1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

State Agent Inspects Sack Lunches, Forces Preschoolers to Buy Cafeteria Food

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, Feb 14, 2012.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If she can open it.

2. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

State govt overstepped with the whole sack lunch inspection. WTF were they thinking.

3. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Has anyone been able to find any reputable link on this story? I've been browsing for a while now(on iPhone so no guarantee I'm just not missing some) and I haven't been able to find anything but crazy train websites piggybacking off the original "story" from the Carolina Journal. The Carolina Journal is just the publishing arm of the John Locke Foundation. The John Locke Foundation is just an ultra-right wing "think tank" so I'm pretty reluctant to believe that this story is not just a half truth dressed up for nut jobs to salivate over.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone can provide some honest journalism to back this up.

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Isn't North Carolina a Red State?

I'm failing to see the liberal conspiracy.

Assuming the story is true, it sounds like one lady got a little overzealous. If this story were repeated dozens of times in different schools then I'd be concerned.

Yawn. Going back to sleep.

5. uolj

uolj Member

Ha ha... David Frum tweeted this link today:

http://ordinary-gentlemen.com/blog/2012/02/15/a-north-carolina-non-troversy/

My first thought was... I bet this is all over the politics forums. I wonder how many people jumped to the conclusion that it was true. Amusing but not surprising that this thread was here.

Shouldn't it be obvious by now that these stories are almost always fake, exaggerations or both?

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it is obvious to most of us that these stories are always fake or at least exaggerated. But there are a few lost sheep out there who don't seem to understand that, so they post fake store after fake story. Hopefully hightop and toycen will soon get a better idea of what a real story is and what a fake one is.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I disagree. Those posting these stories know full well they are fake, the target of the stories are those who do not realize it and are susceptible to the message.

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

The bit about replacing a turkey sandwich with chicken nuggets never made any sense. Frum doesn't seem to have any more info than the rest of us, but he expresses his doubts much more articulately.

But did get a Mr Hand reference out of this...so props to CrazyDave for keeping this discussion from being totally bogus.

9. uolj

uolj Member

I have had this discussion on here too many times already. But I really think they believe these stories are real.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most of the time when they are corrected they rationalize an explanation that allows them to avoid the realization that they can so easily fall for something that supports their worldview.

10. Rashmon

You're probably correct in regards to the posters here.

Sadly, highcrop is just a victim.

I do believe, however, that the originators of these stories know full well that these stories are propoganda.

11. uolj

uolj Member

:)

Sorry, I don't believe that either. At least for the most part. I'm sure some, or even many, know the stories are probably exaggerated, but I think there's a lot of cognitive dissonance that allows people to latch on to these stories as truth. It's not just conservatives, either, although it's obviously more prevalent with them these days, and it's not just politics.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hightop, my son went to a public middle school where they demanded that the boys wear collared shirts. I bet that would be a major issue for Ron Paulites. Don't you agree?

13. Hightop

Hightop Member

I have an issue with government schools. They need to be abolished.

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

no dark sarcasm in the classroom?

15. uolj

uolj Member

Hey there.

Did you get a chance to read the article I posted? Does that make you reconsider your initial reaction to the article you posted in the OP?

16. Rashmon

Your alternative?

17. Hightop

Hightop Member

Not really. The lunch provided by the parent was still meddled with despite objections. The needs to be a complete end to all of this.

18. uolj

uolj Member

But this school was optional, the parent chose to put her child there. Also, it sounds like it was just a misunderstanding, which happens with 4-year-olds. And the mother's objections could very well have been based on a misunderstanding of whether she'd have to pay or not. So... separate from your general objections about public schools, is there really anything to complain about here? Does this other version of the story at least change your stance on how "USDA requirements" were involved here?

19. Hightop

Hightop Member

I just don't like any of it, sorry. The less control the better. **** them all.

20. Rashmon

Your alternative?