1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody Watching!?! Texans vs. Bills

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Truth, Oct 13, 2002.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The 2 games I actually cried from, was the in the 92 season, that dreaded Buffachoke game. Then the next year, when we lost to Joe Montana and KC in the 2nd round in the Dome. I cried in the KC game because I knew that was the end of the Oilers being any good, with the looming salary cap. Little did I know, that meant the end of the Oilers period.

2. milo

milo Member

posted byTrader_Jorge

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

3. drapg

drapg Member

i was on the 50 yard line at the dome for the joe montana game. i remember being a 16 year old sitting humped over in my chair after the loss. i refused to leave b/c i knew i would never see my idol, warren moon, in columbia blue again. i stayed after the game for at least 3 hours, with about 10 other diehard fans, waiting to shake the hand of Warren Moon. he came out, saw our little support group, and cried. he signed memorabilia for all of us and thanked us for all our years of support.

i'll never forget that.

#23 drapg, Oct 13, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2002
  4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Plus, there's just such an expectation that the Texans are going to lose a lot this season that it's hard to get upset. Any win, to me, seems like exceeding expectations. The Oilers were, too often, falling short of expectations. And that can be painful.

5. drapg

drapg Member

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Well, I think part of it is that there obviously aren't the expectations for the Texans as an expansion franchise that there were for the Oilers. We all subconsciously have to have accepted that losses are gonna happen this year.

That being said, that taunting penalty was absolute bull****. You can call taunting on any play in the game. How about when a defender flexes his muscles after a sack, or when a defensive back talks trash to the receiver when he breaks up a pass? Or when Brett Favre and Warren Sapp are talking to each other after a sack?

That call clearly turned the game around, and to totally change the momentum and flow of a game on something that could be called on almost every single play... that's ridiculous.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I will always hate one of those Cash twins (UT's very own), for chunking the football into the Buddy Ryan mural in the end zone. That is the first memory I think of, when I think of the Oilers.

:mad: :mad: :(

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Wasn't that the year Gary Brown had like 1,000 yards in only 8 games? I know the year the Chiefs beat us that year we had won 12 in a row and were favorite to represent the AFC. We also beat the 49ers in SF on Christmas day but the Rockets lost to the Suns on that same day.

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I was overcome with anger as well upon witnessing that display. That was perhaps the best regular season the Oilers had in the late 80's / early 90's playoff run they had. I remember Jeff Alm's death being the rallying point for the team, which then reeled off something like 12 consecutive victories. That defense was absolutely unstoppable, but Montana was too much to overcome.

Returning to the subject, I would be physically affected by Oiler losses (illness was not uncommon), but am relatively callous to Texans losses. I think part of it is expectations for the team, part of it is the draft situation for next year (winning means forfeiting picks) and then the other part of it is that there really is no history for me and the players. I made emotional bonds with some of the longtime Oilers like Moon, Jefferies, Givens, Childress, Lathon, Al Smith, Dishman, etc, after watching them over the years. I think with time those same type of bonds could be made with guys like Carr, Wells (who I saw out on the town Monday night -- I won't tell you where though :cool: ), Gaffney, Sharper (who I saw at The Social on Friday), Glenn, etc. It will just take time.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Actually, it was an 11-game win streak...

We started off 1-4, and reeled off 11 in a row. I never cried so hard over a loss in my life, than that KC loss.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i disagree. play the game and keep your mouth shut. period. i bet capers wishes he had the talent and/or depth to make an example of foreman. these guys need a reality check. that was f-ing moronic and likely cost us the game.

btw, if you're searching for bull**** calls, i thought the one on bradford's catch in the back of the end zone was a head scratcher. he had possession, he was inbounds... to me anyway, that's a no brainer TD, and it had it gone that way, the texans are down 3 on their last drive and could've kicked the FG.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Agreed on the Bradford call... I couldn't believe it. Of course, that was early in the game, so it's harder to predict what would've eventually happened.

I agree with your assessment about keeping your mouth shut. However, the problem I have is this. After every sack, Gary Walker is out there flexing his muscles. I think London Fletcher did it after he brought down David Carr. Players do it on almost every play. It doesn't make it right; however, if an official is trying to make a statement about it, it should be done some other time besides when the game is on the line.

If the officials want to cut that out, it is fine by me. I'd love it if they did. However, I can point to about twenty other instances of taunting in that game. Either call it all the time, or leave it alone. Calling it selectively is silly.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Only problem with that is we don't know what was said. (At least I don't know for sure - I haven't checked the wire stories tonight) It might have been something beyond just the flexing of the arms or whatever else they usually let go.

Either way, it was just another stupid penalty in a game full of them. We should have had this game. And Foreman's mistakes were totally unacceptable.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The difference between Foreman's taunt and those of Fletcher and Gary Walker, was that Foreman actually came over and head-butted the Bill's player. When I saw the replay, I agreed with the call. Not only did Foreman run 15 yards over to the sideline to taunt the guy, but he also head-butted him.

15. Hey Now!

i'm not defending celebrations, but the difference is that walker, et al, are celebrating the accomplishment (ie the sack), not showing up the player or players on the receiving end of said accomplishment. extremely fine line, i know, but...

if foreman had merely jumped up and down, waved his arms, pumped his fist, flexed his muscles, etc., and celebrated the end of the drive, there almost certainly would've been no flag.

but he didn't.

he ran up to price, who, you have to remember, was by his lonesome on the texans' sideline, got up in his face and taunted him specifically and directly for failing to make a play; a play, btw, foreman had no direct impact on.

imo, foreman deserved the flag.

16. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

It would be silly to get upset about the team losing..
    It's really refreshing to watch them play and not get that emotional letdown when they lose..I just think it's a lot of fun watching the progress.

The buffalo choke..I was watching that game with a few buddies and at one point,after one of the bills TD's..I jumped up off the couch and into the air...well I jumped a little too high and busted my head on one of those cheap glass light covers...cut my forehead pretty bad ... So anyway I have a pretty bad scare at the top of my forehead that reminds me of that game often...don't know why I told that story...Whenever asked I usually just say it was a car accident :eek:

17. Timing

Timing Member

Tough loss today but like everyone has said, I don't really mind because we have a bigger picture in mind here with those draft picks. Couple of thoughts I had on the game. Our safeties SUCK. They can't tackle, they can't hit, and they can't cover. That pass that Bledsoe lofted across the middle to Josh Reed should have resulted in a wrongful death lawsuit. No way the ball can be in the air that long across the middle and someone not be getting crushed. That was a Ronnie Lott knockout special and Stevens totally whiffed on it. I also lost count of how many missed tackles Brown and Stevens had, it was embarrassing and the Bills exploited them hard. Wells is clearly the better running back and it's a shame he's not in there more often, especially early in the game when we could try to establish the run. He did give up that sack late in the game though so I can see him not being in there in passing situations. Carr looked pretty solid out there when he had time but it seems our receivers have way too much trouble getting open. Charles Rogers would look mighty fine out there. We could use a tight end that can get open too. Those Foreman penalties were moronic. James Posey needs more PT anyway.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

we're definitely improving...that's a great thing!

the bradford touchdown was bumbled by the refs TWICE! first on the call..then on the replay.

foreman shouldn't have taunted...he knew the rules and he broke them.

19. Hey Now!

no kidding, though, in stevens' defense, he played the football, not the receiver, and i think, as a free safety, that's what he's supposed to do. remember the dallas game? he was the guy who blasted the cowboy receiver at the goaline on a badly overthrown pass, which cost us a big first down. it wouldn't shock me if, after that, capers ripped him for playing the man and not the ball, and so...

and i disagree on brown. he did miss some tackles yesterday, but he was not alone (sharper whiffed on henry's 23-yard TD run). and he still made some big plays, including sacking bledsoe and knocking the ball loose on what turned out to be their winning drive. unfortunately, buffalo was able to recover. he's made plays all year and is ordinarily a solid tackler.

re: carr's receivers, i was thinking the same thing, though BUF did bring a lot of pressure in the second half, so they had less time to get open.

as for foreman/posey, they play different positions; foreman's inside, posey's outside.