1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Carmelo Anthony update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Merla08, Aug 25, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

If that were the case, they'd have gone past the 1st round more than once during Melo's tenure. Denver has a stacked "group of players". Helped by the fact that they play at a pace where the players grab a lot of nice box score stats.

When it comes to results, the Nuggets haven't really done any better than the Rockets, who have been decidedly not nearly as stacked on paper as Denver the past few years.

2. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I guess we know who didn't get to write about Roy O standing in Left Field.

3. MONON

MONON Member

The whole Nuggets situation has me confussed. Are they actively looking for a GM? If so what's taking them so long, considering the Melo situation. If Melo decides not to sign the extension & the owner decides to trade him, will the owner himself do it or wait to hire the GM to do it? Who would want to sign on as Nuggets GM with the 1st order of business being "trade your star player"?

Some help here, Nuggets4!

4. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

This was my question and his response. He didn't really answer my question.

Jon,

Glad you took some time from your vacation to update us. It's difficult for the fans to determine the speculation and facts from fiction. Do you have any "inside" info on the Carmelo situation. Is he really putting us ahead of NY or NJ? The reason I ask is because this changes everything. Usually in these situations it is the player that dictates where he will go (T-Mac situation a few years ago), and knowing that we can put the best package together, then it should only be a matter of time. If you were a betting man, do you see Carmelo in a Rockets uniform in time for the playoffs???

(He would like to play for the Rockets. I don't know why it would matter how much he would like to play for the Rockets. It's not about where he wants to play most, but where the Nuggets can get the most. The odds don't favor any team over the rest, but given the Rockets' trade assets, I think they would have a better chance than anyone.-- Jonathan)

I disagree about him saying it doesn't matter how much he would like to play and Denver having all the power. If he REALLY wants to go to a destination over the others, that is probably where he will end up. History has shown that the players are the ones that dictate these situations.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great News! As long as Melo isn't a Rocket things are looking good.

6. psingh34

psingh34 Member

lol at anyone who uses this article to proove anything......

off course morey is going to say they are happy with who they are taking to camp.... what do you expect him to say .... we dont think we have a good team and we need to make changes before training camp..

and just because you take a team into training camp, does that mean you wont change your team the rest of the season?

In all likely hood if melo gets traded to anyone, it wont be before the season especially bc they have no GM and when one is hired, he is gonna need time to evaluate the situation

7. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

i think he's saying that among the teams Carmelo approves Denver is gonna try for the best deal. from that perspective it won't matter much if we're 1 or 3 in Anthony's preference.

1 person likes this.
  8. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Take another look my friend.

The Nuggets stacked? They might be 'stacked' at the 4....

9. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

nuggets are not stacked. maybe im forgetting someone

nene-injury prone, worse than yao talentwise
    kenyon martin-sucks
    anderson-sucks
    jr smith-headcase,being traded,role player
    melo-gone,being traded,unhappy there
    billups-very old,not a superstar
    lawsen-good player,but brooks is better

we are better than them at every position except pg,and when billups declines we beat them there to.

10. bucket

bucket Member

I disagree. Do you read Feigan's blog? He has a lot of interesting, reasoned opinions, and he usually answers direct questions.

As for Denver, they'll deal Carmelo wherever they can get the best deal, assuming it's a place he's willing to do a sign-and-extend. However, if Carmelo is really insistent on one place, he could try refusing to sign until Denver comes up with a deal to the destination of his choosing, basically playing a waiting game with the Nuggets. Come the trade deadline, I imagine Carmelo will choose to accept whatever palatable options he has, since he stands to lose a ton of money if he waits to sign a new contract next summer.

At any rate, I think Feigan's right about this one. I don't see any reason the Nuggets would rush to trade Melo before the season.

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Morey isnt gonna say anything about Melo....that would be tampering, no? Just let it play out. He isnt gonna be on our team (or any other) before Feb, if at all

12. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

this article smells of 1 of two things:

1.rockets beat writer trying to inform us,that melo is a pipe dream,to expensive,and the trade would gut us,and morey doesnt want melo

or

2.its a smokescreen to fool denver, if denver thinks we are happy with what we have,then maybe denver will lower their offer.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Chronmelo Anthony.

14. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

everyone keeps saying this, and i wish people would see my side of this,i disagree

1.nuggets are about to hire as gm(this week) a toronto scout
    2.trading for melo at february is dumb,because that isnt enough time to gain chemistry,and he might bolt 2 months later,and what if he's injured? then he wont be able to be traded in february
    3.melo wants out NOW

He is being traded before camp,the question is where?

nets/knicks would make his wife happy,but melo would never be better than bulls,orlando,heat,and even boston for this year

rockets help him avoid playing against leon rose's other client - lebron. You have to remember that Lebron and Melo share the same agent. Makes no sense to have one never reach the finals with both in east conference.

Melo imo-denver/portland/mavs/orleans/rockets

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't know why you guys are complaining about Feigan not reporting anything new on the Melo front when there probably isn't anything new to report.

Teams made offer, Denver talked to teams and to Melo. Everyone considering options.

16. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

This

Look, if Melo wants out of Denver AND the Rockets are one of his acceptable teams, MELO WILL BE A ROCKET BY THIS SEASON and probably before it starts rather than February.

The Rockets have the assets, no state income tax and Melo's approval. If the above mentioned is true, it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

1. Where did you see this? I didnt see a report about that....but if they DO hire a GM, i would agree that the chances of a deal are better

2. I agree....not to mention that if Yao were to get hurt, that would be one less destination that would be desirable to Melo

3. I think the Nuggets still hold the cards...and there would be a pretty bug fallout in Denver if they punt the season and Melo ends up on another West conf team competing for a title

I just dont see it happening unless they hire a GM...and even when they do, thats an awfully tough spot to be in right off the bat (being the guy who dealt away Melo)

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While I'm not wild about Feigan's coverage of the Rocks, considering that he's on vacation, at least he wrote something. I guess he's like the rest of us, after all.

"For now, it is enough that Anthony would, as SI.com reported last week, sign an extension with the Rockets. It does not really matter if he'd sign his next contract gleefully or merely happily, as long as he would sign it."

This is the nut of what has everyone excited. It's like Sally Field at the Oscars yelling, "you like me!" After the Bosh debacle, we'll grab any hint of someone wanting to come here with both hands. Kind of pathetic, if you think about that too much, so don't think about it too much.

19. ROXCHAMPSIN2k8

FWIW, a good friend of mine works for fedex, he saw Carmelo today at the Doubletree in the Galleria. Sorry he didn't take any pics, he was working.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

thats why hes not coming here. denver has a very good lineup. the only reason he wants out is b/c he wants to go to a big media marker for him AND his wife.

the chances of us getting melo is very slim.