1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When you get more people who want handouts..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JD88, Jun 2, 2012.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Remove social security, medicare, medicaid, unemployment benefits, and food stamps, all those people who are unemployed does not want to find jobs, all they want is to sit on their ass, yes that's how it works.:rolleyes:

Next I say we should put all homeless in concentration camps for forced labor, yes that would solve our problems. :rolleyes:

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I have a unique perspective on this (I think…) Having worked several years in public administration, the quote on quote ‘Unemployment Office’ to be exact. (FYI, there is no such thing as an Unemployment Office in Texas) And growing up in a community that straddled the poverty line.

Yeah, sure there are TONS of leeches in the welfare system. However, there are many more examples of needs being met and lives being saved. The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people out there hurting, and though the system may be flawed, casting a broad blanket and labeling those in need as ‘lazy’ is just ignorant.

What about the young single mother who IS working full-time. AND going to school trying to provide a better life for her kids and correct her mistakes. Or the NASA engineer who worked for 20 years at the same employer and has been displaced. Too old to start over, too much tenure and ‘over-experienced’ to find similar employment. Those are real life examples that I’ve seen with my own eyes 10x over.

Every system has loop holes and leeches, hell just look at the American tax code, subsidies, Super PACs… It’s a shame that the ones that get pointed out, dehumanized, and labeled are the same ones that have no voice and are the weakest.

There are millions upon millions of people in this country who couldn’t give a damn about national unemployment and a deficit. They’re too busy dealing with chronic domestic unemployment and debt, and have been doing so far before ‘The Great Recession.’

Funny how now, they’re the problem.

2 people like this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have many more examples than the OP who knows about his friend and bases everything off that one example.

The OP doesn't even realize that he's getting Unemployment which is something he's already paid for.

In the end it's just easier for the OP to complain and point fingers than do any real research and make his assumptions based on what seems to be pure misinformation.

4. Nook

Nook Member

What does Hilltop look like in person?

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I mean wasn't the great depression great for the economy? The workforce didn't get taken advantage of at all :rolleyes:

6. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Damn shame, Sweet, that you feel entitled to a handout. Damn shame for ANYBODY to feel entitled to a handout.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Is it a handout when you paid for it?

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what unemployment is among some people here.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Do you also feel people should be ashamed to send their kids to public school? Or get medicare? Or get to call 911 in case of emergency?

10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Would it be more effective to have programs similar to Hoover, FDR, and Eisenhower? Our infrastructure is suffering, remember just 2-3 years ago there was a statistic about the bridges in America. Something like 60% of the bridges in this country are in poor structural state with no timetable on when they'll be repaired.

Why not spend more money employing people to work on projects that help the country, that help their own communities.

Who said $400/wk is not enough to live on? I live off of $500 a month. Do they really get $1600/mo? Or did you mean $400/mo?

There can be programs that give people "assistance" and then programs that give people jobs. They may be temporary, but so is "assistance" there are plenty of people who collect unemployment who would be willing to work in construction if there were available projects in their area.

Does anyone else think this should be an idea our legislators work with? I am quite positive there are already similar projects paid for by our tax dollars, but why not employee our fellow unemployed citizens rather than giving the contract to the lowest contract, which it seems often ends up in corruption and governmental favoritism.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Is it a handout when people put money in a piggy bank, and then later use the money from the piggy bank that they put into it?

Unemployment money is taken out of a person's paycheck every payday. That money is then used should they ever need to collect unemployment. It's money they themselves put toward their own unemployment insurance while they were working. It's not like it's money someone else is giving them. It's money they put towards the unemployment insurance while they were working.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not exactly, companies actually pay state and federal taxes to fund unemployment insurance. One could probably make some argument about how it comes indirectly from employee's pay, ie lower salaries. But, by no means has anyone ever directly 'paid' for thier own or anyone else's UI benefits.

One exception being tax payer funded extended and emergency benefits. But, there's no need to delve into the specifics of HR policies and employment law. ;)

13. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I will have to go back and look at a paycheck stub, but I do not think unemployment insurance is paid by employees. I believe it is a tax on employers.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You don't pay it directly, but that is part of the cost of hiring someone. Think of it as a 401K contribution by employer.

15. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Yeah, but you live with your parents and can't afford to pay your tipjar bet.

Minimum wage is barely enough to live on if you're on your own (and you don't own a car, and you never get sick, and your rent doesn't get raised), and impossible to live on if you have a family.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Right, but if that's part of the employer's cost for you, it's money that is put away on your behalf, if not directly by you, it is in essence indirectly by you.

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

I can agree with some of your points.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I suppose you think that America was stronger wrt to the rest of the world in the 1800's than in the twentieth century?

who do we blame for this type of extreme challenge wrt to historical facts?

Fox News? Faulty upbringing?

Who knows, but it is a testament to the power of progaganda and endless repeating of sound bites.

Of course it does show how the libertarian/conservative coalition longs for their imagined good times of the 1800's. Ah the pleasures of child labor to teach a work ethic and the laziness engendered by the modern weekend.

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I don't live with my parents lol. I wouldn't be posting on here if I lived with my parents because I would have shot myself in the face a long time ago.

I realize $19,200 is not enough for you to do much, but it is enough for rent, food, gas, taxes, and necessities.
    Rent at $600 and $50/wk for food still leaves you with like 9 grand.

And that didn't answer my question. Do you think it would be more beneficial if the state had programs that 1) created jobs via projects (both physical and administrative work required) 2) or had agencies that were more suited to find jobs than 3rd party employment agencies?

You may not have to switch everything to this, but you could make an option for those who want more $$ and a job, or those who don't want money just the job, or those who want $$ while THEY search for a job. As a conservative, I don't believe it is the government's role to create jobs, but rather to ensure that the environment is ripe for jobs to be created. However, I make an exception mainly because of infrastructure which desperately needs repairs.

20. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

So any cost of hiring makes it the employee's money? A 401k contribution by your employer is voluntary. Unemployment tax isn't.