1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Kidd dunk??

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Charlie03, Oct 19, 2002.

1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Gary Payton is another guy who prefers to lay it in. I've never seen the guy dunk.

Now that someone brought up John Stockton, I'm really wondering if he can dunk.

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I remember reading in Street and Smith's that Kidd broke a backboard on a dunk in high school. Assuming they weren't LYING, I'd say yeah, he can dunk.

3. Asian Sensation

I too would like to know if John Stockton can dunk..........

4. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

what about Muggsy Bogues?!"

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I have seen Miller dunk several times, and easily at that.

Neve thought about Stokton though, good call. I have never seen him get close.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I've seen Iverson dunk. The only thing out of the ordinary is that he's small. I think his dunks are pretty plain and soft. I've never seen him reverse dunk it or anything.

7. JamesC

JamesC Member

I saw Damon Stoudamire put down a two-handed dunk in a charity game a few years ago. They showed it on "Inside Stuff."
    I've also seen Payton dunk. It was against the Bulls in the NBA Finals.

8. IVFL

IVFL Member

John Stockton can dunk, he just does not do it. The guy has like a 40+ inch vert, the problem is he is old school, and keeps his game on the floor, he does not really go air bound all that much. That could be why he has had so few injuries. I once saw him dunk on Dennis Rodman of all people. it looked like he was going up for a lay up and he threw it down on Rodman. To say the least I was suprised, this happend the year after Rodman tried taking stockton's knee out. Really fired him up, he was not used to someone else was playing durty.

I know how much people hate the jazz here, but stockton usually wont dunk because he is looking to set people up, on the break he is looking to pass not dunk on some guy. Stockton is an amazing athlete, I live in Gonzaga country and hear storys about his college days all the time. Pinning peoples shots to the backboard, dunking on people, stuff like that. Now Jeff Hornachek or whatever his last name is, can not dunk. he can hardly get 4 inches off the ground on his jump shot.

9. Charlie03

Charlie03 Member

I find this hard to believe.
    40 inch vert????

10. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

The only way this is true is if he means that Stockton goes down 40" on his flops. :D

11. tozai

tozai Member

Well, then you haven't seen much of Iverson from the earlier years. He had and still does have a 40+ vertical. He can reverse, dunk in rebounds like Steve does sometimes, AND he has crammed a few in people's faces. Go watch some of his Georgetown games if you want to see what I mean.

12. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't find it hard to believe that at one point he had a 40 inch vert but probably not anymore although I believe he can still dunk. Muggsy Bogues could never dunk a basketball but he could dunk a volleyball at one point. Don't know if he could do it anymore.

13. IVFL

IVFL Member

I guess I should have put, had a 40 inch vert. I am sure he cant jump that high now. . . I mean its hard getting that high up with a cane in you hand :D

To be in the NBA you have to be a great athlete period, I mean these guys that are scrubs were 2nd and 3rd team all americans in college, they are the best of the best. Trust me stockton can dunk. I am the same height as stockon and I could dunk it. The guy is an amazing athlete, how else could he be playing in the league at 40 years of age, at the hardest postion, pg, with a cane

14. wizard

wizard Member

Yeah Bibby used to dunk it quite a bit back in his high school and college days too. You never seen him do that anymore other then that one rookie and sophmore game. I guess with 82 game seasons and a greater demand on the body compared to college and high school has something to do with it. I think i read it in SLAM mag with a simialr quote to, " why should I dunk it and utilize that energy that i might need later on in game to get by someone. Its still two points"

15. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Kidd had a nice fast break left handed dunk a game or 2 ago.

16. Mr. Slim Citrus

Mr. Slim Citrus Contributing Member

Bibby dunked in a game against the Timberwolves last season. He and Bobby Jackson had a little side bet going near the end of the season to see who who would dunk first. B-Jax won the bet, I can't remember who the Kings were playing, though.