1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republicans criticize tax on millionaires idea

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Sep 18, 2011.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

correct which is why there are other ways listed, and the door left open to close loop holes and lower the corporate rates as long as the end number ends up being the same.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I am hoping we head that way. I would actually prefer a consumption tax like the VAT tax in Europe, but I doubt that will happen

3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes, nobody knows what it will look like in the end. But Obama has said he will not place the burden on the middle and lower tax brackets anymore.

Here's a video where they talk about the lowering the corporate tax rate and cutting out loopholes.

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc4bce81" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=44576594&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc4bce81" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=44576594&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

4. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

lol @ 'jello puddin pops' as a tag :grin:

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Most Millionaires pay a higher earned income tax bracket to begin with but if raising that a bit helps the country, by all means do it.
    My issue is investment tax that Obama will like to increase as part of the whole package when computing how millionaires may pay lower total taxes... Not all rich get mega income from investment like Buffet. Many retirees work all their lives and use CD's or other investments to creat capital gain to fund a retirement - you and I probably do as well thru certain divisions in 401k or what not- what little is there has to provide for 20 years - and these are the people that shouldn't get the short end of the stick.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But if you are clearing a $1 million dollars off of CD's and your 401K, why should you only pay 15% when a working senior pays 30%? I just don't see how this is giving them the short end of the stick.

Honestly, I think this whole thing is more politics than anything else, Obama is (smartly) picking this as a populist tax hike that makes it hard for Republicans to vote against.

7. deepblue

deepblue Member

Tax on millionaires makes a good talking point, but it does very little to actually reduce the deficit. This is all about getting re-elected.

But by all means, raise Buffet's tax rate to 50%.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I agree. What will reduce the deficit is to fire teachers and make sure to tax those living in poverty.

It actually helps the US economy to continue subsidizing big corporations with billions of dollars to ensure their stockholders make money. Because we all know when the Stock market goes up, our deficit goes down.

9. deepblue

deepblue Member

Like I said, its a good talking point. :rolleyes:

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure, it's a good talking point, it's also good policy and has sound rationale underlying it.

Your retort is more of a true talking point - any measure, taken in isolation, be it spending cut of NPR or firing a few cops or teachers, or whatever, will have little overall impact on the deficit.

This is known and accepted - so you bringing it up doesn't really seem to advance any purpose or your case against it. It just kind of makes you seem out of ideas, so you cite this truism in order to distract, though I see you've got some rolleyes going now too.

Most serious observers tend to agree that, if deficit reduction is a priority (and make no mistake, it really should not be in the short term), taxes in some form are going to have to go up.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Adjusting the tax rate is one of the steps needed to reduce the deficit spending.

What is silly is to isolate one of the needed steps and to act like since that one step alone doesn't fix the problem we shouldn't do that step.

12. deepblue

deepblue Member

Raising tax rate on Buffet is something I do agree with, but to use it as one of the main talking points on deficit reduction is misleading. Its great for firing up Obama's support base, but do the average people know its going to take a lot more than raising tax on the millionaires to actually make any significant progress on deficit.

Look, Obama is a smart guy, he knows to really reduce the deficit, spending will have to be cut and effective tax rates have to go up, and not just for millionaires. But that's not what he is talking about these days, its much easier to jump on the Buffet example and the 200k households makes more than 1m. That's why I said its about getting re-elected.

http://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-rich-taxed-less-secretaries-070642868.html

Oh and repubs use de-funding NPR as a talking point for spending cuts is also pretty silly.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Reforming the tax code, and increasing revenues is an important part of deficit reduction. It won't fix it by itself, but both spending cuts and tax reform which increases revenue is what is needed to fix the deficit.

14. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

The rich pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes than the average man does. So the answer is to make them pay even more?

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, they don't, this is a lie.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/tax/article1996735.ece

If you include non-federal taxes, which are the majority of the taxes that the middle and lower classes pay, the effective tax rate on the ultra-rich is far lower than the rate paid by your average policeman or firefighter.

The gap is a lot narrower for high income earners (as opposed to the ultra-rich whose taxes are mostly in the form of LTCG and dividend taxes) compared to the middle and lower classes, but every single tax in this country save the income tax is regressive. I know the only way to make your point is to focus entirely on income taxes or federal taxes, but when you look at the whole picture, your point becomes as dull as a butter knife.

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Yes. Because of this:

[​IMG]

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wish the President had taken this stance when the Bush Tax Cuts were about to expire. It was a missed opportunity and he's been counter-punching the Republicans ever since.

18. Classic

Classic Member

Sure would have been easy to extend tax cuts on everyone and returning to pre bush on those making 250k+ with a new braket for those making 1mil +. Many here were advocating it.

19. Classic

Classic Member

I say 'easy' but obviously nothing is in politics.

20. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

come on now, don't be stupid

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/09/fact-check-the-richtheir-secretaries-and-taxes/