1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

States should not be allowed to vote on gay marriage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Feb 17, 2012.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a travesty that states are allowed to decide these civil rights issues.

If it was the 60's southern states would have never voted to pass civil rights legislation that changed our nation for the better.

When it comes to civil rights issues like these, states should not be allowed to choose to discriminate.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

You'd like to think congress would have enough sense to go ahead and legalize same sex marriage through legislation, but the bible has too much impact on a nation that was founded on religious freedom.

1 person likes this.
  3. uolj

uolj Member

I was hoping a Supreme Court ruling on prop 8 would solve that problem but it looks like with the latest decision that probably won't happen.

But really, this isn't the same as the southern states in the 60s. Then, states with major civil rights problems were the minority, and pressure from the other states led to federal legislation. The gay marriage/gay rights movement hasn't reached that point yet. If things keep going the way they're going, they will. More and more states will allow gay marriage, and eventually the ones that don't will be the minority. Soon after that the pressure will be strong on the federal government to do something for the whole country.

Unless the Supreme Court does something first.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's a wasted issue politicians use to get $$. But the fact is no studies have ever shown a child is more likely to be homosexual if his/her parents are. If our leaders can pass any legislation to get one more child into a loving home where they will have a better life you do it. A child without love is a child without a life.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Ron Paul wants the states to be allowed to vote on contraception. I'm not sure on whether to return to separate water fountains for blacks and whites.

6. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

most gay kids have heterosexual parents...

1 person likes this.
  7. Hightop

Hightop Member

States should not even have marriage licensing. It is just stupid as dating or cohabitation licensing. Fight the real power.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That's a fair point. But at the same time it might have been preferable if the Civil Rights Act of 64 was really the Civil Rights Act of 48, or 31, or some earlier time.

9. uolj

uolj Member

Of course it would. It's just that sometimes it takes societies time to realize the error of their ways. That sucks, especially for the people directly affected, and it doesn't mean we can't work to make it go faster, but it's hard to change so many people's minds overnight, and you still need to change people's minds before you can protect the rights of people who've long had their rights infringed upon.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

true enough. I'm still of the opinion legislation on something like this can speed up that change. If gay marriage was legalized through federal legislation, it wouldn't be long before people would see their own marriage didn't become any less valid or meet gay couples who care about the same issues they do. I think that would help dispel the ignorance faster.

But I understand and agree with you about it taking a long time, unfortunately.

11. uolj

uolj Member

Of course. And I agree with you on the federal legislation. But the people voting on the legislation need to have their minds changed, too, and often that's based almost completely on the minds of their constituents.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't think courts should be precluded from ruling on legislation one way or another, and I believe the chief executive of a jurisdiction should adhere to that ruling (but should not be precluded from concurrently filing appeals or amicus briefs); but I have absolutely no problem with federal or state legislatures or state electorates initially voting on the issue.

You can't leap frog or disregard the will of the citizens because you anticipate an outcome you don't agree with; I think it just sets a dreadful precedent that would clog the judiciary. The system is more important than any group or ideology: laws, not men.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't agree. The legislature should follow the constitution when writing laws.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am inclined to agree because I don't think things like this can just be forced on states. I think that homosexuals shouldn't be denied rights and civil unions (or some other institution) as long as they provide all of the same protections as marriage is as far as courts should go while leaving the terminology of "marriage" up to the states to decide.

At the same time I believe under the full faith and credit clause of the constitution that states choosing not to have homosexual marriages should still have to recognize such marriages that took place in a state that does recognize homosexual marriage.

I think we need to be careful about balancing civil rights with democratic federalism. In my opinion a civil union that provides all of the rights is a reasonable compromise and personally I think all government recognized marriages should instead be called "civil unions."

Ideally I would like to see government out of the marriage business and leave it to contract law but that is very unlikely to happen.

15. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Indeed. Congress should pass legislation barring states from discriminating against gays in granting marriage licenses. Marriage is typically a religious ceremony and the state shouldn't have any moral say in thbe matter. The only purpose of the license should be for state matters like taxation. Theses guys should demonstrate some common sense for once...

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't know. Legal marriages are governed by the states. Marriage is hardly the civil rights issue that was Brown vs. BOE (and what blacks were going trough all the way through the 1970s at the least). I suppose the denial of benefits is harmful to them though.

I still wonder why anybody cares about gay marriage. How does it harm anyone? It will be a good day when Republicans no longer see this as a political issue.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It isn't the same as not being allowed to vote or enter equal schools. I agree. But it is a right that is allowed one group of Americans and denied another group based on nothing but who they are.

Tax deductions, hospital visitation, and a host of other issues are connected with it.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Well, 2 straight guys can't get married, and a gay man is welcome to marry a woman.

Not disagreeing with you, just giving the best reasoning I can come up with as to why it isn't seen as unequal by the law.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That's true, but one group is allowed to marry the consenting adult they love, and the other group isn't.

I've seen the argument before, but it just doesn't fly.

20. Hightop

Hightop Member

Even more reasons to end licensing.