1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What college players impressed you this weekend 10/10-12/02?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Possum, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Possum

Possum Member

How about Greg Jones of Florida st. He had a hell of a game against a tough Miami D, 31 carries for 191 yards. This guy weights 250 #'s.:eek:

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

Two words: Greg Jones.

Best running back in the nation, bar none. You simply don't do that to Miami unless a) you are the best at your position or b) their defensive line isn't as good as advertised. I'd like to think (a) is correct.

Yes, Jones is better than Clarett, Griffin, O. Smith, McGahee, Benson, Suggs, and the rest of them. He will be right in the mix for the Heisman by the end of the year, if he isn't already.

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Sorry you lose, please try again next time! :)

Jones did have a good week but Clarett has been doing it week end and week out. I know again I'm a Buckeye homer but give me Clarett any day of the week.

4. Live

Live Member

FSU OLine: Jones played well, but don't discount the job the FSU OLine did. I've never seen a UM DLine dominated like that. In fact, they so dominated UM's DL, they were consistently getting to the 'second level' and busting the Miami LB's. Miami's speed and athleticism saved the day for them, otherwise they would have lost by at least 4 TDs.

The Cyclones of Iowa State University: ISU gives long-suffering UH alums like myself hope. ISU was awful a few years ago, and yet here they are, taking care of a TT team coming in on a high, smack dab in the middle of the B12 North race. Good for them!

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

how 'bout that Chris Simms guy!!!??? wow!!!

:( :(

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Jones played well but his O-Line really helped him big time.

I still think that Miami should have brought up a safety and used 8 men in the box.

However, don't forget about Willis McGahee. Yes, FSU did an outstanding job in keeping him under wraps with 92 yards rushing, but his 68 yard reception on a screen pass helped set up the winning touchdown. He showed once again, that he WILL somehow come up with a big play in every game.

I know the one player that did NOT do well....Freddie Capshaw.

I think he can be crossed off the Ray Guy list.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Clarett also has OL who weren't recruited primarily as pass blockers either...

FSU's OL stinks when it comes to run-blocking.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Obviously Quinton (sp?) Griffin impressed, the OU OL did an ok job, but Griffin made most of his yards after juking the UT LBs.

Oregon's Onterrio Smith is my choice as best overall RB in the nation. The guy simply is able to elude defenders so easily, and earns every yard he gets.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

They did a pretty good damn job of dominating what was supposed to be the best front 7 in the country.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

That was the exception, rather than the rule...

11. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Clarett is the best RB in the nation.

But I'll go the way of this thread and put in a plug for my favorite team (which I think is ridiculous, but no one else is a Vatech fan so they won't even be mentioned).

Suggs and Jones somehow share the ball and destroy defenses with about hmm 10-15 pass ATTEMPTS per game.

12. mduke

mduke Member

Jones and Suggs for co-Heismans. Anyone with me?

13. mfclark

mfclark Member

And Jones hasn't? Save for the mess in Louisville, he's been doing it every week against a much tougher schedule than Clarett has faced.

Clarett will be good...but he's not the best in college football now.

14. mfclark

mfclark Member

Greg Jones shares carries with Nick Maddox, who regularly sees 50-70 yards rushing per game, plus a couple of passes thrown his way. He's about as close to Suggs as Suggs is to Greg Jones.

Suggs and Jones, however, are the only duo left with the chance to beat Miami...but will it be enough?

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

KR8-
    Check out OSU's linemen. They have only 2 guys who have a shot of Big Ten honors (Stipanovich and Olivea). THey have a walk on senior (Stafford) who has never been in a game before this year who is starting.
    This is not your typical OSU line. There is no Orlando Pace, no Korey Stringer (RIP) to lead the way.

If you watch OSU you will see that Clarett gets most of his yards after initial contact. He does not have a great O-line in front of him. They are average to slightly above average. I would love to trade our 5 O-linemen to Va Tech. As for FSU I haven't watched them play enough to say if they are better or not, but they looked very good against a great Miami defense.

16. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Neither Hypl or Simms.....ugh.

17. tozai

tozai Member

I think Clarett is really damn good, but I think Greg Jones is even better. That guy is a beast. 250 lbs of power and speed. I also think the Va tech RBs are better than Clarett.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Greg Jones is the best RB I have seen this year, hands down. About three weeks ago I didn't think he was anything special (going by memory of last year), but I admitted I was wrong 2 weeks ago, let alone after the showing last week. Jones was turning none yard plays into 4-5 yard plays, 4-5 yard plays into 10 yard plays, and springing bigger plays than that. This was against one of the elite defenses in the land. The most dominanting performance I have seen since Ricky W.

I havn't seen Clarett beat down a good defense yet. He has been playing against mainly weak compitition, with an excellent defense that gets him a lot of chances and in good field position, and with a good O-line. He is a very good player for sure, but let's see how he does against quality opposition who knows he is coming at them before putting him in Jones class (closest team was WSU--but they are more offensive then defensive anyway--they have given up lots of points and yards to a number of other teams) .

I also have been very very impressed with Jones and Suggs from VT--more so than McGahee who has speed and good size but who doesn't look as nifty between the tackles which you have to be as a pro unless you are Barry Sanders (which McGahee is not).
    O Smith is a little the opposite. Not that big, not that fast, but a smart, shifty, pretty strong player. Probably will make it to the pros but I don't think we are looking at an elite pro back in Smith.

For now my top 3 as pro picks would probably be Jones (G), Jones (K) and Clarett (or Suggs). I will say Ced Benson looks very overrated, as much as I hate to admit it.

19. Nomar

Nomar Member

Jones is good. I remember he broke like 8 tackles on a TD run the week before against Vtech i think.