1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Raiders coach should be fired

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Desert Scar, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Here is the situation. Chiefs have the ball on the 4 with a 3 point lead, 3rd and goal. Clock is at like 2:35 and counting, the Raiders have a time out left. They don't use it and let the time go to 2:00.

1st, this lets the time go down to 2:00 before the next play. Even if KC does a running play, they can take the time down to like 1:52 going into the FG. If the Raiders take the timeout on 3rd down well before the two minute warning the clock will at worst be 2:00 going into the kick.

2nd, and more importantly, by not using the timeout, letting the clock go to 2:00, they give KC more free reign on the play. Now KC already has the time at 2:00 going into the next play. They also know the Raiders have a time out, so there is little draw back from calling a pass play even if they have to throw it away to stop the clock. If the clock was like 2:30, they would have a hard time not deciding to run it because throwing an incomplete pass would let the Raiders have the ball (assuming a good field goal, then the kickoff) with more than 2:00 minutes left and with the two minute warning.

In short, it was a no brainer for the Raiders to use their last timeout on that 3rd down—it would save time and really constrain what KC would likely call. They didn't. What is the result, KC runs play action with little to lose, and get the TD to seal the game.

It is unbelievable guys could get paid so much money and having so much responsibility can be so stupid. And I thought Jim Mora and Dave Campo were out of the league.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

and 1 timeout and under 2 minutes left gives you a shot to score twice?

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Jim Haslett is a moron with him.

The Saints probably win this game, if not for terrible clock management. Saints down six, their ball on the ATL 28, 2:30 left. Falcons have no timeouts. RUN THE DAMN CLOCK! There's no excuse for Brooks to be running out of bounds to stop the clock, or to throw it away instead of taking the dumpoff pass.

The Saints couldn't stop Michael Vick all game long... they just could not tackle him when they got pressure in the backfield, and sooner or later a receiver will come open, or a running lane for Vick will open up. I'm not sure if the Falcons punted once all game long... I would not bet on my defense to hold them out of field goal range with a full 2:20 to go.

Yeah, Deuce got the touchdown for the Saints, and you can't blame him. However, if you run a couple of players prior to that, Deuce may score that TD with about 40 seconds left, opposed to 2:20.

What's incredible is that this is the second week in a row this has happened. Last week, the Saints had first and goal on the San Francisco 1, 2:00 left, and the Niners with only one timeout. (leading by one) KNEEL! The worst case scenario, and highly unlikely, is that you can't score on third and fourth downs, and the Niners are backed up inside their own 5 with no timeouts and 20 seconds to play.

It's a whole lot more likely for the Niners to come from down 8, 2:00 left, with a timeout than for them to come from down 1, 20 seconds left, inside their own 5, with no timeouts.

Haslett's a great coach in several areas, but this guy does not understand the clock at all. It almost cost us last week, and it did this week.

4. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

There's no stopping the CHIEFS O or the CHoakland losing streak.

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Vick is simply amazing...I hope he gets better.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Imagine what he could do, if given RBs worth a damn (Duckett in the future maybe), and especially WRs.

7. Elvis Costello

This has nothing to do with Haslett's clock management. Brooks running out of bounds is on Brooks.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Well, it partially is, but for the players on the field, especially quarterbacks, it's a natural instinct to go out of bounds. If you're Haslett, you should be screaming at them to stay in bounds and fall down.

Maybe I'm wrong, and he did. However, considering Haslett botched the time management last week too, I don't have a lot of faith in him.

We should've won, but props to Michael Vick... he made the plays he had to make. Every time the Falcons were in third and long, he bought himself enough time to open up a running lane or find someone open downfield. Great player.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I have been trying to tell you this Cat;)

On the positive side, NO still looks as good as anyone. The NFL sucks right now, there are no great teams anymore. Every since they shackled Jerry Jones pocketbook no team can dominante in all phases, sad.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Agree 110%

You have untalented teams, being able to win 10 games a year now. That might be great for people who get caught up in the whole "Cinderella" thing, but it makes for some really boring games to watch.

11. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Whatever. Yeah there is just no stopping the Chiefs. We had a 5 game win streak on them before this game. Woodson, Adams, Wheatley, Buchanon, and Kirby's injuries have nothing to do with the losing streak. Dont worry the Chiefs will have a date in Oakland later this year.

Bill Callahan didnt cost Oakland this game alone, Jerry Rice's fumble with them moving the ball down by 3 in the 4th did the deed. If anything , I am getting sick of Janikowski missing a field goal or 2 every friggin game.
    We are going to have trouble till our secondary gets healthy. However, yesterday the undermanned D wasnt that bad. Our offensive inability to put more than 10 points on a pathetic KC defense was the problem. Rich shouldnt be throwing 50+ times a game with Garner back there. Garner only getting 10 carries when he is averaging almost 5 yds per carry is crazy. That is where I lay some of it on Callahan/Trestman.