1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kicker becomes first woman to play Division I football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by moestavern19, Dec 26, 2002.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Katie Hnida became the first woman to play in a Division I-A football game when she attempted an extra point Wednesday following a New Mexico touchdown in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Hnida, a walk-on junior, had her kick blocked but by then she had already made history. With her blonde hair in a ponytail, Hnida kicked the ball low allowing a UCLA player to block it.

The 5-foot-9, 150-pound Hnida was on Colorado's roster in 1999 and suited up for the Buffaloes in the Insight.com Bowl. She joined New Mexico's team before this season.

Hnida got her big chance in New Mexico's biggest game of the season.

``I can replay in my mind seeing that hand block the kick, and that's going to be what I think about before I go to bed tonight,'' she said. ``It's been a very long road to get here and I thought about it many times, but I really had no specific expectations as to what it would be like.''

New Mexico coach Rocky Long said Hnida earned the opportunity.

``Katie is a valuable member of our team,'' Long said. ``I think it's a very unusual situation and she's put in a position a lot of times that's very uncomfortable. I made the decision before the game that we were going to let her kick the first extra point.''

Long said Hnida's presence has made for some interesting arrangements in the locker room.

``She has to dress different places, she has to join the team after everyone else is dressed,'' Long said. ``She has handled it better than I could have imagined.''

Heather Sue Mercer earned a spot on the Duke roster as a walk-on in 1995 but was cut from the team by then-coach Fred Goldsmith before the 1996 season.

Mercer, who graduated in 1998, claimed she was dropped from the team because she is a woman, and said Goldsmith wouldn't let her suit up for games or practice on a scrimmage team against Duke's first-string players.

She won a $2 million sex-discrimination lawsuit, but lost the money on appeal two years later.

Stephanie Weimer tried out for Penn State this summer, but didn't make the team. Louisville and Colorado also have had women kickers on their rosters.

In 1997, Liz Heaston became the first woman to score in a college game, kicking two extra points for Willamette, which was then an NAIA school. Last year, Jacksonville State's Ashley Martin became the first woman in Division I-AA to score, kicking four extra points.

Hnida's try came after teammate Desmar Black returned an interception 55 yards for a touchdown that gave New Mexico a 6-3 lead.

I laughed when they showed the highlight of this. The first chance a woman gets to play ball, and the kick is blocked, thats just ironic.

"Thats One small kick for woman... One Giant laugh for mankind"

2. Nomar

Nomar Member

Haha, stupid.

She should go back to the kitchen where she belongs.

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Either you are a really stupid, narrow minded bigot or a really bad comedian. Either way, you make the ignore list for this one.

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I imagine some of those women have left the kitchen and are kickin' your ass in class.

Oh, that's right, you have no class.

5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I coudln't tell with all the pads on but she looked kinda hot. Anyone got some pictures?

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

"You're like school in July.

No class."

- That would have been better. Don't fret, there's always next time.

7. Timing

Timing Member

Kickers aren't football players, who cares? When she's lining up at linebacker then let us know. ;)

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yup, Fat Albert lines are tough ones to come back from....

9. t4651965

t4651965 Member

Either you are a really stupid, narrow minded bigot or a really bad comedian. Either way, you make the ignore list for this one.

oh, the irony.....

10. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Can anyone find a pic of her. On ESPN, she looked to be pretty cute, but the facemask was blocking it. Thanks in advance.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

It's a line from a Pink Floyd song, a song that describes the hardships created by bad teachers that some school children must endure. I'm sure this girl in question has had to endure the same type of prejudice that Nomar is spewing.

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat yer meat?

13. Nomar

Nomar Member

Are you serious?

Take a chill pill... or like three hundred of them.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No Necessary Roughness quotes yet? Come ON, guys...it fits perfectly.

Football player: "Welcome to football, honey."
    Kathy Ireland: "Welcome to foot, balls."
    *BAM*

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Nomar, I have never hated anyone on this board as much as you.

there I said it.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I thought it was kinda funny and I don't think you're a bad comedian.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

All of you bashing Nomar need to chill a bit. Why in the world would you take that comment so seriously? Just relax, it was obviously meant as some sort of a joke. Even if you didnt think it was funny, there is no need to flip out over it.

18. t4651965

t4651965 Member

Yes, I listened to The Wall 5,000 times.

I can't believe anybody took Nomar's post seriously anyway. Everybody knows that college girls don't belong in the kitchen. Women don't learn to cook until their first marital crisis.

19. Nomar

Nomar Member

Seriously?

Dude, its like a gang war. Everybody who hates me versus everybody who doesn't.

Methinks those who hates me have the numbers advantage.

Oh well. At least I'm cooler than Manny Ramirez.

20. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

People who disagree with a stupid comment(s) you make, whether meant in jest or not, do not necessarily hate you.

Not that I think you really care anyway, based on the nature of many of your posts. You usually run under the radar because they're often pretty ridiculous...FWIW.