1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What college players impressed you this weekend 10/03-05/02?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Possum, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Possum

Possum Member

I didn't get to watch that many games so I would like to hear who you thought was impressive this weekend.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

This was probably the most boring week of college football for me, meaning that I didn't really focus much on players, as I was channel surfing like crazy.

The one player who stood out, was Oregon RB Onterrio Smith. IMO, he's the best draft eligible RB in the sense that he's great at running b/t tackles and outside the tackles. He has great 1-on-1 moves against LBs and DBs, which allow him to get extra yardage.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

QB B. Smith Missouri...almost beat OU. Was fun to watch run. Needs to be more accurate with passes....especially over the middle.

WR S. Thomas Texas...Only watched two games and he was the best in the UT-OSU game. When in the 5 wide set, he teamed up with Roy Williams on the short side of the field against 3 defenders. It became quit apparent that when Roy becomes healthy, Sloan and him will be able to take it to three defenders.

4. Live

Live Member

You have to be impressed with what Kliff Kingsbury did. The guy was, what, 49 of 59, or something like that. I don't care if the quasi-Run & Shoot that TT runs does allow for a lot of high percentage short passes, that's still impressive, especially considering the opposition.

Long was awesome as well, seems like the Aggies may have found a QB. (A&M still needs an OLine and some backs)

Not players, but still impressive (Definitely the Week of the Coach):

Franchione (sp?) - Still has the Tide ready to play and play HARD every week despite the sanctions.

Willingham - Getting the most out of his players. That sucking sound you hear is the air escaping yet another racial stereotype.

Tedford from Cal-Berkeley - Beat UDub in Seattle (no small task) for the first time in a WHILE! This team won 1 whole game last year, now they may go bowling! Don't laugh, but Berkeley could become a power in FB if it really wanted to. They're THE school to go to in Cali & we all know about the California talent base. Maybe they finally have the right coach for the job.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

ditto. He picked apart the Aggie secondary like they were nothing.

6. herbie hancock

i went to the ut-osu game on saturday and was very impressed with sloan thomas and basically every reciever osu had. i dont know their names but i counted three spectacular receptions from them with one going for a touchdown caught inbetween two texas defenders.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Jimmy Kennedy DT, from Penn State. Had like 3 sacks and just a huge game beating Wisconsin. Important win for the Nittany Lions coming off a huge upset to Iowa in Happy Valley. Don't know if any of y'all have see the Lions play this year, but they have a good QB in Zack Mills and the Johnson bros on offense are a joy to watch. Draft wise 3/4's of their starting D-line are potential NFL starters.

Brad Smith from Missouri. Holy crap where'd this guy come from? He's a QB mind you and ran for 213 yards and 2 touchdowns against Oklahoma!

8. Possum

Possum Member

That was an impressive game by Kingsberry. How about most unimpressive? I'm assuming Rex Grosman is out of the heisman running. I finally got to see M Clarret (spelling?) RB Ohio St. Did I hear right, he is only 19? :eek: He had three fumbles but he is going to be something special. #7 for Ohio St, I think gamble was his name. This kid plays both ways and on special teams. He looked like a potential "special player".

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

OSU-
    Clarett is only 18 I believe? Finally had a bad game (140 yards but the 3 fumbles were bad). Good side is he always tucks the ball in very well so it's not because of bad habits/laziness that he fumbles. Bad side is there will probably be more fumbles just because it takes 2-3 people to bring him down and while he's figthing for yardage people are picking for the ball. But he is special. THat was the first game he really didn't spring a long run though.

Gamble is the guy who plays both ways and returns kicks. He is a good receiver but we try to get him the ball as much as possible (returns) and our CBs are our weak link on defense so in critiacal situations (mostly goal line situations) he plays CB.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

According to the duo broadcasting the game. Smith (a freshman) hails from Youngstown, Ohio. They also said that the Mizzou coach had to spend a half day (maybe a whole day) with Smith's church group so they could evaluate the coach and his program!