1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by mduke, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

No, he heard it from me ;)

I still stand by it - low scoring game, 10-3, Bama prevails.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well, you better hope that Alabama gets a defense by then.:p

I know with you being in TX and me being in TN that you didn't get to see the Bama-MT game today except highlights. Maybe if you saw the game, you would change your mind.

Are you not sure that this is just blind hatred that has manifested itself into a ridiculous prognostication??:)

I hate OU as much as anyone, but I am realistic here. If Bama does win that game, then Pued, you need to have your name changed to Puedlfor the Greek.

3. mduke

mduke Member

Just for the record: UT will run the table right? And what will the score be tonight, fortune teller Pued(he knows what I'm talking about...;))

4. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Navarr spiked the ball with 5 sec left on the clock. Brabbs is to Kick the field goal. He's missed two beofre, now he has a chance to take the revenge. Snap,...It's Good. Miiiichiigan Wins.......The place is rocking............. :D

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Oh, I'm pretty sure it is. But OU looked like crap vs Tulsa, I don't believe they can move the ball on a team with Div 1 athletes.

UT will run the table - but I predict UT will run the table every year, unfortunately, I am unable to pick against the Longhorns - ever. Even if they were playing Ditka.

Texas will win tonight 49-13.

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

FSU looked very impressive, especially on the defensive end of the ball, for 3 quarters today. As the fans started to leave, satisfied with a 30-0 lead, and the 2nd and 3rd string players on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball came in, Virginia caught back up and the game ended at 40-19, but FSU's defense answered any questions from last week.

Of course, the offense was inconsistant, namely the air game with a couple of INTs - but when you can rush for darn near 400yds on the ground as a team, you don't have much to worry about. If both the offense and defense click, teams are going to have to watch out....perhaps starting next week with Maryland.

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

College basketball is better than NBA, college basketball kicks ass, thats the best thing to watch.:D

8. mduke

mduke Member

College Football, College Basketball, and NBA are all great;)

UT prediction: 62- 10

OSU- La Tech: 21-17, OSU

9. drapg

drapg Member

man what the hell was up with UT in that second half...

Greg Davis strikes again with his lousy offensive play calling... i thought we were done with that WR runs out 1 yard turn sideways and Chris Simms throws a horizontal pass, leading to a minimal gain... gimme a break!!!

and the run/pass blocking??? don't get me started...

all i gotta say is that this o-line better gel before Oct. 12 or we're in some trouble! :mad:

10. mduke

mduke Member

Didn't get to see the game.........For the people that saw both games:

Was it basically reversed? (OU bad 1st half, good 2nd, UT good 1st half, bad 2nd)

11. drapg

drapg Member

i saw both games...

and yeah, you summed it up...

TX couldn't run at all on UNT... Ced ended up with only 50 yards... and they kept calling the same running play up the right side between the tackle and guard... UNT saw it coming every time...

Simms got sacked something like 8 times! the o-line was just letting the defense fly through...

the only reason we scored at all was our AMAZING DEFENSE and Nathan Vasher! I think our worst field position after a punt was the 50 yard line in the first half!!!! Vasher had a special teams game for the ages... every time it looked like he was down, he'd pull an Allen Iverson move and break the ankles of every would be tackler!!!!

I'd like to officially start the Vasher for Heisman campaign... anyone with me?

If Greg Davis opens up the playbook, we could take OU's defense, which looked pretty meager on Friday...

of course, we have to consider this was only the first game and there will be some rust to knock off... so take all of this with a grain of salt.

still, best game of the weekend had to be Michigan v. Washington

Man, i just spent the last 24 hours watching nothing but college football and I'm loving it!

"I'm busting Jerry, I'm busting!"

#51 drapg, Sep 1, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2002
  12. lpbman

lpbman Member

LSU - Virginia Tech predictions??

13. Major

Major Member

LSU - Virginia Tech predictions??

VaTech romps.

Like the other 3 random conference champs (Illinois, Maryland, and Colorado), LSU proves to be a one-hit wonder.

For reference on the UT game, UT gained fewer yards than it did vs. OU last year. :( That Mean Green defense kicked our tails in the 2nd half.

Simms had his ups and downs. Looked really good in the first half. Actually threw some balls to receivers in stride. Still locks on to guys and doesn't put enough air under the deep balls to let receivers make plays. Seemed fairly mobile and threw well on the run. Receivers were great early then dropped some darts later on. Benson got nowhere.

O-Line looked like crap on the pass and run. Defense looked awesome all the way around. Vasher looked great. Anyone know why we elected to kick off to start both halves? Anyone know what happened to Victor Ike and Ivan Williams? Did Selvy take the #2 running back spot?

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Victor Ike transferred. Selvin is the solid #2. I think that speaks volumes about Mack finally playing whoever the best guy is. Counting redshirt freshman, there were a ton of guys playing for UT for the first time.

A few things:

1. OL prevented this game from being a blowout. Glynn looks like crap at center. Mack never gave a second look to Ben Wilkerson, Greg Barnum or Bob Morton, some studs at center from Texas who have gone elsewhere.

2.Simms looked good. Wish he were a bit more mobile, but heck, Mock, who is mobile was sacked twice. Receivers dropped a few.

3. Vasher has some of the quickest feet I've seen.

4. UNT was a bowl team that returned 20 starters and they never lost by more than 28 last year. I think I undersestimated them.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I know its just the first series, but man I don't know how Virginia Tech can use a QB with a torn ACL.

The guy is risking the ability to walk in the future just to play football. That's hardcore.

16. lpbman

lpbman Member

no way

LSU rocks, their parties are too good for the team to suck

17. mduke

mduke Member

If Roy Williams didn't win Heisman as a defensive player, there's absolutely NO CHANCE Vasher does...(unless he is gonna play WR too;))

I guess some of the UT fans(I will not name any names) that were bashing OU could say the same things about Texas last night......

18. drapg

drapg Member

oh I know there's no realistic chance... but a man can dream, can't he? :D

19. mduke

mduke Member