1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2003 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mprodrig, Sep 26, 2002.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Charles Rogers is easily the best WR in the nation, hands down.

Roy W is in the 2nd tier with Kelly Washington, Andre Johnson, and Reggie Williams. I may be forgetting other guys.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Uh what are you talking about? In the NFL Draft, players are always willing to play for the team they were drafted by, except for John Elway, 20 years ago...

Also, the Texans have the best stadium and practice facilities in the NFL, in addition to rowdy fans and a great owner.

It's not like the Texans are going to be perennial losers like the Cardinals or Bengals.

3. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

And Bryant McKinnie a few months ago.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I was making fun of 4chuckie. I personally think the Houston sports franchises have an advantage over alot of other cities because of weather, size, and no state income tax. The last one would be a huge deal to me, if I were a millionaire.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Casserly has a history of taking recievers early. However a lot depends on where we are at the end of the season If we do have the number one pick we will have a ton of options. A few cellar dweller teams like the Bungles and Ravens will be looking for a QB. If we can pull of a trade like the Chargers got suckered into for Leaf, that would be our best option. Drop down a few spots pick up some extra picks and still get an impact player.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

McKinnie is being lowballed by the Vikes... What I was assuming was that gr8-1 was referring to refusing to play for a team, for non-contract reasons.

If you lowball anyone like the Vikes have, of course no one will sign. I don't think that will be a problem with the Texans.

7. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Only 1 6th round next year, we used one of em in the late draft or whatever it's called on an inelligable O-lineman from FSU.

8. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

I personally would like the Texans to draft either Charles Rogers or Roy Williams with their first pick. Rogers may put up the better stats, but when Williams is healthy, he's on another level. Also keep in mind that Rogers is a one man offense while Williams plays with a top 5 RB(Ced Benson) and 2 top wideouts(BJ Johnson and Sloan Thomas). I follow college football and the draft quite closely so if I had to predict the top 10 in the draft next year it would be something like this (also incorporating my prognosticating ability...or lack thereof).

1. Cincinnati Bengals - Chris Simms
    2. Detroit Lions - Roy Williams
    3. Minnesota Vikings - William Joseph
    4. Baltimore Ravens - Byron Leftwich
    5. Houston Texans - Charles Rogers
    6. St Louis Rams - EJ Henderson
    7. New York Giants - Kelley Washington
    8. New York Jets - Jimmy Kennedy
    9. Pittsburgh Steelers - Dave Ragone
    10. Carolina Panthers - Eli Manning

I know Simms going number one seems like quite a stretch, but it might not be far from a reality. If he continues to play well this year(in big games?), combined with his physical attributes and knowledge of a pro style offense, Simms is a VERY good candidate for a top 5, if not number 1 pick.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'm sure Ragone may have a slightly stronger arm, but I think Manning will end up being the best of the bunch. I like Simms as well. Leftwich seems like a less mobile version of Culpepper.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree with you that Rogers is the best in the land. Personally, I think because he is so much of the MSU offense that has impressed me more--he can catch it with defenses trying to stop him and knowing the ball is coming. He is sick.

However, your "2nd tier" is better than the best receiver coming out in a typical college year. Personally I think Roy W. is the next most promising after Rogers--Washington seems to have me over the team attitude problems and Reggie has questions about his physical dedication. Andre, he isn't as big and isn't the focus of other teams defenses--IMO the jury is out on him.

11. Milos

Milos Member

If the Texans really want to help Carr, I think the best thing they could do in next year's draft would be finding a stud tailback to take pressure off the passing game.
    I'm not sure, but I remember hearing last year that William Green would be the best back available in the next two drafts, meaning there won't be much to choose from. If he's available, I think Lee Suggs would be worth our top 2nd round pick.
    Jonathan Wells is not a top-notch starter in the NFL; clearly we need to upgrade. If we could come away with Rogers and Suggs (or another top RB), I think Carr would be the happiest man in Houston.

12. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

C'mon, this is Houston....what about the Jim Everett debacle? Actually that worked out well for the Oilers because they ended up signing Warren Moon and got Sean Jones and a couple first rounders for Everett if I remember correctly after he sat out for a year cuz he didn't want to play in front of a few thousand people in a dome with bags over their heads.