1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

15 Years Ago Today: Eddie Johnson's Buzzer Beater in 1997 Western Conference Finals

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 25, 2012.

1. blunto

blunto Member

Definitely remember this game, shot. Daytime game, pretty sure a Sunday. Remember being literally on the edge of my seat, then, just like others here, jumping around the living room of my parents' house (11 years old at the time) in my away Drexler jersey.

At that time, it felt only natural for the Rockets to pull off the clutch win. That's just what they did.

2. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I remember screaming like a maniac and running around the apartment all crazy then hearing running outside the apartment and my friends come through the door and were like WHOA!!!! and then we went to play ball at the court lol this was in alabama.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This memory is bittersweet to me because I can't really fathom that series without thinking of the Malone-tackle-assisted Stockton jumper to close that series in game 6 (along with a fairly poor performance down the stretch by the rockets in that game)

4. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

I went full r****d after this shot went in. Ran around like a fool.

5. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I was a young marine stationed in Arizona. It was my day off, and back then 40oz beers were still in. I'd just finished off my 2nd. I staggered around shouting and beating my chest. They were saying "Aww hell! Here comes that loud mouth guy from Texas again"

6. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

I was 7 at the time, but I lived in Chicago and was watching the bulls lol. But definitely an amazing shot.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow, been a long time sense we had a team that good.

DD

8. Rockets Ball

Rockets Ball Member

I remember that day cleary....shouting WE WON!!!
    I miss that feeling.:(

9. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

That was the best game I ever attended. I remember the Summit going dead silent for what felt like an eternity when that shot went up, and then absolute pandemonium when it was good. I got hugged by complete strangers.

I got to take my Dad to that game, which was pretty cool too.

Deckard likes this.
  10. MManal

MManal Member

Oh man, I still remember how crazy the Summit was after that shot was made. I was lucky enough to be at that game and went absolutely nuts. Cant believe 15 years have gone by so fast, a few days after that game, I was at freshman summer orientation at UT.

1 person likes this.
  11. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Cant believe this was 15 years ago. I actually got fired from Humble City Cafe in Humble due to watching this game. I was working a double shift and after my first shift I went upstairs to watch the game. The restaurant got busy so our brand new manager asked/told me to go downstairs and help. Only problem was that my shift didn't start for almost a hour. I said no and he got pissed. When the game was over and I came down crazy happy he immediately started giving me ****, still pissed over telling him no. Well me being not a very mature 19 year old I just decided to work at half speed and piss him off more. Long story short, the next time I came in the owner fired me for insubordination. It all worked out for me, I got a job at Chillis and made way more money. So this game got me fired, but Im so glad I said no to working early and got to witness this awesome moment in Clutch City history!

Deckard likes this.
  12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I really miss the NBA on NBC.

And the Rockets being relevant. :(

13. Third eye

Third eye Member

that year in general was just amazing. To see the sonics series then almost beat Utah despite a bear hug and big time three that cost us a shot at the ring that year. Chuck was a beast never since have we seen someone dominate the glass as he did. He also played one heellllaa nice iso back down ball. Chuck started that season I believe with a 33 rebound game against Phx. This play seems to be the most thrilling of that year, man thanks for the memory, how time flies....

14. Third eye

Third eye Member

Check out "compaq" man it's bumpinn

15. alaskansnowman

Definitely remember the shot and the game. Have watched this replay a few times in the last few years and it never gets old. I love the emotion in the stadium after he sinks the shot and EJ's reaction and just everything about that sequence is PERFECT.

Deckard likes this.
  16. ThaShark316_28

Ran out the house after that shot. Went berserk.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I remember getting Kevin Willis and I was wondering "why?" and thought he was done the previous season, but he brought so much to our game. I miss ol' T-Rex arms and his awesome strong dunks that reminded me of Thorpe's thunder jams. :cool:

I was watching this with my brothers at home. Great memories.
    You're state meant dozen make since. :p

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

coming off of that timeout you could tell EJ wanted that opportunity...

And it's hilarious to see Willis nearly take out Email and Price on the bench.:grin:

19. Rockfan

Rockfan Contributing Member

At 52 seconds or so you can see they were flashing "CLUTCH CITY" in the arena...

Wow, the Clutch City era was so long ago...Still so much cooler than rooting for a team called "Lob City" :p

20. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Been reading on this forum for awhile now and it is this thread that got me to register.

I was visiting family in Toronto that weekend. I was 14 and had been a Rocket fan since Drexler was traded to Houston. Before then my 1st favorite team was Portland and my favorite player was Drexler because of a basketball card my aunt got me for like my 6th or 7th birthday. Once I started rooting for the Rockets it didn't take long for Olajuwon to replace Drexler as my favorite player.

So I was in my cousins basement watching the game with them. I'm like 5 feet away from the tv hoping for the impossible when EJ hits a deep three to tie the series up. I instantly get up and run around the basement screaming. This series is always bittersweet to remember as most have pointed out because of the ending. It is also the last time I cried as a result of the outcome of a game.

1 person likes this.