1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bottom Line: Texas A@M better than UT

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Holden, Nov 9, 2002.

1. haven

haven Member

Refman:

If the game were in College Station, I'd be worried. But can you really blame Texas fans? We've got an advantage at just about every position this year. Man-for-man, it's the biggest mismatch in the series in a long, long time. And Texas has home field. And they have more to play for.

Before BC played ND, my dad took a ND win for granted. That made it that much more fun to call him and enjoy my team's win... but I couldn't exactly blame him for overlooking our team.

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Better in any way the word can possible be used. That Ohio State team ranked in the top ten nationally in total offense, scoring offense, total defense, and scoring defense. It beat each of its 11 victims by double-digit points, including Top 15 teams West Virginia, Penn State, Michigan, and Texas A&M.

OSU played 19 minutes of bad football that year and lost to Michigan State. I'm not saying they deserve anything other than what they got-- the #2 final ranking in both polls. I'm not even arguing they should have been in the Fiesta Bowl or that they would have beaten Tennessee; this isn't about hypotheticals.

I'm just saying that in the 19 years I've watched college football, including 14 in which I could reasonably be expected to understand what the hell was going on, the 1998 Ohio State team is the second best I've seen.

3. haven

haven Member

BK and I agree on something! Amazing! I thought we were even going to disagree on football, for all eternity.

That OSU team was absolutely fantastic. It was star-studded on both sides of the ball. They absolutely trounced nearly every team they faced, then decisively won their BCS game. I can still remember how shocked I was when they lost.

I think that team was better than Vtech or FSU, easily.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I agree. When the underdog Longhorns beat the Aggies I felt sick (I was an Aggie fan till high school). No question the underdog can win. Recent examples are '98 and '99.

And I'm trying to always use if not when in my statements.

5. ESource

ESource Member

Hey Ref,

I haven't forgotten my man! This game is going to be BIGGER than I originally thought especially after our game w/ OU. So who's it going to be? Long or McNeal as the starter? Be ready cuz Roy's hammy looks fully healed!;)

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

If it isn't McNeal for the rest of the season then A&M should fire Slocum on that basis alone.

Should you win our bet I will make good the following week. I will be in Las Vegas until December 1...so I may not have access to a computer that week.