1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Jul 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I saw Ferris Bueller for the first time at the I-45 Drive In.

2. lalala902102001

Underwent a surgery a couple of weeks ago for a disease that is considered "rare among younger people".

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

There's an easy trick for this I think: for every album that you bought, there were 10,000 (at least) that you never even heard. Instead of waiting for something new to strike you, go backwards instead and listen to something that was made before you were born, or something made while you were alive that you never listened to.

It's sorta ridiculous to put so much faith in an album that might come out this year being good when we have an entire century of recorded music already here, just waiting for us to find the good bits.

4. what

what Member

I have to say I'm in that boat to. I hardly ever listen to any music on a regular basis anymore.

I'd rather go to a bar down in clarksdale, ms and hear some dirty blues music that I can dance to, than to go see some alternative idie band. Blues I still can tolerate if it is the jimmy reed kind of blues.

You know, this kind of ****:
    <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZOixNv89d4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I was playing poker this weekend and New Year's Day came on the radio. We had a minor debate about what album it was from and I suddenly realized that I considered everything after War, as their new stuff and that I was really, really old.

6. Fatty FatBastard

[​IMG]

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

great one, makes you think of what you were doing and how much life has changed since you wrote it.

8. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

Driving with no music on and enjoying the peace and quiet...

Songs that were new and popular in high school are now on sunny 99.1...

I was 12 when the rockets won in 94...I'll be 30 next year :(

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The early 30s in a person's life is a strange age range. You are young enough to associate with a lot of stuff considered "young" such as new technology, PC's, Smart Phones, you probably play video games, etc. Girls in their early 20s are still in range, but barely, even though you can hardly stand talking to them. Things you enjoyed while a kid are coming back in new ways (Transformers, GI Joe, etc).

The other side of it is that you are not quite old. You can still hear a new song come out and enjoy it, you may/may not have a kid yet, you aren't quite to the age where you have to have the various "mandatory" health check ups. You still like a little adventure, going out late a night, while infrequent, is still something you do from time to time. It's a weird middle groung. I guess that's why they made a show called "Thirty-Somethings". Which actually dates me a little since I remember it coming on TV.

Things I've started noticing the last year or two:

1. Things I enjoyed/watched/participated in while in college are now getting old. Even 3-4 years ago, they still seemed fairly new. Movies like the Lord of the Rings are now pretty old.

2. Up until about 3-4 years ago, any girl from about 18-27 looked about the same age. Now girls from 18-21 LOOK young.

3. Toys I played with are collector's items.

4. Players I saw drafted, rooted for as rookies, saw develop, win championships, get older, get traded away, rooted for in their gold years, and finally retire are now entering the HOF. (Hall of Famers are supposed to be people I never saw play or only saw near the end of their career!)

5. My joints creak sometimes.

6. I have a few gray hairs, which I did NOT have a couple years ago.

7. Is that a bald spot coming out?

10. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Rudy freakin Huxtable. I can remember her so vividly in the little league football episode. Look at her now. Damn I'm old. :(

[​IMG]

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i don't have the stomach for that.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Just became 21 a couple of weeks ago ... it makes me feel kind of old.

13. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

haha 21 is old? try 28! ;)

the summer interns here at my job makes me feel old.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

First time I saw gray in my goatee I went for a week honestly thinking I spilled toothpaste on it. It was a sad day when I tried to wash it out to no avail. :(

15. leroy

You went a week without washing your face?

16. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

watching Marcus Camby be a 14 year veteran.....I remember rooting for that UMass Minutemen team with calipari,and the edgar padilla and carmello trevioso backcourt....loved that team, thats when I first got hooked on bball

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Confusing wording. It took me a week of trying to scrub it out before I realized it wasn't toothpaste.....and it wasn't coming out. (phrases that sound dirty but aren't...)

- That "old man" Brett Favre? He's only 2 days older than me. And he is already a grandfather - whereas I will be a first-time father in about 5 weeks. So although we're the same age, his granddaughter will be older than my son(s).

18. Jimes

Jimes Member

Looking at my iPhone and trying to remember how I ever traveled to another city to visit anyone without getting lost or how I organized an informal dinner or basketball game with friends. Then realizing that I used to do those things more than I do now!

A month ago, I saw one of those old credit card things where you put the card in and slide that handle over it to imprint it on some carbon paper. I just stood there for a few seconds in shock.

19. leroy

Don't feel bad. He's from Mississippi.

Feeling like I've stayed out too late when I get home at 10:30 pm.

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather shop at a brick and morter store than wait three days for a package to be delivered when I will not be home.