133-1
    25. New York Giants .482 123-132-1
    26. San Francisco 49ers .504 129-127-0
    27. Pittsburgh Steelers .486 124-131-1
    28. Tennessee Titans .479 122-133-1
    29. Oakland Raiders .529 135-120-1
    30. Green Bay Packers .451 115-140-1
    31. Philadelphia Eagles .469 120-136-0
    32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers .482 122-131-3